R2: (1) Serena def. Anna-Lena Friedsam 6-4 6-3
R3: (1) Serena def. (Q) Christina McHale 7-6(7) 6-1
QF: (1) Serena def. (9) Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-2 6-0
SF: (1) Serena def. Irina-Camelia Begu 6-4 6-1
F: (1) Serena def. Madison Keys 7-6(5) 6-3

·
Registered
698 Posts
Are we sure she is going to play? If so, I have no expectations at all. Just finishing the tournament healthy and injury-free would be a positive and successful outcome at this point :shrug:

Also, can you believe that Rome 2016 was the last time she reached the QF of a non-Slam event? :sobbing:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
4x Rome Champion

R1: (1) Serena def. Bye
R2: (1) Serena def. Laura Robson 6-2 6-2
R3: (1) Serena def. (14) Dominika Cibulkova 6-0 6-1
QF: (1) Serena def. Carla Suarez Navarro 6-2 6-0
SF: (1) Serena def. (Q) Simona Halep 6-3 6-0
F: (1) Serena def. (3) Victoria Azarenka 6-1 6-3
Thanks for the new thread.

2013, the look, the play, all kinds of nice.

·
Member of Rena's Army
16,176 Posts
At this point I just hope she shows up at a freaking non Grand Slam tournament :lol: ! I think she's a bit delusional to think that she can go into a grand slam having barely played in 4 months. Sue me for saying this but that's just my opinion :lol:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
At this point I just hope she shows up at a freaking non Grand Slam tournament :lol: ! I think she's a bit delusional to think that she can go into a grand slam having barely played in 4 months. Sue me for saying this but that's just my opinion :lol:
I agree too. I love Serena. But I'd be foolish in thinking she can just coast into a slam w/o any match play and expect to win, at this late in her career. Had it been earlier in her career, then of course I'm not questioning that possibility. I think I mentioned before, that if she wants that record, she needs to put in the extra work to get there. She will need the match play, no ifs ands or buts about it. Plus, it doesn't help that she's not nearly as feared as she once was. Players seem to have a higher belief going up against her now.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
She stay dragging people in ROme though. Look at those scorelines from the years she won. What only 2 matches that went 3 sets and like 15 sets that are bagels or breadsticks.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
^ yes I still remember the way she dragged Sveta after losing to her in Miami.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
IDK, I feel like Serena is in a bit of a funk, tennis-wise. I think she feels deflated from the disappointments of last year. I'm not sure how motivated or focused she is right now. Reminds me a bit of the first half of 2016.

·
Member of Rena's Army
16,176 Posts
I havent heard of her rushing to Rome after the MET Gala at all...

And I remember Patrick talking about Serena "coming down" to prep at his Academy before going to Rome. That never happened. :lol:

I have serious doubts she'll show up in Rome. I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
32,934 Posts
I agree too. I love Serena. But I'd be foolish in thinking she can just coast into a slam w/o any match play and expect to win, at this late in her career. Had it been earlier in her career, then of course I'm not questioning that possibility. I think I mentioned before, that if she wants that record, she needs to put in the extra work to get there. She will need the match play, no ifs ands or buts about it. Plus, it doesn't help that she's not nearly as feared as she once was. Players seem to have a higher belief going up against her now.
What else would you like her to do, play injured?

·
Registered
84,954 Posts
1 - 20 of 96 Posts