Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unprecedented times call for unprecedented measures. The USTA proposes moving the Western & Southern Open to New York to create a player bubble and a summer tennis doubleheader with the US Open. Our exclusive

·
Registered
113,600 Posts
It makes sense! Washington DC, then everyone goes to NYC
it should allow everyone to get there and have their own space and prepare for the US Open with no other travel

Reactions: kpuppy69

·
Banned
335 Posts
Nah, we're done with real virus, fake pandemic. Let's go back to normal and reopen the economy and stop having our lives driven by panic that has a 99% recovery rate.

·
Registered
22,105 Posts
It makes sense! Washington DC, then everyone goes to NYC
it should allow everyone to get there and have their own space and prepare for the US Open with no other travel
Of course it does! Just like the article says "it's far from certain either tournament will be played this year", but no issue, right, pal?

·
Registered
22,105 Posts
The thread title is a bit misleading since it's far from definite this will happen.

·
Registered
31,385 Posts
Would be strange having a tournament at the US Open that isn't the US Open a fortnight before the actual US Open.
Yes, two back-to-back crowdless tournaments in New York but one is a mere P5 and the other one makes you a Slam champion !?! They're trying to find solutions but it's a little bit weird.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
I’m in favour (as long as infection level is under control, travel is accessible for players and social distancing measures can be maintained)

of course it’s weird / strange - they are having to try and wrap the tour around this horrible new normal.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Nah, we're done with real virus, fake pandemic. Let's go back to normal and reopen the economy and stop having our lives driven by panic that has a 99% recovery rate.
Panic may well have a 99% recovery rate but, at the current rate of infection, which shows absolutely NO sign of slowing down (another 22,000 confirmed cases yesterday), the US will pass two million confirmed cases of the coronavirus around this time next week (and that's not taking into account the fact that this number almost certainly woefully under-represents the true number of cases). You would appear to have no problem with another 100,000 deaths on top of those who've already lost their lives.

And that's only assuming that the recovery rate from the virus IS 99%. It's nowhere near that at the moment.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
LOL @ the morons that were saying that there will be no tennis in NYC in August and September. Not only there will be a Slam but also a Masters 1000/Premier 5. Suck it up.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Panic may well have a 99% recovery rate but, at the current rate of infection, which shows absolutely NO sign of slowing down (another 22,000 confirmed cases yesterday), the US will pass two million confirmed cases of the coronavirus around this time next week (and that's not taking into account the fact that this number almost certainly woefully under-represents the true number of cases). You would appear to have no problem with another 100,000 deaths on top of those who've already lost their lives.

And that's only assuming that the recovery rate from the virus IS 99%. It's nowhere near that at the moment.
I follow with attention the evolution of the pandemic, looking in particular to the data shown on the site worldometers

What is puzzling me is the low percentage of recovered people in the USA, even now that the new cases are quickly slowing down, the number of active cases do not decrease, because apparently very few recover.

For example today I see for USA 1,881,482 total cases, of which only 646,260 recovered, that is about 30%.
For comparison in Italy over 233,515 total cases there are 160,092 recovered, 68%, Canada 54%,Brazil and India about 50%, let alone Germany with 167,300 recovered over 184,091 total cases, 90%!

How comes? US citizens do not recover, for some strange reason? Or the recovery are not recorded?

In the state of New York the number of daily new cases has dropped dramatically, from a peak value of more 11,000 in April, 15, to about 1000 yesterday, more than a tenfold decrease, however the number of total cases is still rising, because apparently people do not recover!
There is any explanation, from whom is living on place the experience, for this anomaly?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I follow with attention the evolution of the pandemic, looking in particular to the data shown on the site worldometers

What is puzzling me is the low percentage of recovered people in the USA, even now that the new cases are quickly slowing down, the number of active cases do not decrease, because apparently very few recover.

For example today I see for USA 1,881,482 total cases, of which only 646,260 recovered, that is about 30%.
For comparison in Italy over 233,515 total cases there are 160,092 recovered, 68%, Canada 54%,Brazil and India about 50%, let alone Germany with 167,300 recovered over 184,091 total cases, 90%!

How comes? US citizens do not recover, for some strange reason? Or the recovery are not recorded?
I think it's simply that the peak rate of infection for the USA is several weeks behind that in Europe. Hopefully the recovery rate will increase as that peak passes, but at the moment active cases seem to be staying at roughly the same number because the recoveries each day only equal the number of new cases.

In the state of New York the number of daily new cases has dropped dramatically, from a peak value of more 11,000 in April, 15, to about 1000 yesterday, more than a tenfold decrease, however the number of total cases is still rising, because apparently people do not recover!
There is any explanation, from whom is living on place the experience, for this anomaly?
Maybe one of our New York members can suggest an answer.

·
Registered
31,204 Posts
What exactly does this accomplish except satisfying big sponsors like ESPN ? A fair amount of top players have said they don't think it's fair to restart when everyone is not able to play, and that they don't love the idea of playing in empty stadiums with limited entourages. The ITF type players who need tennis for a living aren't even close to being able to play Cincinnati and the US Open, especially if qualifying gets cancelled like the article says it probably would. I suppose a few on the lower end of the top 100 could benefit from the prize money but besides that this all feels like jumping through hoops for a very questionable potential outcome. And don't even get me started on this horrendous ideas like on-court coaching and microphone on the players.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What exactly does this accomplish except satisfying big sponsors like ESPN ? A fair amount of top players have said they don't think it's fair to restart when everyone is not able to play, and that they don't love the idea of playing in empty stadiums with limited entourages. The ITF type players who need tennis for a living aren't even close to being able to play Cincinnati and the US Open, especially if qualifying gets cancelled like the article says it probably would. I suppose a few on the lower end of the top 100 could benefit from the prize money but besides that this all feels like jumping through hoops for a very questionable potential outcome. And don't even get me started on this horrendous ideas like on-court coaching and microphone on the players.
I'd forgotten about this horror.

·
Registered
113,600 Posts
Here is what it does: It gets the players to NY, they have 2 events
It gives the USTA a prep tournament to see how their protocal is working. To see if players have complaints they can help with before the major
It seems like a good decision. Of course, we still need to see all the exos these next 2 months and then Citi Open in DC. By then the players not in the US should be on their way, if things continue going well

·
Registered
122 Posts
So do we all. But why should tens of thousands more people die just because you're missing your fix of pretty girls with nice legs?
Oh, screw off with this shameful rhetoric already. Tens of thousands of people are going to die because of a couple tennis tournaments, an activity that isn't particularly high in terms of COVID risk in the first instance, being held under the most rigorously safe conditions including them being quarantined from the rest of society and tested regularly? The vast majority of people who will be back to work at the time will be working under far less safe conditions and in jobs that are much more inherently risky than playing tennis.

Not to mention that at this moment there are protests going on with people huddled together in the hundreds shouting their lungs out, the highest risk activity imaginable at the moment, and you're on here worried about a goddamned empty tennis court with 5 people on it who have all been quarantined and tested to oblivion causing 'tens of thousands of deaths'? Again, screw off.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts