Tennis Forum banner

601 - 620 of 636 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
After staying up late all week to watch Maria play I fully expected to wake up to a similar scoreline to that of the Bejing match last year. So I was pleasantly suprised that it was so close and really view it has a big positive for Maria this week. Had she even got by Halep I think she would have been exhausted when facing Svitolina in the final.

So many postives to take from this week which have been mentioned already. Maria now has the match play and confidence to go far at RG, so it will be interesting how the draw pans out. I really hope that she doesn't get Serena or Vika in the first round. I hope that in the early rounds she plays girls who she doesn't have any history or drama with.

I think that after everything that happened last year she will feel she has something to prove against the organisers of the French Open. So I expect her to be ready and motivated.

·
Registered
25,060 Posts
Finally we have reason to be excited and hopeful, I regret if I ever said anything negative about Thomas Hogstedt. Maria came alive again under him :sobbing:

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I just hope that everyone keeps their expectations in check.
These few weeks have been great, but I wouldn't say 'she's back !!1!' until she's brought this level of play at the upcoming Slams.

If she can add a consistent serve to her groundstrokes, footwork and intensity, I'm very positive that will happen though.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Finally we have reason to be excited and hopeful, I regret if I ever said anything negative about Thomas Hogstedt. Maria came alive again under him :sobbing:
it is just one event. it is not like Maria is going to be in AO2008 form all of a sudden again no matter who is coaching her.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Also, I have no idea what to think about Maria's demeanor yesterday :lol: I haven't seen her like this for a very long time, or maybe even never. She was like fighting, not caring, not giving a shit, going all or nothing at the same time. :lol:

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
it is just one event. it is not like Maria is going to be in AO2008 form all of a sudden again no matter who is coaching her.
Its not one event

You could see her game was improving significantly already in Germany...she just had a rough draw. She had a great week last week also.

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
She played great against Garcia even though she lost. She then won three matches in straights in Madrid before losing to Bertens in three. It's not just one event. She's displayed quite the progression ever since going back with Thomas.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Dead that Halep thinks that was Maria's best tennis :spit: Then again, she called yesterday's performance her best match of the season, so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised :lol:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
by the way i have to say something, her serve was pretty shit the whole week. Those sweet serve at 175-180 km/h we saw in Madrid Have totally disappeared in Rome and it's not a case she was broken for fun in every match.

ROS ✔
Groundstrokes ✔
Stamina ✔
Fighting ✔
Serve need to be fixed

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
by the way i have to say something, her serve was pretty shit the whole week. Those sweet serve at 175-180 km/h we saw in Madrid Have totally disappeared in Rome and it's not a case she was broken for fun in every match.

ROS ✔
Groundstrokes ✔
Stamina ✔
Fighting ✔
Serve need to be fixed
Her first match in Rome was atrocious in every way. In Stuttgart she played under the roof (aces galore ) , in Madrid in a semi closed environment and in Rome prey in the full open prey to every weather conditions. Her serve went to shit by then. So I think think the balltoss is a big part of the problem.

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Halep got bagelled today :drool:.

Looking forward to the French Open. I secretly want her to draw Serena early on, it won't matter if she loses but there's a 20% chance that she ends up winning and if she were to win all hell would break loose so I'll take those odds any day :eek:h:. Wouldn't mind having her draw Halep/Svitolina early on either.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Halep got bagelled today :drool:.

Looking forward to the French Open. I secretly want her to draw Serena early on, it won't matter if she loses but there's a 20% chance that she ends up winning and if she were to win all hell would break loose so I'll take those odds any day :eek:h:. Wouldn't mind having her draw Halep/Svitolina early on either.
If Bouchard and Cibulkova can drag some of their best form out of nowhere to face Maria, then you can sure as hell bet Serena can too. Maria drawing Serena early on would be terrible. Whether or not she can win in Paris aside, she needs points to get herself back to the point where she isn't exhausted from playing extra matches, and tough opponents early on by the time she reaches the latter rounds of a tournament like what happened here.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Haley explains why she was trounced by Svitolina in Rome final:

The top-ranked Romanian called a trainer onto the court for an apparent back problem while trailing 2-3 in the second set then exited the court for treatment under a medical timeout.

"I was a little bit too stiff with my body and I couldn't stay in the rallies," Halep said. "The muscles were stiff. I couldn't run."

Halep said her physical problems were the result of a long three-set win over Maria Sharapova in the semifinals a day earlier

"Every time I play against Sharapova the ball is coming very flat and I bend down a lot," Halep said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/svitolina-defends-italian-open-title-halep-injured-again-123739674--spt.html

601 - 620 of 636 Posts