·
Registered
29,577 Posts
SAISAI :cheer:

go for the USO SEED :eek:h:

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Stringing together a few decent wins lately and has a real chance of ending the year as the Chinese #1 and potentially the Zhuhai WC if required.

Early Sabalenka rematch next.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
She's turned over a new leaf. Finally, she has legitimately earned a top 40 ranking. I expect her to show renewed confidence. I think she now knows she belongs.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,036 Posts
The strange thing about Saisai Zheng is that her ranking is pretty much the same as it was in the beginning of the year. But whereas last year practically all of the points she earned in the 1st 7 and a half months of 2018 were from Asian ITFs, this year (aside from Anning) Saisai has earned her points playing throughout the main WTA tour.

So although the change in the ranking might not indicate it, if one ignores that and actually looks at the calibre of her actual results and the quality of her game at present, it is pretty clear she is one of the most improved players of 2019. Whereas at the start of the year that she was ranked around the 40 mark seemed quite dubious, that she is now ranked around that mark today seems totally deserved and it would not surprise me to see her rising further up the rankings on present form.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Stringing together a few decent wins lately and has a real chance of ending the year as the Chinese #1 and potentially the Zhuhai WC if required.

Early Sabalenka rematch next.
I doubt Qiang Wang will be able to replicate her amazing Asian swing from last year, so it is quite possible!

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
The strange thing about Saisai Zheng is that her ranking is pretty much the same as it was in the beginning of the year. But whereas last year practically all of the points she earned in the 1st 7 and a half months of 2018 were from Asian ITFs, this year (aside from Anning) Saisai has earned her points playing throughout the main WTA tour.

So although the change in the ranking might not indicate it, if one ignores that and actually looks at the calibre of her actual results and the quality of her game at present, it is pretty clear she is one of the most improved players of 2019. Whereas at the start of the year that she was ranked around the 40 mark seemed quite dubious, that she is now ranked around that mark today seems totally deserved and it would not surprise me to see her rising further up the rankings on present form.
Spot on post. That is why she got so much hate on here - She was badly over ranked but unjustifiably getting massive hype on here by SaisaiGoat.

·
Premium Member
44,153 Posts
I have yet to see her play since her sudden improvement, and wonder in which department she improved. From what I recall of her best days, it must be a physical improvement. What her kind of game required. Like a cross between Errani and Sakkari... ?

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
Spot on post. That is why she got so much hate on here - She was badly over ranked but unjustifiably getting massive hype on here by SaisaiGoat.
in the past she has reached a Premier SF (Stanford), a P5 QF (Doha), beat Kerber Radwanska Konta Svitolina :wavey:

how is it "hype" if I knew she had the potential to be at the level she is now (and even higher), and we were just waiting for the consistent results :scratch:

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
in the past she has reached a Premier SF (Stanford), a P5 QF (Doha), beat Kerber Radwanska Konta Svitolina :wavey:

how is it "hype" if I knew she had the potential to be at the level she is now (and even higher), and we were just waiting for the consistent results :scratch:

She had a few great wins, but over a given calendar year a hugely disproportionate percentage of her ranking were from Asian ITFs and Asian WTA 125s.

But, she has proven herself lately to show she belongs where she is in the rankings.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
I have yet to see her play since her sudden improvement, and wonder in which department she improved. From what I recall of her best days, it must be a physical improvement. What her kind of game required. Like a cross between Errani and Sakkari... ?
From what I saw watching her at San Jose, she was using her variety very effectively for entire matches. In the past, she seemed to be too aggressive or too passive. If she was outplayed or any stretch of a match, she would go into strictly moonball or slice mode, or go for winners too early in points.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,036 Posts

You are right, she has had some good results in the past and she has certainly hinted at the ability she has shown this year. I think your faith in her was justified and that is being confirmed by how she is regularly playing at the moment. But it is also true there is a big difference between her level now as opposed to a couple of years ago. She is a lot more sturdy and consistent and what were peak outlier results a few years ago are now standard level for her this year.

I don't think your support of her Saisai is the primary reason she has sometimes been derided by posters in this forum. I think it is more to do with her previous tendency to focus a lot on Chinese ITFs for her ranking points and also the fact that she doesn't possess great power which of course, very regrettably, leads a lot of posters on this forum to label her a "pusher", a term I personally have never embraced and never will.

I do think the fact that she is now producing quality results regularly against good WTA level players and the fact that her finesse game continues to develop making her game increasingly more attractive means in the future she is bound to gain more respect in the forum particularly from TF fans who tend to gravitate towards more finesse based players. The thing about players whose games are based on more subtle skills like off pace hitting, drop shots, slices etc, is that these kinds of players do tend to develop slower and that seems to be the case with Saisai.

·
Premium Member
44,153 Posts
I doubt Qiang Wang will be able to replicate her amazing Asian swing from last year
The only difference with last year at this stage is that she had won Nanchang (5 wins in a row) which was played in July but was moved to September this year. Otherwise she had won 19 matches last year before the USO (including Nanchang), to 17 this year at the same stage. With a best of 3 wins in a row here and there. So I see no reason for her to not replicate this kind of run.

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
The only difference with last year at this stage is that she had won Nanchang (5 wins in a row) which was played in July but was moved to September this year. Otherwise she had won 19 matches last year before the USO (including Nanchang), to 17 this year at the same stage. With a best of 3 wins in a row here and there. So I see no reason for her to not replicate this kind of run.
last year she was still with Peter McNamara RIP :crying:

Qiang is not known to be mentally stable, I don't have any expectation for her for the remainder of the year

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
SAISAI-GOAT's Sai-Sai promotion is a lesson in how marketing and advertising works to establish a brand and create associations.
Whenever I see the name Sai-Sai Zheng now, my brain automatically fills in "rising star" because I've seen to two together so much on here. :lol:

Anyway, she's produced a few good results results now so congrats to her.
She has a tricky game and there's a number of players that she can probably confound if she keeps up a high level of play.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
I like Qiang, so I hope she does do well, but I just don't have much faith in her :SNE:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts