Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So happy with Su Wei’s performance here. Mostly because of all the adjustments she was making throughout while under pressure from Jenny’s big power and bomb serves (10 aces!). :) Working hard to steal that first set.

She figured out what specific movement was her weakness, used her court craft to exploit that, and improved her ROS throughout the match as she got a better read on it. Also for once was playing the big points well!

Nice hug between the two at the end. Next up the winner of Osaka/Sasnovich.
Doubles match in a few hours too against Kontaveit/Sakkari.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
I watched only from midway through the first set TB till 5-3 in the second set. Great stuff from Su Wei. She had Brady on a string.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Su-Wei layed lots of lovely traps with gorgeous Cheese of Europe :drool: Brady, da hungry puddytat, rushed to gobble them up :toothy: From now on she will be trying a dairy free diet on tour. :D

Post match quote from Brady - "I hate those meeces to pieces"
:lol:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,036 Posts
Great match. Extremely high quality. It is actually a shame this match was on an outside court with little attention when far less entertaining matches have been gracing the showcourts.

Have to say Brady is in outstanding form. On this form it is no surprise she almost took out Halep last week and in the last couple of weeks has simply crushed Jabeur, Mladenovic and Puig. She is playing great.

Su-Wei on the other hand prior to this match has really been struggling to find her best tennis during the summer hard court season. Against Wang in the 1st round she was solid but by no means spectacular. There were moments of magic but mostly it was a pretty workmanlike performance.

Considering how well Brady has been playing that kind of workmanlike performance would never be enough for Su Wei to overcome Brady if Brady maintained the form she has been. And as it happened Brady absolutely maintained her high level today. On the form she showed today I would have fancied her chances against numerous seeds. She is serving great, moving well, hitting with both power and variety, she looks like a player ready to make a move up the rankings.

So for Su Wei to win today, she had to be at her magical best. And she was. After several so-so performances over the last few weeks, today Su Wei really showed what she can do. Against a very tough opponent, Su Wei was on fire today and entertained the crowd with all her finesse, disguise, imagination, craftiness and skill. Whereas prior to this match, Su Wei had been showing the occasional special point here and there, today they were all over the place. And she did it while making fewer errors than she has in a while too. Great, great match and an a special performance by Su Wei. And it must be said, unlucky for Jennifer Brady who couldn't have played a lot better, but in the end it didn't matter. When your opponent is producing magic on the court there is no answer.

Obviously this means we will hopefully have that delightful marquee match-up of Osaka vs Hsieh in the next round. They have already played some great matches together this year and this should absolutely be another one providing it does take place. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Great stuff from Hsieh. I love how even on big points she still plays her high-risk game. Not good for the nerves though :lol:
Yeah, I can't think of anyone else who would try a dropshot, lob combo on BP. But she did, and it worked out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Great match. Extremely high quality. It is actually a shame this match was on an outside court with little attention when far less entertaining matches have been gracing the showcourts.

Have to say Brady is in outstanding form. On this form it is no surprise she almost took out Halep last week and in the last couple of weeks has simply crushed Jabeur, Mladenovic and Puig. She is playing great.

Su-Wei on the other hand prior to this match has really been struggling to find her best tennis during the summer hard court season. Against Wang in the 1st round she was solid but by no means spectacular. There were moments of magic but mostly it was a pretty workmanlike performance.

Considering how well Brady has been playing that kind of workmanlike performance would never be enough for Su Wei to overcome Brady if Brady maintained the form she has been. And as it happened Brady absolutely maintained her high level today. On the form she showed today I would have fancied her chances against numerous seeds. She is serving great, moving well, hitting with both power and variety, she looks like a player ready to make a move up the rankings..
You’ve said exactly what I thought before the match.:) I was confident in my assessment that I bet against Hsieh and lost. (my 2nd sports bet in recent years):rolleyes:

So for Su Wei to win today, she had to be at her magical best. And she was. After several so-so performances over the last few weeks, today Su Wei really showed what she can do. Against a very tough opponent, Su Wei was on fire today and entertained the crowd with all her finesse, disguise, imagination, craftiness and skill. Whereas prior to this match, Su Wei had been showing the occasional special point here and there, today they were all over the place. And she did it while making fewer errors than she has in a while too. Great, great match and an a special performance by Su Wei. And it must be said, unlucky for Jennifer Brady who couldn't have played a lot better, but in the end it didn't matter. When your opponent is producing magic on the court there is no answer.

Obviously this means we will hopefully have that delightful marquee match-up of Osaka vs Hsieh in the next round. They have already played some great matches together this year and this should absolutely be another one providing it does take place. Fingers crossed.
Thank you for a great recounting of the match!:worship: It’s a shame I didn’t get to watch it. Actually I am glad that Hsieh’s magic is still somehow alive. Hope she will show me some strokes of genius when facing Osaka or I will be :|

·
Registered
34,198 Posts
Great to see Su-Wei get another win and pick up some form after a disappointing past few tournaments :bigclap:. It would be so lovely to see her beat Osaka again.

What morons are in charge of this tournament's scheduling :spit::help:? Putting possibly the most entertaining player on tour against potentially the biggest future star (and world number one) on Court 10 :weirdo:?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts