Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Civ is a cruddy game, especially V.

It's great if you plan to waste your life away hoping for some excitement to happen (which never does).

Speed bump AI. Cheesy "barbarian" speed bumps. Snore-inducing exploration. One-unit-per-tile is just as bad as stacks of doom. Endless amounts of time wasted on boring stuff like making a warrior or a fishing boat. Suspension of disbelief thrown out the window in so many ridiculous ways.

IV was moderately playable but the most fun aspect (converting cities via pressure) was barely a thing.

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Of course, the person with no imagination hates one of the most popular games of all time... NID :lol:

I guess someone never realized that you can change most of those things in the settings (making things faster is an easy one) or you can get FREE Mods that make it work pretty much any way you want.

meh

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Of course, the person with no imagination hates one of the most popular games of all time... NID :lol:

I guess someone never realized that you can change most of those things in the settings (making things faster is an easy one) or you can get FREE Mods that make it work pretty much any way you want.

meh
When in doubt go to the ad hominem grab bag.

Ironically, it's my ability to imagine fun games that keeps me from gushing over mediocre ones.

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When in doubt go to the ad hominem grab bag.

Ironically, it's my ability to imagine fun games that keeps me from gushing over mediocre ones.
Ummm, ad hominem is your bag baby...

yes, mediocre, one of the highest rated PC games ever... yup, very mediocre

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Ummm, ad hominem is your bag baby...
Parrying with another ad hom. Yawn.
yes, mediocre, one of the highest rated PC games ever... yup, very mediocre
Now it's the argumentum ad populum fallacy. :yawn:

Quarter to Three's Gods & Kings review said:
This isn’t really the place to revisit my unhappiness with Civilization V, but I’m sorry to discover the game hasn’t gotten better a year and a half after I reviewed it. Instead of addressing the problems with the game’s AI, interface, and design, Firaxis has been nickel and diming you with DLC maps and civilizations. Now that they’re selling a full add-on, what better time to give it the overhaul it needs?

But no such thing happens in Gods & Kings. This is the same disappointing strategy game it was a year and a half ago, except that it now has two finicky and mostly unimpressive systems shoehorned in.

Religion is almost exactly like culture, which was almost exactly like technology. Basically, these are just more tech trees, where you save up points, get a reward, repeat. You’ve done that with technology all along. In Civilization V, you did that with culture. And now, in Gods & Kings, you do that with faith. Civilization V keeps adding buckets to fill up and then empty out, picking rewards from a list. It’s the worst kind of feature creep because it’s just repeating features it’s already got. It’s like improved shaving technology that just keeps adding blades.

It’s a simple enough DIY bonus system, but from here it falls apart. It fumbles the viral element of religion so well expressed in Civilization IV and Paradox’s game. Sure, religions can spread — and here is one of the many examples of Firaxis’ inability to do a good interface — but who cares? If it has any effect on diplomacy, you’d never know, thanks to the game’s wretched diplomacy, which remains as inscrutably bipolar as ever. Some religions benefit from spreading, but for the most part it doesn’t matter.

Furthermore, religion matters even less as a game goes on. It's a gross mischaracterization of the rest of the world to present religion as something that you can pretty much forget about once the Enlightenment has run its course. More importantly, it’s a lousy gameplay mechanic to basically let something just cease to matter after a while.

Espionage is basically an alternative to spending gold on the city-states, which were previously just a money sink. Why do I care about peeking into cities? In Civilization IV, peeking into cities was important because of how armies were hidden. In Civilization V, armies are always visible and there’s not much point looking at a city’s buildings. Sometimes I wonder if Firaxis is playing their own game.

The interfaces to manage religion and espionage are both awful, relying on long unmanageable lists that relate poorly to the rest of the game. I’d expect this from a mod. But from the guys who made the game? This is the best they could come up with for their new systems? Long unwieldy lists?

Some new units make an appearance, and most notably the naval balance has been reworked. It’s hard for me to care about this when the computer is still incapable of playing the game as designed. Mongolia throws unit after unit into my defenses, so I couldn’t care less what the units are. France parks armies underneath ranged fire and waits for them to die, so what does it matter if I kill them with a new tank or a biplane bomber? Siam marches its generals up to my front lines. Carthage declares war on me and never sends a single unit against me. If you want to play a game about civilizations shuffling their armies around ineffectually, Civilization V remains the game for you, and now it has new units to shuffle around ineffectually.

The bottom line is that Civilization V remains a disappointing mess, all the more disappointing that its getting new stuff added instead of being fixed.
Quarter to Three's Brave New World review said:
Civilization V is a ramshackle collection of astonishingly dumb tactical AI, half-baked diplomacy, a godawful mess of social policies, an even more godawful mess of religion, a precarious interface, and a Keystone Kops routine of armies, navies, workers, generals, and now artists stumbling over each other one hex at a time. The difficult part about having a strong military isn’t the upkeep. It’s figuring out where to put everyone. Add to all this some crass DLC and it’s enough to send you screaming back to Civilization IV.

Until a new expansion comes along.

Now more than ever, Civilization V is a Frankenstein monster of clumsily stitched together gameplay under a thick layer of pancake make-up production values widely mistaken for game design. If you care enough about strategy games to peer closely, you’ll see an absolute abomination. Better not to peer closely. Instead, click, pick, and next turn your way through what passes these days for “interesting decisions”.

Brave New World crams more of these decisions into the game, mostly at the mid- and end-game, when the pacing has stalled. The idea seems to be that Civilization V needs more clicking and picking when you’re not fighting a war, which the AI is incompetent at doing, so you probably shouldn’t be fighting wars. Do this other stuff instead. Move artwork and artifacts around among the slots on your civilization’s tourism paper doll, which is a bit like equipping pauldrons, earrings, and off-hand weapons in an RPG. Yep, it’s called tourism.

Ideology is a skill tree inside a skill tree, which is something I’ve never seen before. As if the social policy tree and the long religion lists weren’t a bad enough idea, now there’s a DIY tree in the Industrial Era, tucked into a corner of the social policy tree. You choose an ideology and then arrange tiers of skills by unlocking slots and…oh, whatever. Leave it to Firaxis to think it’s a good idea to stick more lists of random improvements under forced theming. Just as religion was like another social policy tree, now ideology is like another religion system. Stuff, stuff, and more stuff. Cram it in wherever it fits and if you can’t find any such place, cram it in anyway.

Unlike Gods & Kings, which made things worse, Brave New World addresses some of Civilization V’s considerable shortcomings. It peppers the game with busywork where you’d normally be hitting “next turn” over and over, waiting to administer a beating to the game’s brain dead military. Now you’re playing on turf where the AI is stronger, managing the strategy level of the game, finessing the economy, wrangling trade routes, expanding out into the map. It helps the pacing in a not very good game where pacing was one of the significant problems.

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Parrying with another ad hom. Yawn.

Now it's the argumentum ad populum fallacy. :yawn:
You can't even get your latin right. Ad populum would be if I said it was the best selling game but I didn't there.

Oh, and nice cherry-picking of reviews... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, the game just went live in the South Korean market. Within minutes there were 18,000+ people "In Game"...

:eek:

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
PC Gamer has already given it a 93%... that's pretty damn high coming from them

sweeeeeeet

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
hmmmm

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just got my tracking number from Amazon Canada for delivery tomorrow...

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Just got my tracking number from Amazon Canada for delivery tomorrow...

Did you get a boxed copy? I just go through Steam now. I got Civ IV in a Collectors Box copy. I never played Civ V and now I'm back to 'one more turn'. Just played an hour as France. I think I'm hooked. It's way more complicated than previous versions and the world is beautiful. I just had they had more leaders and civilizations. Hopefully they will add more soon.

Are you up for online challenge? :p

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Did you get a boxed copy? I just go through Steam now. I got Civ IV in a Collectors Box copy. I never played Civ V and now I'm back to 'one more turn'. Just played an hour as France. I think I'm hooked. It's way more complicated than previous versions and the world is beautiful. I just had they had more leaders and civilizations. Hopefully they will add more soon.

Are you up for online challenge? :p
Yeah, normally I just go via Steam but I couldn't resist the 25th Anniversary Edition box since I've actually been playing it for that long :sobbing:

This version actually has more Civs at launch than previous versions but of course they will be adding many more, as usual.

When the Americas went online at midnight last night there were ~100,000 people In Game, which I think double the record amount for Civ :eek: ... and they are expecting more today!

Go Civ!

Once I get my shipment and I've had a little chance to learn the basics, then sure I'm up for a game!

:yeah:

Reactions: Sam L

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Yeah, normally I just go via Steam but I couldn't resist the 25th Anniversary Edition box since I've actually been playing it for that long :sobbing:

This version actually has more Civs at launch than previous versions but of course they will be adding many more, as usual.

When the Americas went online at midnight last night there were ~100,000 people In Game, which I think double the record amount for Civ :eek: ... and they are expecting more today!

Go Civ!

Once I get my shipment and I've had a little chance to learn the basics, then sure I'm up for a game!

:yeah:
3 hours down! I'm so addicted. :lol: I picked it up easily even though I gave V a miss. I'm not doing well but I'm not lost. It's all coming back to me lol. But I have played I through to IV and I'm so glad they've kept a lot of basics. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the civics which is a V thing. The governments are way more complicated now and more realistic. I love what they've done with unstacking of tiles, builders, unit upgrades and wonders! I heard that V had no wonder movies. That's a no-no for me. I feel quite restricted in what I can do but it actually makes really interesting challenges. I settled a city mostly surrounded by mountains and turned it into a religious city - see what happens. The barbarians are a nuisance and far more challenging - I got a backstabbing war from Victoria who was friendly with me - would never have happened in IV. The agendas are very interesting. The AI is much more engaging also. This is probably the best AI out of all the versions. I feels like there are less leaders and civs but they have gone to a lot of trouble in the detail of these leaders. They look damn good and are really expressive. I love what they've done with the Pantheon of Gods.

Congrats for getting the Anniversary edition. Hope you enjoy. I'm a little jealous I didn't get it but it was sold out really quickly right?

When am I going to find the time to play this... I can imagine many sleepless nights ahead. lol

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
3 hours down! I'm so addicted. :lol: I picked it up easily even though I gave V a miss. I'm not doing well but I'm not lost. It's all coming back to me lol. But I have played I through to IV and I'm so glad they've kept a lot of basics. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the civics which is a V thing. The governments are way more complicated now and more realistic. I love what they've done with unstacking of tiles, builders, unit upgrades and wonders! I heard that V had no wonder movies. That's a no-no for me. I feel quite restricted in what I can do but it actually makes really interesting challenges. I settled a city mostly surrounded by mountains and turned it into a religious city - see what happens. The barbarians are a nuisance and far more challenging - I got a backstabbing war from Victoria who was friendly with me - would never have happened in IV. The agendas are very interesting. The AI is much more engaging also. This is probably the best AI out of all the versions. I feels like there are less leaders and civs but they have gone to a lot of trouble in the detail of these leaders. They look damn good and are really expressive. I love what they've done with the Pantheon of Gods.

Congrats for getting the Anniversary edition. Hope you enjoy. I'm a little jealous I didn't get it but it was sold out really quickly right?

When am I going to find the time to play this... I can imagine many sleepless nights ahead. lol
Yeah, the 25th Edition was sold out pretty much instantly in the U.S. and U.K.... luckily, they had some left here in Canada when I placed my order. There were only 20,000 issued and apparently they aren't going to be shipping anymore, which surprised me.

The only niggly problems I've seen so far with the game are that you can't rename cities (although the Firaxis Dev has committed to fixing that) and the scrolling apparently doesn't work as well as in Civ 5.

BTW, if you want to stop the Auto Unit Cycling, I have a fix for that below...

Go to [drive+user]\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI

The file you need to edit is called UserOptions.txt

The line you are looking for is this one:

;Does the selection auto cycle to the next available unit? (0 = no, 1 = yes)
AutoUnitCycle 1

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Mess. Only @superstition can turn a video game thread on TF into an argument. :tears:

Anyway I wasn't going to get this but I'm getting caught up in the hype and I'm feeling nostalgic so I may just get it over the weekend.
I missed this post. Yeah superstition and pov could turn an orgasm into some sort of neo-fascist plot...

:lol:

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Yeah, the 25th Edition was sold out pretty much instantly in the U.S. and U.K.... luckily, they had some left here in Canada when I placed my order. There were only 20,000 issued and apparently they aren't going to be shipping anymore, which surprised me.

The only niggly problems I've seen so far with the game are that you can't rename cities (although the Firaxis Dev has committed to fixing that) and the scrolling apparently doesn't work as well as in Civ 5.

BTW, if you want to stop the Auto Unit Cycling, I have a fix for that below...

Go to [drive+user]\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI

The file you need to edit is called UserOptions.txt

The line you are looking for is this one:

;Does the selection auto cycle to the next available unit? (0 = no, 1 = yes)
AutoUnitCycle 1
Thanks. It will come in useful in late game. :lol: I like everything except that auto cycling and how you can't scroll on the map. What were they thinking? But the gameplay is fantastic.

Who are you going to play first as?

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks. It will come in useful in late game. :lol: I like everything except that auto cycling and how you can't scroll on the map. What were they thinking? But the gameplay is fantastic.

Who are you going to play first as?
I was going to play as Scythia first but then when I started reading about Gandhi's powerful Religious attributes, I decided to try that first. Already built Petra and the Hanging Gardens in Delhi so it's going well....

just one more turn

21 - 40 of 61 Posts