Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
More erratic play and forced smiles the first two sets, but I thought she played quite well in the third after her coach had told her off.

Beating Hsieh does indeed look unlikely in this kind of form.

·
Registered
11,933 Posts
What was that? Was she trying to pull a Halep or a Djokovic? She better pull up her socks in the next 2 weeks otherwise R3 will be enough for her.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
somewhat bizarre match, Osaka was beyond flat in that 2nd set, the stadium had no energy as well.
Glad the coach set her right for the 3rd.
*edit - apparently someone in the crowd told her to have fun, so i guess that was a big factor

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Naomi helping to push herself closer to securing No.1 seeding at USO

·
Registered
234 Posts
I thought she played quite well in the third after her coach had told her off.
Actually, she was coached after the first set, which she won. Immediately after the coaching, she lost the second set.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have mixed feelings. There were flashes of brilliance and then there were flashes of silliness/complacency.
I think there's a difference between having fun on court and taking the match seriously.

When I look at her painting a smile on her face between points I just think of the Paramore song Fake Happy.
It's all a show, but I'm not sure who for... probably more for herself? Like, she's trying to convince herself that she's having fun when really she isn't?

I don't know, but your girl has some things to work out over the next few months.
I'm not looking forward to the USO.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Ben Rothenberg thinks the reason Osaka lost the second set is because Jermaine ruined her mood and the issue in Set 2 was the coaching visit.

I think I need to see her play Hsieh to get a better feel for how Naomi is really playing. That match was strange and Naomi seemed out of it. But she won!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
This was super up and down from Naomi but she did red line at times and for a first round match I think that's enough to be encouraged. This is a weird time for her and just having got past the first round will likely settle her a lot. Hsieh is a tough matchup for her at the best of times so she might have a tough go of it next round, but Hsieh's form has been questionable too so I wouldn't give up on her run here just yet. On the other hand, I could be more surprised by an exit as her draw really hasn't been kind.

There's some signs of rounding into form for defending the US Open in my opinion but honestly today she was so weird emotionally. What I found particularly weird was how quickly she went from smiling constantly to being quite depressed after failing to serve out the set. It was such a stark contrast and she'll need to find more balance going forward.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
First set she gave away the leads. She shouldve won it so easily.
Second set terrible and in the end she wasnt even trying. Tanked last few games when she was behind. Just my opinion.
Thrid set only good thing. Serve was great and she was in return game of her opponents.
Not much hope . Hsieh and she played 3 times this year and she knows how to play her but this time i dont have much hopes.
I m just hoping for respectful run at us open..
This coach needs to go.he ruined her game in second set with terrible coaching and advise. Asked her to not to go for big serves. Let naomi play her natural style.

·
Premium Member
Naomi Osaka, Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
4,788 Posts
Ben Rothenberg thinks the reason Osaka lost the second set is because Jermaine ruined her mood and the issue in Set 2 was the coaching visit.

I think I need to see her play Hsieh to get a better feel for how Naomi is really playing. That match was strange and Naomi seemed out of it. But she won!

One thing though I like about Naomi that she has become such a big Fighter. Her 3-Set Record this year is 12-2.

·
Registered
551 Posts

I know it sounds silly but I don't entirely disagree with Ben on that, and Naomi herself seems to agree too. I actually thought it was really curious that in her on court interview she mentioned that having fun on the court was the key to winning today when her coach had spent the entire coaching session chastising her for smiling and laughing, and telling her to get serious. He seemed vehemently against Naomi having fun out there and I was really surprised to see Naomi's interview given that.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
Naomi was pissed at him during on court interview indirectly taking jibes at him lol saying she had fun lollll. His days are numbered and frankly its better that she finds some real coach

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think she might be scared about hurting Jermaine's feelings.
She seems to really like him as a person, but he's not the right guy to guide her into winning a tournament.

Naomi has such an unusual personality that I imagine it's difficult for a coach to find a way to relate with her and get her on board.

I agree that she needs someone else to possibly join her team or replace Jermaine, but I can't think of anyone who would be a right fit for her.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
One thing though I like about Naomi that she has become such a big Fighter. Her 3-Set Record this year is 12-2.
I agree that this is an encouraging sign, though today it was rather the case of gifting a set in a match you should win in straights IMO.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think Naomi should either get another coach(a la Pliskobot w/ Rennae & Conchita) or Get a proven coach, specifically female (Maybe if Graff is interested?). I only see Naomi improving if a former legendary player coaches her as she has said she tends to respect their opinion more. Her time w/JJ will be over soon. If she loses USO in the 1st week (Very likely) then he's gone. Unlesd she repeats her AO feat, USO is definitely not getting defended. Hopefully she can win it but I don't expect it, it'll be surprising if she wins it tbh.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think she might be scared about hurting Jermaine's feelings.
She seems to really like him as a person, but he's not the right guy to guide her into winning a tournament.

Naomi has such an unusual personality that I imagine it's difficult for a coach to find a way to relate with her and get her on board.

I agree that she needs someone else to possibly join her team or replace Jermaine, but I can't think of anyone who would be a right fit for her.
Somehow I'll like Graff or Mauresmo tbh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts