Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Re: Cincy SF 'Real Final?' - Maddy Keys defeated Sofia Kenin 7/5 6/4

A great run here from Madison beating Muguruza, Kasatkina, Halep, Venus, and now Kenin. And it really feels like it's coming out of nowhere. Cincy is just her third QF or later of the year following her title run in Charleston and the QF loss to Barty at the French.
She should like her chances tomorrow!

·
Registered
22,750 Posts

scary stuff, if maddie actually had a decent second serve she'd be unbeatable when playing like that. 41 winners in a two set match...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

Kenin played so well yet lost.. must be disappointing. Still, lots of positives to take from this match.

Wow Maddie, not just power today but some finesse and improved movement as well. Also, her BH impressed me more than her FH today, in that it held quite well under pressure. If she keeps this up she will win!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Keys' peak this year (Charleston and now some matches here in Cincy) is just insane. She had like, 40 winners in two sets? 14 aces? There's no way you can truly hang with that artillery for long if she keeps it up. And then these other shots that she has in her arsenal: the droppers, short slices, squash shots, etc. that weren't there a year or two ago? Truly brutal. She kind of owns Kuznetsova too so I expect her to win the final and take her first Tier I title. Well done!

Amazing two weeks for Kenin, she'll be dangerous at the USO. Onwards and upwards.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Keys' peak this year (Charleston and now some matches here in Cincy) is just insane. She had like, 40 winners in two sets? 14 aces? There's no way you can truly hang with that artillery for long if she keeps it up. And then these other shots that she has in her arsenal: the droppers, short slices, squash shots, etc. that weren't there a year or two ago? Truly brutal. She kind of owns Kuznetsova too so I expect her to win the final and take her first Tier I title. Well done!

Amazing two weeks for Kenin, she'll be dangerous at the USO. Onwards and upwards.
41/21 for Keys, 15/13 for Kenin. Ridiculous from Keys!

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Too much power from Keys!

Great two tournaments for Kenin, but does anyone else think that her father is too intense/harsh when on court with her?

He has vibes of Damir Dokic!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

scary stuff, if maddie actually had a decent second serve she'd be unbeatable when playing like that. 41 winners in a two set match...
The kick on the second serve can be difficult to handle for some.

Kenin has an issue vs power, pattern developing.
How so? The only player she's consistently struggled with this year is Kuzmova. Apart from that, her losses are mostly to the craftier players, and counterpunchers.

This match is also a bad example considering she beat Keys at Rome this year, too.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Madison has played actual Tennis this week not baseball ;)

A bit of a hit and miss performance from Madison though, strong out the blocks then gave up a 5-2 lead in the first.

Sofia is a plucky customer and that proved in both sets, couldn't establish a lead in the second set though and kept getting broken back.

Madison got the job done, when things got close she played the better tennis, a tough match but a deserved win :yeah:

·
Registered
8,037 Posts

For someone supposedly eating big hitters for lunch, Kenin certainly has to review her diet: in her last 3 big tournaments she was blown away by Yastremska, Andreescu and now Keys. And we'll never know how it would've ended yesterday if Osaka hadn't injured herself.

Still a commendable season for her, and I've warmed up a lot to her off court attitude: she seems quite a sweet girl who handled several tricky situations (Canada's public in the match with Bianca, Naomi's injury) really nicely. Not overly fond of her game - she's fairly well rounded but doesn't do anything spectacular -, still her feisty attitude will take her further than several more talented players, so kudos to Sofia for another excellent week.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Oh god. The Hype for such a mediocre baseball player. Even Kenin on a mediocre day can push her 5 & 4, and break her a handful of times, then what kind of peak is that? Utter delusion :spit:

Kenin can struggle against big hitters & whichever idiot in the press conference asked her about her serve, totally screwed her over. Didn’t look confident on it the whole match.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Maddy:laugh2: :drool:

the trophy shall be hers tomorrow:drive:
Oh I don't know Maddie often gives her opponent a chance - that's one of the reasons why she is so popular with the other girls.:eek:h:

But if she plays as controlled as that Sveta will certainly have her hands full so you could be right.That was a very good match. Kenin also was playing really well - may not have Maddie's game but she is a real fighter which puts her ahead of so many of the girls on tour at the minute.:hatoff:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts