Tennis Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Wait, did they switch Roland Garros to a non-clay surface? Pushber is hopeless on clay outside Stuttgart indoors.
So we thought about many players until they made some adjustments to their game. If Sharapova can win it multiple times, and Konta/Pliskova can come close to winning Rome and Paris, then Kerber can also make the necessary adjustments if she's up for the challenge

·
Registered
38,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Re: Cincinnati R1: Kontaveit def. (13) Kerber 7-6(7) 6-1

it's a premier only, so why would she care anyway. :shrug:
Ask every other multiple GS champion.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Resting her body for the CGS.

·
Registered
715 Posts
So we thought about many players until they made some adjustments to their game. If Sharapova can win it multiple times, and Konta/Pliskova can come close to winning Rome and Paris, then Kerber can also make the necessary adjustments if she's up for the challenge
Kerber will be 32 during next RG and her pusher body is already worn out. Only adjustments she will be able to make is holiday destinations. Nobody at that age will start playing well on a surface they have never been good on.

·
Registered
36,786 Posts
Kontaveit doesn't suck at least, but Angie sure does these days :tape:.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Kerber will be 32 during next RG and her pusher body is already worn out. Only adjustments she will be able to make is holiday destinations. Nobody at that age will start playing well on a surface they have never been good on.
Fast-twitch muscles are the 1st muscles a person loses, and tha starts at age 25.
By the time a player is 30 y/o, they are a 1/2 step slow and lose points they would have won at 25.
WTA defenders rely on their quickness and speed of foot, but when the fast-twitch muscles die, they start losing matches.
Very few defenders over 30 y/o are ever ranked in the top 20, only one now(Kerber).
-
Rank----Age----Name
4--------27.8---Halep-- 2 more years
10------29.3---Sevastova-- appears to be slowing down
13------31.5---Kerber-- not looking good after being beaten by Davis in Wimb
18------29-----Woz-- probably finished
-
Power players can still be effective in their 30s. Due to the power of their shots, thet get fluff balls back and don't require the foot speed.

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
Unkerb your enthusiasm :eek:

Kontaveit having a decent American swing here but same old from Kerber

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Re: Cincinnati R1: Kontaveit def. (13) Kerber 7-6(7) 6-1

Angie's game has completely collapsed since Eastbourne, where she played probably her best tennis this year. Incredible. She didn't even try in the second set,
I noticed this, as well. Started looking a bit disinterested and missed shots she normally would not have. But as we know, she can raise her levels at the Slams and come out on top. I honestly wouldn't count her out as a potential USO champ.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Mess. She clearly doesn't care anymore

·
Milk and honey
4,290 Posts
I said after her loss in Doha to Mertens that there had been a lot of discouraging signs from her since winning Wimbledon last year effort level wise, and that I felt she wouldn’t finish this year in the top ten and could potentially fall off a lot, and it seems to have happened. :erm:

The few times she has been motivated this year she’s just not played very well or has been outplayed, her stamina seems to be waning, especially in third sets, and when she isn’t caring she’s a walking bye at the moment. Not sure she can turn this around like she did last year, and as @chingching said, I’m shocked that she’s repeating 2017 all over again pretty much after all the lessons she learned and the changes she implimented in 2018.

Reactions: crescentmoon

·
Registered
38,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Re: Cincinnati R2: Kontaveit def. (13) Kerber 7-6 6-1

There are nine PM/P5 a year. She must have entered and lost in a lot of them. :spit:
She is 0/82.

Reactions: Djo-Coeur

·
CGS
7,697 Posts
Re: Cincinnati R2: Kontaveit def. (13) Kerber 7-6 6-1

She is 0/82.
With that horrendous record, she is so fortunate to have 3 slams. 3 different slams just make it even much more fortunate. She just peaked at the right events. Lord helps us if she somehow manages to win RG and still has zero P5/PM.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
We're missing the ubiquitous "I am happy" postings which graces a lot of Anett Kontaveit's winning results threads. So I'll say it: I am happy.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts