Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice win for Peterson, who had multiple BPs to go up 5-1 in the 3rd, but didn't. Konta clawed herself back, but in the end unravelled in dramatic fashion over a line call to surrender the match. Match time 2:36.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Hasn't won a match since Wimbledon, and she could be closing in on the top 10 if she had. Losing to Peterson of all people too, I have to laugh

·
Registered
158 Posts
Too bad for Konta, it genuinely feels like when she gets on a good run and the media pick up on her coverage she starts to struggle again. She’s a perfect case for how tennis is all in the head.

Even last year, which was awful for her as a whole she had a fairly good stretch in San Jose/Montreal. But still hasn’t won on the hard courts...

·
Registered
26,908 Posts
Rebecca wins 3 back-to-back matches in a WTA event for the first time this year :p

After the match, what was Konta saying about the umpire's wife?

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Jo arguing with the ump after the match finished. Saying something about his wife, who presumably is also an ump, and a situation in Nottingham, and 'unprofessional' comes up in the argument and Jo reminds him he's mic'd up. Not sure what that was all about, but it was based on Peterson stopping play on one point in that last game, but you should keep playing Jo, regardless.

Anyways, who was the lady BT Sport commentator?

·
Registered
26,908 Posts
Jo arguing with the ump after the match finished. Saying something about his wife, who presumably is also an ump, and a situation in Nottingham, and 'unprofessional' comes up in the argument and Jo reminds him he's mic'd up. Not sure what that was all about, but it was based on Peterson stopping play on one point in that last game, but you should keep playing Jo, regardless.

That was Laura Robson; I thought she gave some interesting insight into the tour

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
That was Laura Robson; I thought she gave some interesting insight into the tour
I thought Laura too, initially, but she was in Barcelona only 24hrs ago, and this lady sounded slightly different, sense of humour slightly different too. You know for sure it was Laura? She did a good job, whoever it was.

·
Banned
23,797 Posts

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
26,908 Posts
I thought Laura too, initially, but she was in Barcelona only 24hrs ago, and this lady sounded slightly different, sense of humour slightly different too. You know for sure it was Laura? She did a good job, whoever it was.
Yep, definitely her. She'll be back tomorrow with Annabel Croft on BT for Kiki vs. Venus & Bencic vs. Azarenka I believe

Reactions: Mike_T

·
Registered
36,786 Posts
Yep, definitely her. She'll be back tomorrow with Annabel Croft on BT for Kiki vs. Venus & Bencic vs. Azarenka I believe
Has Laurel retired then?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Always a good day when Konta goes out

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Well fought out win for Peterson.
She could have ended it sooner but became tentative and Konta came back.

That complaining of Konta at the end was ridiculous.
In the middle of a rally Peterson hit one ball almost long and stops moving thinking it is out but it hit the line.
There was no call and Konta returns it back and decides to stop the play and challenge it.
Challenge showed the ball was good and then she starts complaining how Peterson stopped and confused her. :spit: :facepalm:

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I haven't watch much of Peterson, funny enough 2 out of 3 times I've watched her was here in Cincinnati where she seems to perform well - last year lost to Mertens in R2 in a very tight encounter, so rankings points defended.

I don't understand why Peterson hasn't had better results in MM tournaments, I don' recall her seeing in a F or even SF. She seems to have a good serve, reliable BH to keep her in the rally, often loopy with top spin, and can be agressive with her FH, mainly her inside in FH. When she was on a roll to 4-1 up in the 3rd she was swinging more freely and hitting some nice winners with it, then when things got tight, she resorted to just rallying and try to force some errors from Konta with deep shots. Also her 1st serve seemed to desert her later in the match, but somehow she got the win, gifted by Konta's errors.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts

She is disgusting if she brought umpire’s wife into the complain. Classless
I don’t care if she is umpire as well and had some problem with her in the past.
I used to like her but she is becoming more and more unlikable with the constant complaining a la Wozniacki.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm a Jo fan. But that point in the last game when Peterson "stopped" was something that I've seen countless times in matches. Player makes a hail Mary shot and stands still on the baseline waiting to see what's next. Or player makes a shot, stops and glances fast at the mark because it was very close and then realizes it was in and prepares for what comes next. If these bother Jo, she's really frail.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts