Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In that they both have excellent footwork and movement. I don't think there has been a better counterpuncher than Clijsters over the past 20 years. Both Fed and Kim have an amazing ability to never seem to be off balance. And they both are extremely quick. Kim also has a very good talent for neutralizing pace. Hard hit shots don't seem to bother her. Davenport was hammering forehands to the baseline during the final and Kim didn't break a sweat returning these shots. Other players would have been pushed back, or kept on the back foot facing Lindsay's offensive barage.
As far as I'm concerned Kim has the best movement/footwork in the whole WTA tour. And I think a good counterpuncher in this age of high risk/hyper offensive/lowpercentage plays, will fair well in the next few years. Kim is going to have a nice French Open this year... :worship:

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I wish Kim would watch Roger's matches and try to come to the net more often.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
I agree that Kim's movement is probably the best in the womens game.
she is very athletic and quick.
I wouldn't compare her to federer tho. I don't think you can compare anytone to Federer.
Noone (not Justine, Kim, Serena, Amélie,...) have the same natural souplesse Fed has.
Kim's game is a lot less attacking than Fed's. I don't think we can deny that.
I read in an interview with Dehous (don't remember where) that her volley improved a lot. I must say, that in the final, I didn't really see that. Her serve, slice backhand on the other hand have improved tremendously, IMHO. Her dropshot and excellent lob are still there. Kim (and probably Justine) DO add something extra to the womens game, he/she who doesn't see it is kinda blind. Therefore, I see why you want to compare her to Federer, but as I sad, noone can really be compared to Fed :shrug:

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
The woman that is closest to Fed is Justine, I think, because her game is so complete and she has a marvellous touch.

I have recently heard two experts mention something that could improve in Kim's game: covering the space between the baseline and the net/coming forward. Too often she remains at the baseline when she could actually come forward. The guys who said it were Steven Martens, former coach of Sabine Appelmans and Carl Maes, former coach of Kim. I think they are right and I hope they tell Kim as well.
In any case, I feel Kim's game has once again evolved and that is the most important thing for me: she is still working on her game, keeps finetuning it.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Based on what I saw of IW, Kim's net game remains distinctly dodgy, but it was only her second tournamment back and her first outdoors for bloody months! I agree though that other aspects of her game are improving and I'm sure we'll see these emerging more clearly as she gets more match play........ :devil:

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Hagar said:
The woman that is closest to Fed is Justine, I think, because her game is so complete and she has a marvellous touch.

I have recently heard two experts mention something that could improve in Kim's game: covering the space between the baseline and the net/coming forward. Too often she remains at the baseline when she could actually come forward. The guys who said it were Steven Martens, former coach of Sabine Appelmans and Carl Maes, former coach of Kim. I think they are right and I hope they tell Kim as well.
In any case, I feel Kim's game has once again evolved and that is the most important thing for me: she is still working on her game, keeps finetuning it.
And if I'm not mistaken, Justine and Roger have won Grand Slam tournaments.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
their game style is quite different, IMHO.......

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Kim is more athletic with her movement. Fed floats on air.:eek:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
fed and kim are definitely VERY different

·
Premium Member
20,101 Posts
I wish people would stop comparing Federer's game to Kim and Justines game. He is in a class all by himself, and no female player on the WTA comes close to playing his game. Sorry, they just don't.;)

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
You can compare almost anyone to Roger based on some aspect of their game. Aanyone with a good serve, good forehand, good footwork and movement, good volleys, has won Grand Slams, has a great slice as well as topspin backhand, etc.

·
Premium Member
20,101 Posts
Experimentee said:
You can compare almost anyone to Roger based on some aspect of their game. Aanyone with a good serve, good forehand, good footwork and movement, good volleys, has won Grand Slams, has a great slice as well as topspin backhand, etc.
This statement is to broad. Their is no player on the WTA who uses versatility like Roger Federer. I just don't see it in Kim or Justine, and that's not to say they have some variety but for the most part they are power players.;)

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
fifiricci said:
Oh yes, definitely.

Roger owns a cow, Kimmy doesn't (well, maybe she does, but if she does she hasn't let on :mad: ).....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If we're talking about versatility of shots, there is no one in the men's or women's game who compares to Federer right now.

But there is a similarity in their games, that being movement is key to their success. They are both great at switching from defense to offense and that's facilitated by their movement and ability to switch directions.

Movement: Great movers on the court--Agility and Footwork. Both are tops at changing directions.
(Over the weekend, commentators reported Fed's mum talked about how her son might've been a soccer player.)

Anticipation: Both anticipate the next ball very early. Watch a match and you'll sense that both players are very intuitive players with good court sense so they know where to be on the court.
Anticipation with superior movement helps them get in position quickly for the next strike. Hingis was also tops at anticipating the next ball, but she wasn't quite as good of a mover as Kim and Federer.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
fifiricci said:
Oh yes, definitely.

Roger owns a cow, Kimmy doesn't (well, maybe she does, but if she does she hasn't let on :mad: ).....
:lol:

Similarities: Both speak at least three languages

Roger - French, German, English
Kim - English [with a cute faint Dutch Australian accent :) ], Dutch, French
proficiency in German

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Oh my God!! Kim movement is AMAZING! I forgot just how good she is and she's no counter puncher! From 4-4 in the 1st set, I enjoyed every minute of the match:D

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
harloo said:
This statement is to broad. Their is no player on the WTA who uses versatility like Roger Federer. I just don't see it in Kim or Justine, and that's not to say they have some variety but for the most part they are power players.;)
Roger doesn't exactly pattycake his groundstrokes in either. His forehand is the biggest in the game, perhaps not by sheer pace, but simply because it is fast and heavy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.