Tennis Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
I thought Laura too, initially, but she was in Barcelona only 24hrs ago, and this lady sounded slightly different, sense of humour slightly different too. You know for sure it was Laura? She did a good job, whoever it was.
Kinda shocked you didn't notice it was Laura

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My take on it is that Konta can't handle the pressure and stay focused in pressure moments, and instead looks for excuses to release that stress and tension somewhere. This has happened far too often with her lately. She will be perfectly aware that Peterson did nothing wrong there.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Anyway good result. This is 2017 all over again for Konta. Does it mean Sloane is going to turn around her fortune?

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Rebecca wins 3 back-to-back matches in a WTA event for the first time this year :p

After the match, what was Konta saying about the umpire's wife?
I want the details.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Jo tells the umpire she had trouble with his wife at Nottingham(2018). Probably the umpire's wife feels the same about Jo. I'm sure she was wondering where Jo has disappeared to when she should have been at the presentation ceremony as runner up with the winner Ashleigh Barty. I think Jo needs some calming influence off court when you add what happened at the press conferences at Wimbledon 2019 and also Roland Garros 2018. She just sounds arrogant in the latest spat.

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
I'm a Jo fan but she was wrong here. Peterson didn't stop playing, she just hesitated for a moment. There was no call so she should have continued playing - no ifs, no buts. As for bringing the umpire's wife into it (and she was wrong in that 2018 incident too), that is totally out of order. How would she feel if people started bringing her family into her performance? well I can tell you, she would not stand for it. As she walked off, the announcer said 'Let's hear it for Johanna Konta' and the crowd clapped and cheered but she just ignored it. Not classy.

The bottom line is that she has the ability to beat Peterson easily but she was the worst of the two on the day and Peterson won on merit.

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
Jo made a rookie error. The point is in play until a call or challenge is made. Peterson did not challenge. She merely hesitated but continued to play. Jo however stopped.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm a Jo fan but she was wrong here. Peterson didn't stop playing, she just hesitated for a moment. There was no call so she should have continued playing - no ifs, no buts. As for bringing the umpire's wife into it (and she was wrong in that 2018 incident too), that is totally out of order. How would she feel if people started bringing her family into her performance? well I can tell you, she would not stand for it. As she walked off, the announcer said 'Let's hear it for Johanna Konta' and the crowd clapped and cheered but she just ignored it. Not classy.

The bottom line is that she has the ability to beat Peterson easily but she was the worst of the two on the day and Peterson won on merit.
The umpire should have switched his microphone off before that comment was heard about his wife. Jo may have been out of order here but at the time I know Annabel Croft telling the world on BBC how much Jo had won in prize money at Wimbledon was equally out of order. Sue Barker on BBC also made unfair comments about Jo. Two wrongs don't make a right but when it comes down to I'm sure Jo was upset in losing a tennis match and the heat of the moment etc.

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
The umpire should have switched his microphone off before that comment was heard about his wife. Jo may have been out of order here but at the time I know Annabel Croft telling the world on BBC how much Jo had won in prize money at Wimbledon was equally out of order. Sue Barker on BBC also made unfair comments about Jo. Two wrongs don't make a right but when it comes down to I'm sure Jo was upset in losing a tennis match and the heat of the moment etc.
I don't understand. A player's prize money is in the public domain anyway.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was watching the match live but switched off just after the match ended and missed Konta's whinge at the umpire. At the time I thought the incident in question was inconsequential and her reaction excessive.
Konta comes across to me as someone looking for somebody else to blame when things go wrong.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

How do you think the Konta family feel if they read some of the comments about their daughter in our newspapers? I read the Daily Mail and some of the comments made on occasion I would not like to read if I was a member of the Konta family. There was also a piece in the Daily Telegraph which was similar.They were worse than Jo's comments about the umpire's wife. As far as Annabel Croft was concerned she sounded like the more prize money you earned the more you owe the media. We're not tennis players and we don't know how we would react when we lose.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Umpires Fabio Souza and Paula Vieira Souza now on Konta's black list :armed:

Umpire did nothing wrong.. looks like Jo just wanted to complain

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
How do you think the Konta family feel if they read some of the comments about their daughter in our newspapers? I read the Daily Mail and some of the comments made on occasion I would not like to read if I was a member of the Konta family. There was also a piece in the Daily Telegraph which was similar.They were worse than Jo's comments about the umpire's wife. As far as Annabel Croft was concerned she sounded like the more prize money you earned the more you owe the media. We're not tennis players and we don't know how we would react when we lose.
I agree, but my point is she shouldn't have said what she did - and I stick by that. The fact that other people also say/write things that they shouldn't is irrelevant. As you said yourself, two wrongs don't make a right. As for not knowing how we would react, the fact is that she is a professional (as she has pointed out to journalists when she doesn't like what they ask) and what she did was not very professional. Harranging an umpire, who can't really answer back, when in fact she was the one who had got it wrong deserves to be called out. Sorry if you diagree.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts

This right here is why I have never warmed upto her. She harbours way too many false sense of entitlements and acts like a forever victim. You are busting your chops because it is a competition and you are also getting suitably rewarded for it. It is not like you are putting your life on the line simply to maintain a roof over your head.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts