Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That's an interesting site. I think I only saw Claudia play in singles and doubles maybe 10 times through the years. I wish I could have seen her 85 Canadian Open win over Martina. My guess is that was her greatest match ever.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That was the best period in her career, sommer/autumn 1985. She beat Navratilova, Mandlikova, Sukova, Shriver, well, anyone except for Evert, to who she lost in the quarters at the US Open. At this US Open she won the doubles with Sukova. Claudia was the no. 4 in singles in late 85 and early 86 and is one of those players who could have made more in her career, she lacked of confidence.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Robert1 said:
That was the best period in her career, sommer/autumn 1985. She beat Navratilova, Mandlikova, Sukova, Shriver, well, anyone except for Evert, to who she lost in the quarters at the US Open. At this US Open she won the doubles with Sukova. Claudia was the no. 4 in singles in late 85 and early 86 and is one of those players who could have made more in her career, she lacked of confidence.
I think that's true based on what I've seen from her. The excpetion for me is when she and Steffi played Pam/Chris in the 87 Fed Cup doubles that decided the tie. Claudia was very assertive in that match. I think she and Steffi made a good doubles team.

The times I saw her play with Sukova, she seemed to defer to Helena on a lot of overheads and volleys down the middle. In singles, she seemed a bit Maleeva-esque. But she did have a big forehand.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Maybe Kohde-Kilsch and Steffi had played more often if their fathers had not been so childish. :eek:
I don't think they ever had a problem with each other personally!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
irma said:
Maybe Kohde-Kilsch and Steffi had played more often if their fathers had not been so childish. :eek:
I don't think they ever had a problem with each other personally!
I've wondered about that Irma. I've heard of a rivalry between the two players. But from what I've seen they seem pretty friendly towards each other. Of course, that doubles match may have had something to do with that.

I wouldn't be surprised at all about anomosity between the two fathers. Mr. Kilsch didn't seem very friendly and made life more difficult sometimes with his comments and antics.

I always felt that Steffi and Gaby made a pretty good team considering they had virtually no communication. But had Steffi played regularly with someone she was friendly with personally, she may have won a few more doubles titles.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
HanaFanGA said:
I've wondered about that Irma. I've heard of a rivalry between the two players. But from what I've seen they seem pretty friendly towards each other. Of course, that doubles match may have had something to do with that.

I wouldn't be surprised at all about anomosity between the two fathers. Mr. Kilsch didn't seem very friendly and made life more difficult sometimes with his comments and antics.

I always felt that Steffi and Gaby made a pretty good team considering they had virtually no communication. But had Steffi played regularly with someone she was friendly with personally, she may have won a few more doubles titles.
I guess it was a bit like the Becker-Stich story in the nineties. A lot was played out over the media. The German boulevard press loves such things and if they have no controversity then they will make it;)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The Graf family was trying to tear the doubles team Kohde/Sukova apart, Graf wanted to play with Sukova. As for the doubles everything was fine when they won in 87 but when they lost to the Czech Republik in 1989, S.Graf ran off the court, leaving Claudia sitting on the bench after the doubles match.

Mr. Kilsch wasn't too good for Claudia, I agree I think he put her under too much pressure. In mid 86 after early losses at the French and in Wimbledon she looked horrible, pale, and head down, I felt pity watching her play at the Federation Cup in 1986 which was not even a year after she had such a great period in 85.
She did better again in 87 though, very consistent.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Robert1 said:
The Graf family was trying to tear the doubles team Kohde/Sukova apart, Graf wanted to play with Sukova. As for the doubles everything was fine when they won in 87 but when they lost to the Czech Republik in 1989, S.Graf ran off the court, leaving Claudia sitting on the bench after the doubles match.

Mr. Kilsch wasn't too good for Claudia, I agree I think he put her under too much pressure. In mid 86 after early losses at the French and in Wimbledon she looked horrible, pale, and head down, I felt pity watching her play at the Federation Cup in 1986 which was not even a year after she had such a great period in 85.
She did better again in 87 though, very consistent.
Wow, I never knew that. Graf/Sukova would have complimented each other rather well. Graf - speed and return of serve; Sukova - volleys and overheads; and they both had great serves.

I always found it interesting that Claudia rarely had success against other serve and volleys with the exception of Hana, whom she beat 4 or 5 times. But her record against Pam and Helena wasn't very good.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hanafan I think Sukova and Shriver were simply the better matchplayers over the years. Mandlikova was of course, too but somehow Claudia seemed to like Hana's game. The doubles team Kohde/Sukova was alson nicknamed "The twintowers". Graf/Sukova tried a few times but failed. BTW Claudia's biggest chance of reaching a Grand Slam final was probably the Australian Open 87 when she lost to Mandlikova in 3 sets, I think there was a rain delay after Claudia won the second set.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
2 titles and 1 final is failing? :lol:

Didn't Sukova dump Kohde-Kilsch for Novotna in 88? I read something about that they didn't separate in peace (but then Sukova didn't separate with Novotna and Martina the second in peace either)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Robert1 said:
Hanafan I think Sukova and Shriver were simply the better matchplayers over the years. Mandlikova was of course, too but somehow Claudia seemed to like Hana's game. The doubles team Kohde/Sukova was alson nicknamed "The twintowers". Graf/Sukova tried a few times but failed. BTW Claudia's biggest chance of reaching a Grand Slam final was probably the Australian Open 87 when she lost to Mandlikova in 3 sets, I think there was a rain delay after Claudia won the second set.
Yeah that 87 semi (and the 85 US Open final vs. Martina) was like a microcosm of Hana's career all in one match. When she was good, Claudia had no chance. Just when it looked like Hana would win in a rout, she loses a 6-0 set. Weird match but Hana, thankfully, prevailed.

I thought I had remembered Graf/Sukova winning a regular tour event together. I just didn't realize what was going on in the background.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
irma said:
2 titles and 1 final is failing? :lol:

Didn't Sukova dump Kohde-Kilsch for Novotna in 88? I read something about that they didn't separate in peace (but then Sukova didn't separate with Novotna and Martina the second in peace either)
Is there anything nastier in sports than a womens doubles team breakup? :lol: BJK/Martina, Claudia/Helena, Martina/Pam, Helena/Jana, Jana/Gigi, Natasha/Larissa, Helena/Martina2, Jana/Aranxta........that list goes on and on. Good stuff!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
HanaFanGA said:
Is there anything nastier in sports than a womens doubles team breakup? :lol: BJK/Martina, Claudia/Helena, Martina/Pam, Helena/Jana, Jana/Gigi, Natasha/Larissa, Helena/Martina2, Jana/Aranxta........that list goes on and on. Good stuff!!
One of the saddest ends to a doubles team I ever saw was Gigi and Natasha. They were playing in the end of the year championship and poor Gigi started to tear up while trying to serve. It was like it just hit her that she and Natasha weren't going to be playing together anymore. When it was over Gigi just sat down and cried. :sad:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
RoanHJ said:
One of the saddest ends to a doubles team I ever saw was Gigi and Natasha. They were playing in the end of the year championship and poor Gigi started to tear up while trying to serve. It was like it just hit her that she and Natasha weren't going to be playing together anymore. When it was over Gigi just sat down and cried. :sad:
That was a great doubles team. Both could be so much fun to watch. Gigi often had problems with her temper; but she really seemed to keep that in check when playing with Natasha. I'm not sure how anyone could not have fun playing with Natasha though.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Speaking of doubles, I wish I could have the seen the epic match in 85 at the Virginia Slims Championships between Claudia/Helena and Pam/Martina.
Perhaps Pammy could provide us with insight on that match.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I think Claudia brought the worst out of Hana. Hana's legendary hissy fit at the 86 or 87?? US Open was against Claudia.

CKK clearly had a lack of assertiveness. She never really had too many early losses but just couldn't raise a level against the best. Not sure whether her game had enough variety to rise to these heights anyway.

Yes, one of the best exponents of one of the most difficult shots in the book, the high backhand smash.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Claudia beat Hana at the US Open 87, 4th round, I was really happy when that happened cause I wanted Claudia to beat a top player which she hadn't done for a while. Claudia had an excellen technique, she could play almost any shot, her movement was rather weak though. And of course she wasn't mentally tough enough to be Grand Slam tournaments winner.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Robert1 said:
Claudia beat Hana at the US Open 87, 4th round, I was really happy when that happened cause I wanted Claudia to beat a top player which she hadn't done for a while. Claudia had an excellen technique, she could play almost any shot, her movement was rather weak though. And of course she wasn't mentally tough enough to be Grand Slam tournaments winner.
Aaaaaaaaarrggghhh! :bounce: When Hana broke the scoreboard with her racket, I was looking for something to break around the house as well! :lol: If Hana wins that match, she's probably into the semis considering her record against Sukova. A good showing at the 87 US Open may have kept Hana on track for 1988. But that's all in the past now.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts