Tennis Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think Serena's knee isn't all that injured...I think she came into Rome thinking she would not put that much stress on it meaning playing 2-3 matches maximum. There's no way she was gonna try to win...that's 6 matches in 7 days. Serena can't do this anymore. Then when she realized how the draw turned out she decided to withdraw after the 2nd round ... to not deny the opportunity for Venus to make extra points and go far. Guaranteed that if Mertens had won...Serena would have gone for REVENGE.

She'll be at Roland Garros mark my words and I wouldn't be surprised if she was in Paris practicing as early as Friday and she might be hitting at the Foro Italico this week.
100% agree

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
Menn those two lost finals in 2018 might turn out to be mega costly. The body can't handle it anymore it seems.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
All I'm going to say is Slams matter and there are 3 left, she started the year beating Halep and should have beaten Pliskova in the QFs. Wimbledon and US Open is where it's at.

·
Registered
161 Posts
quick question: Why do her own fans doubt she was going to play here? How the fuck, by now, do you not get what the gig is with the schedule?

Oh and she looks like she's ready to put hands on these girls. This tour ain't ready for what's coming these next few months.
:sne::sne::sne:

·
Registered
53,510 Posts

·
Registered
53,510 Posts

·
Member of Rena's Army
16,176 Posts
I think Serena's knee isn't all that injured...I think she came into Rome thinking she would not put that much stress on it meaning playing 2-3 matches maximum. There's no way she was gonna try to win...that's 6 matches in 7 days. Serena can't do this anymore. Then when she realized how the draw turned out she decided to withdraw after the 2nd round ... to not deny the opportunity for Venus to make extra points and go far. Guaranteed that if Mertens had won...Serena would have gone for REVENGE.

She'll be at Roland Garros mark my words and I wouldn't be surprised if she was in Paris practicing as early as Friday and she might be hitting at the Foro Italico this week.
My hypothesis is further reinforced by that fact that now they're heading to the PM Tennis Academy where she will get treatment ... but most importantly will get to play tennis as well. It makes more sense to go there for her...because there's no situation she can't reproduce at the academy except for match setting WITH A CROWD. She can play practice sets with players (young upcoming male athletes). They have better facilities in terms of recuperation and treatments and also she'll be away from the public eye. She came into RG last year not having played a single match on clay. She made the 4th round and won 2-3 rounds in doubles. In fact she hasn't lost a match on clay since she came back. Only WD. The only thing that would be a bummer is if she didn't win RG ... then she'd still be title less...but lets be honest WTA tournaments are not for her anymore. At her age playing 6 matches in 7 days is a no go.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Oh wow, that was unexpected :sad: I think it would be best to skip Roland Garros at this point as she obviously won't go very far with 0 preparation and an injured knee and just train for Wimbledon where she is defending so many points :sobbing:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Well damn. Her knee has been an issue for years, but the rest of the year (too soon to say her career?) is going to seem very bleak if it won't allow her to even complete tournaments anymore.

Does she need to take an extended injury break? Is she afraid that doing so would limit the limited time she has remaining?

Get better soon, Serena!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

That makes some sense when you think of Rome (6 matches, 7 days), but what about Miami? There, she had more rest in between matches (about a match every other day), and had a pretty favorable draw:
- Wang Q
- Wang YF
- Halep (9-1 record?)
- Pliskova
- Barty

If her knee really weren't bothering her, wouldn't that be a good chance to make a run? And it's not like there was some other, more important tournament (read: a major) in close proximity.

From what I've seen, the Miami and Rome withdrawals have this in common:
- Issued W/O after just one match
- Decisively closed out the last set in both matches (6-1 in Miami, 6-2 in Rome)
- Didn't seem to be limping, or hobbled in any way (just some sloppy footwork)
- Didn't call the trainer (as she did at the USO vs Venus, when she rolled her ankle)
- Didn't appear to be suffering or in any pain at all
- Wasn't all taped up (as we've seen with Venus' knee tape and elbow sleeve)

So in both of these cases, she moved and played well enough to win decisively, and instead of retiring during the match (as we saw Woz and Ostapenko do in Rome just today), she issued the walkover after a comfortable win. It just leaves me a bit confused.

In any case, I hope it's more precautionary, and that she's able to be in full (enough) health to compete at both RG and Wimbledon. However, I wouldn't be opposed to her skipping RG altogether if it meant she could make another deep SW19 run.

She's clearly putting in the hard work in the gym (and with her diet), so I'm willing to be patient. If she still wants to keep playing, she can compete for slams for quite some time. The body just has to cooperate.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Serena won’t have to suffer with the rain scheduling and the impact of possible two a days.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It would appear everyone traveled to France earlier today, based on Jarmere and Patrick's Instastories (and I guess you could count Qai Qai saying ciao to Rome :lol:). Here's hoping she was being eeeeextra precautious and can recover in time. :sad:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I don't understand how this knee injury could comeback considering she has played only 1 match since March and I still cannot understand how she lost the Wimbledon Final last year very strangeI haven't watched Serena play since then but have kept up on her results I would rather she skip the French Open and if the knee issue is bone on bone then surely cortisone injections would help.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts