Tennis Forum banner
1841 - 1860 of 1988 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
^ I didn’t stay up either so only read what others have said. But agree with these comments. This week has been a good warm up with three singles and a doubles. From what I’ve read, the first set was another good workout against a different kind of opponent. I’m not surprised that Emma lacked the energy in the second set. I doubt that the prospect of a third set with Toronto next week and blisters to heal would be very motivating when you were already exhausted.

Also, she’s not had much match play since the clay swing so still getting up to speed.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Yes, I think we shouldn’t give Emma a hard time about this loss. Sad about the 4 SPs, but it wouldn’t have been worth it to batter her body after losing the first set, to (MAYBE) win in three in a silly 250 and be too exhausted in Toronto. It was after a 3h battle in 36 degrees celsius, and very late, way past Emma’s bedtime, after a long wait. Honestly it wasn’t worth it to exhaust herself for this and not be up for the task in Toronto. Sure, if Emma has taken those SPs, she could have won the next set (still not 100% convinced, she could have also lost in 3) but I’m not sure if playing a SF (and possibly a F) in DC would have really helped her for Toronto. Imho it wouldn’t, it would have just tired her out in a 250. You don’t want to peak in a 250, you want to peak in the big tournaments.
This time last year, she lost in R1 in San Jose. This year she won 2 matches and played 3. This was just a warmup tournament (with shitty weather and scheduling) and served its purpose of getting Emma a few matches. She will take plenty of lessons from this match for the Giorgi match (similar playing style)
She can’t win all the tiebreaks she plays. She still won 2 tiebreaks out of 3 this tournament. And when she lost the tiebreak in RG R1, she DID fight back to win in three sets. But was it worth it this time? In the late night in a shitty 250 with two 1000s and a Slam defence coming up? Probably not.
I’m not that bothered by this loss tbh. I would be much angrier if she won but picked up an injury.
She’s still building her stamina and that is a process that takes time. Still, plenty of positives on that department as she didn’t have MTOs and seemed fine physically (the blisters are not at all related to conditioning)
I agree Johnny. I’m sure Emma will feel a bit tired and downhearted when she wakes up later today - as probably every player does after a loss. But then I think her and her team will reflect that that she has a pretty good week and they will travel up to Toronto later today or tomorrow for a few light practice sessions prior to her first match on Monday or Tuesday. 🙂

The next 2-3 days also gives us a few days to recharge our batteries also - watching Emma can be stressful at times. 😂

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree Johnny. I’m sure Emma will feel a bit tired and downhearted when she wakes up later today - as probably every player does after a loss. But then I think her and her team will reflect that that she has a pretty good week and they will travel up to Toronto later today or tomorrow for a few light practice sessions prior to her first match on Monday or Tuesday. 🙂

The next 2-3 days also gives us a few days to recharge our batteries also - watching Emma can be stressful at times. 😂
I must admit I do enjoy the break :rolls:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
^ I didn’t stay up either so only read what others have said. But agree with these comments. This week has been a good warm up with three singles and a doubles. From what I’ve read, the first set was another good workout against a different kind of opponent. I’m not surprised that Emma lacked the energy in the second set. I doubt that the prospect of a third set with Toronto next week and blisters to heal would be very motivating when you were already exhausted.

Also, she’s not had much match play since the clay swing so still getting up to speed.
Yeah, the real shame are just those SPs. But you can’t always win all the tiebreaks. She won 2 out of 3 this tournament though. After losing the first set, probably it wasn’t a terrible idea to check out a bit (still had a decent fight to avoid the bagel though) with Toronto coming up, and blisters to heal. When she lost the first set tiebreak in RG R1, she showed plenty of fight to come back and win in three, but imho wasn’t really worth it this time with Toronto coming up and given the weather, scheduling, and blisters circumstances. Let’s face it, when you have two 1000s and a Slam coming up, a 250 is just a warmup. She still had back to back wins and a decent practice for the Giorgi match (Camila has a similar play style)
I’m glad she didn’t retire, but imho this is not a tragedy. Might prove positive if she beats Giorgi, and she has a better chance this way than if she completely exhausted herself to TRY and win this match (still no guarantee of success).

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I have just woken up, not the news I wanted to see. But all in all, still a good week.
I fell asleep as well, was watching evans and I went off.

I hoped ema would be good but whoever won first set makes sense if lost to tank and get off to Toronto.

Dont want to be turning up in Toronto a walking mess. Look at Vika, Halep etc

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I woke up at 5 to use the bathroom and saw she was 5-1 in the second set. Haven't watched the replay yet but read most of the comments. In my view lots of positive take aways and things to improve on. Sounds like she was clearly pooped from starting so late.

1. Closing out matches.
2. More aggressive but that comes with match play and confidence.
3. Shot selection, again match play .

Positives (considerating the years she's been having)
1. She overcame a panic attack.
2. She played 3 hours in the searing heat and looked fine.
3. She did come through tough moments.
4. Apart from blisters, doesn't seem like she has any niggles especially her back.

We of course want Emma to go deep and win everything all the time, which clearly isn't going to happen. Haha.

Only a few days and we get to see Emma play again. Her chances would be better I think that she has extra days rest.

All in all I'm happy with her performance.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Surprised the match went ahead and I've just watched the replay.

While the end result (straight sets win for Samsonova) wasn't a surprise, Emma's performance in that first set was. Really dug deep and took everything Sam gave her throughout to keep the scoreline close. Unfortunately because of that, it just used up whatever energy Emma had left after Thursday's match so that by the second set, she was pretty much running on empty. Personally I don't think it would've mattered if Emma had won that first set or not - she would've still been so knackered after that first set that Samsonova would've destroyed her anyway in the second and third sets (which she actually did in the second set).

Hey ho - she has a few days break to regain and rebuild. Onto Toronto now.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I am just watching replay, first set emma could stand toe to toe with Samsonova, so I am happy.

Emma running out of steam or tanking second, whatever it was, does not matter, its a warm up for the main events, dont kill yourself in the warm up with no rest for Toronto
Yes!
Shame about the wasted SPs, but well, that happens. She still won 2 tiebreaks out of 3 this tournament and has a good tiebreak record overall. But nobody can win ALL tiebreaks. We should remember that in the last match it was Emma the one who saved SPs to eventually win first set. And did the same against Martincova. This time the opposite happened to her. Well, sometimes it happens. It doesn’t mean she’s mentally weak overall. Last match winning two TBs it was huge mentally too. But you can’t be clutch all the time. Of course its disappointing but not the end of the world.

Absolutely agree on bold part. Killing yourself for a warmup tournament when you have two 1000s and a Slam coming up (and you’re seeded in all three) doesn’t make much sense.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
And this time, Emma will be at full strength for that match
Yeah if Emma wins against Giorgi, this loss might have really been a blessing in disguise.
Remember that if she wins the Giorgi match, she will make as many points as she made reaching the QF in DC (60 points).
Two wins in Toronto is 105 points which is more than reaching the SF in DC (100 points).
Not even talking if she gets on a roll and goes deeper. Pegula is the seed in her section but she looked underwhelming and out of form in DC. So if these three matches helped Emma in getting match sharp and a bit of confidence in her own means, to be more aggressive in future matches, she has some decent chances to go deep in Toronto.
But she needs to beat Giorgi first, or it’s over! That match is really important. And I really don’t mind this loss in a 250 if it means that Emma can have a few more days to be 100% up for it in a 1000 (also 3 days are enough to completely heal the blisters, like between BJK and Stuttgart, it was 2-3 days and they were enough).

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
GM being quite kind on Emma or has people be banned or on actual holiday? 😂
Well she made a QF, she didn’t lose in R1, won back to back matches, the second of which was a real battle and she came out on top. So, really, it was a decent showing this week overall. I hope if they’re kind to Emma it’s because they’re recognising this at least. Anyway I’m not reading GM. I just go by what you said on them being “kind” :)

·
Registered
36,877 Posts
GM being quite kind on Emma or has people be banned or on actual holiday? 😂
Timmy hasn’t entered the thread yet to do his usual rancid sh*t stirring.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
By the way, Emma still had two wins back to back and played three matches, so the “warmup” function of this tournament has been fulfilled.
Last year at this time Emma was dominated and pushed back behind the baseline by Zhang in R1 in San Jose and lost convincingly, she was too passive, standing too far back and so on.
One month later it was Emma the one who dominated Zhang in a complete role reversal of their match, and Emma went on to win the USO, playing amazing aggressive tennis, stepping inside the baseline and taking the ball early.

You never know with Emma, she can build form and confidence over multiple tournaments, she’s that type of player as she showed last year. If she stays healthy. I’m happy enough with Emma not battering her body further, for a silly 250 in ridiculous conditions, with two 1000s and a Slam coming up.
I think her A game (aggressive, step into the court, take the ball early) will come back gradually, but clearly needs time.
She showed flashes of aggressive play during these matches, couldn’t do it consistently yet but she did it like half the time against Osorio (and allowed her to come back when she didn’t).
Hopefully next tournament she will do it more. Then even more in Cincinnati and USO.

1841 - 1860 of 1988 Posts