·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Getting bageled by Petkovic these days.... :facepalm:

Oh well, at least she won.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
She just fought through a valiant challenge from British wildcard Katie Boulter in the first round of Wimbledon.

Christina won 3-6 7-5 6-3 (she was down a break in the third, but played well at the key moments and served excellently to finish the match.)

I think that was a show of quite decent mental strength, which doesn't always apply to her.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Dammit.

Was a set up and had several matchpoints against Aga in the second set tiebreak (she was also 52 up in the tiebreak after two perfect first serves, out wide on the ad side and up the T on the deuce side), but couldn't take them.

Lost 63 in the third.

This is becoming too much of a habit for Christina, losing matches after having matchpoints and leads.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Christina beat Nicole Gibbs in the first round of Beijing in 3 sets 64 36 64, then took out a lethargic and barely trying USO champ Sloane 3 and 0.
Slight correction, but she beat Gibbs in final round of qualies, then beat Sloane in the 1st round.

Good for Xtina, she needs to keep moving up, she is ranked way too low!

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Ah yes, actually she beat the very hard hitting Aryna Sabalenka in three sets in qualies, then Nicole Gibbs in three sets, before taking out a disinterested Sloane easily.

In the second round Christina unfortunately went down, she was up 4-1 (double break) in the first set, but then lost 67 06 against Sorana. Sorana does have big weapons so she was always going to be dangerous.

I'm not really sure why Christina tends to struggle to hold onto leads and close sets. She definitely never stops trying but I think maybe things start to snowball for her when they are going badly. Still, I actually really like her attitude on court, she's a fighter, she's just not clutch, since they are two different things.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Today Christina was up 61 30 40-15 (had 4 breakpoints for 4-0) against Taylor Townsend in my hometown of Auckland, New Zealand. She ended up losing 64 in the third. An unfortunately common pattern for her. I really like Christina and want her to succeed but she seems to struggle to finish matches off, matches that she is totally capable of winning. Oh well, just the beginning of the year. Let's hope the rest of the NZ/Aus season goes better for her.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Did she pick up an injury? She retired today at a set a piece against Katerina Bondarenko in Sydney qualies. Christina won the first set 76. Very closely fought second set, she had two match points at 64 in the tie break but lost the last four points. I hope she's able to recover for the Australian open.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Lost to Begu in Acapulco. Started well, 4-0 up in the first, won the first set, then lost in 3. She was defending semifinal points, so will take another hit- projected to drop to 89 or so.

Really needs to start winning more often in the next three months or so.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Finally having a slightly better week.

In the third round of Miami she plays Muguruza, after going through Strycova the round before and Kanepi in the first round (Kanepi had to retire).

These are Christina' first main draw wins since a quarterfinal in October in Tianjin.

Muguruza is naturally the favourite but Christina has an ok 1-2 record against her, that one win coming a couple years ago in Indian Wells, and that was Christina's most recent top 5 win.

Last time they played was in Miami exactly a year ago, Christina was up 6-0 4-2 and had match points, before losing.

Edit: Unfortunately this time Christina lost easily, 2&1. But this was still a better week for her.

Having watched some of the clips on youtube, I feel like at the moment she needs to try to drive through the forehand a bit more. She does it sometimes but not often enough. It's her weapon and she needs it to work better. It's fine to hit it with spin, but she needs to contact a bit earlier so she can really finish the swing. I feel like at the moment she is too often contacting a little late which then causes her to pull up or across the ball too early, preventing her from fully extending forwards. Since she is contacting further back, if she didn't purposely pull upwards or across as she makes contact, the shot would naturally be too flat and would fly on her, because that later part of the swing naturally "wants" to go straight forwards.

Contacting a little further forwards would allow her to drive the ball with increased pace and the right amount of topspin would just come naturally. She wouldn't need to pull her arm upwards and across on purpose, it would just happen naturally in that part of the swing. Her best forehands are like this anyway.

It would obviously also be great if she could hit her other shots better too, but I think the easiest change for her would definitely be swinging with more confidence on the forehand and just driving it. That's because her forehand is already so close to being an excellent shot. The backhand by comparison is technically quite flawed, she hits it very flat, the racquet is almost turning "upwards" in the followthrough, and it often goes into the centre of the court. The backhand would require a much bigger change than the forehand to make it better.

3941 - 3960 of 3984 Posts