Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here we go. :unsure:

Time for PV to summon all positive energy, vibes, chakras, voodoo, black magic........ whatever we need to snap this tragic losing streak, get her Olympics qualification bid under way, win title #50, and find some damn form at the Western and Southern Open.

We will be accepting all major credit cards and unforced errors, OCC sessions and withdrawals from opponents. Time to resurrect Venus' 2019 season from the ashes.

Vee's best ever run at this tournament is a SF in 2012 as a WC. This week Venus WAS originally a WC... a good omen? :) Draw below:

Ashleigh Barty (1) vs Bye
M*r** Sh*r*p*v* (wc) vs Alison Riske (wc)
Caroline Garcia vs Iga Swiatek (Q)
Anett Kontaveit vs Angelique Kerber (13)

Aryna Sabalenka (9) vs Petra Martic
Viktoria Kuzmova vs Saisai Zheng
Maria Sakkari vs Camila Giorgi
Petra Kvitova (6) vs Bye

Karolina Pliskova (3) vs Bye
Lesia Tsurenko vs Monica Puig (LL)
Bernarda Pera (wc) vs Veronika Kudermetova (Q)
Rebecca Peterson (Q) vs Johanna Konta (14)

Anastasija Sevastova (11) vs Svetlana Kuznetsova (wc)
Dayana Yastremska vs Caroline Wozniacki
Jelena Ostapenko vs Yulia Putintseva
Sloane Stephens (8) vs Bye

Kiki Bertens (5) vs Bye
Venus Williams vs Lauren Davis (Q)
Katerina Siniakova vs Donna Vekic
Victoria Azarenka vs Belinda Bencic (12)

Madison Keys (16) vs Garbine Muguruza
Amanda Anisimova vs Daria Kasatkina
Ekaterina Alexandrova vs Carla Suarez Navarro
Simona Halep (4) vs Bye

Elina Svitolina (7) vs Bye
Elise Mertens vs Catherine McNally (wc)
Sofia Kenin vs Julia Goerges
Zarina Diyas (Q) vs Serena Williams (10)

Qiang Wang (15) vs Su-Wei Hsieh
Ons Jabeur (Q) vs Jennifer Brady (Q)
Aliaksandra Sasnovich vs Astra Sharma (Q)
Naomi Osaka (2) vs Bye

This thread is kindly sponsored by Jamba Juice.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Venus will open her campaign on Centre Court against Lauren Davis. She is 2nd on the day session.

Let's do this. :armed:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a very bad feeling about this, Lauren Davis has been on the up lately, like really up, like the most up she's been in years.

Venus' big chance here is to get the ball fast, hit hard and accurate and maybe she'll be able to hit through Davis long enough to win this match. But know that Lauren Davis can be a very pesky opponent, one with an uncanny ability to stick to her opposition, to stay in the match and turn it around at a moment's notice (the second you drop your level she is there). And did I mention she is blazing fast and can hit from any angle on the run? Also hits the ball much harder than her height would suggest. Yeah, like I said, I have a bad feeling about this match.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Her ahh need to get a win here.I am going to the Open and I need her to have some confidence so she can win when I watch.

Luckily I got tickets for the first 2 days. (Hoping Serena draw Sharadopa first round)

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a very bad feeling about this, Lauren Davis has been on the up lately, like really up, like the most up she's been in years.

Venus' big chance here is to get the ball fast, hit hard and accurate and maybe she'll be able to hit through Davis long enough to win this match. But know that Lauren Davis can be a very pesky opponent, one with an uncanny ability to stick to her opposition, to stay in the match and turn it around at a moment's notice (the second you drop your level she is there). And did I mention she is blazing fast and can hit from any angle on the run? Also hits the ball much harder than her height would suggest. Yeah, like I said, I have a bad feeling about this match.
Yes when i'm rooting for Lauren I love how well she can hit on the run and turn defence into attack. Today though I hate it. :lol: I'd honestly prefer a pusher.

Venus did beat her in Auckland this year though which will give her confidence. Vee has also beaten (kiiind of) similar players like Q Wang and Mertens.

Basically she will have to come out prepared, ready to hit a lot of balls, and stay in charge of rallies / keep her behind the baseline.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sleeve and knee tape have both made an appearance. And both look a bit more heavily padded than usual.

Feels like forever since she's done a t-shirt and skirt combo! :)

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This court looks slow and sludgy as fuck btw. Not just in the early stages of this match but I watched the Mertens match too. :(

Anyway... Venus holds to start! Lovely volley redirection winner to close out the game. :worship:

1 - 20 of 610 Posts