Tennis Forum banner
2901 - 2920 of 2924 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was really bummed that Evonne and Steffi were not included.
Well I am sure Steffi would have been asked. She is a bit on the reclusive side or she may have been occupied, so this may not have been something she was going to make time for in 2020. But for some reason Evert just stopped. We would have to ask her why.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
It's very likely Chris asked and Steffi said no. Except for appearances requested by sponsors (e.g. Steffi showing up to present the trophies at Roland Garros one year as part of her duties as a Longines ambassador) she has made very few tennis-related appearances since retiring. She does usually seem to show up if the All England Club invites her to a do, though. She obviously has a special place for Wimbledon in her heart. (And maybe not so much for the WTA and her former rivals, although she and Chris have seemed quite cordial with each other in the past two decades. :LOL: )

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's very likely Chris asked and Steffi said no. Except for appearances requested by sponsors (e.g. Steffi showing up to present the trophies at Roland Garros one year as part of her duties as a Longines ambassador) she has made very few tennis-related appearances since retiring. She does usually seem to show up if the All England Club invites her to a do, though. She obviously has a special place for Wimbledon in her heart. (And maybe not so much for the WTA and her former rivals, although she and Chris have seemed quite cordial with each other in the past two decades. :LOL: )
There is another missed interview. Austin has no one on one video either.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I think Austin wasn't included because Evert chose to interview only the players who were year-end number ones. Austin didn't end the 1980 season as the number one, thanks to Evert herself, so Little Miss Awesome wouldn't have qualified. Similarly Goolagong Cawley wouldn't have qualified either even if she'd consented to being interviewed.

I know I'd much rather listen to a Goolagong Cawley or even an Austin interview than, say, one with a joke number one like Caroline Wozniacki.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
As many of the commenters in the YT thread point out, #10 (from the 1981 semi-final against Martina) is probably the most thrilling, most memorable US Open point Chrissie played and should have been ranked #1 instead. It frequently shows up in US Open highlights and clips on the Chrissie vs Martina rivalry.

Reactions: Mark43

·
Registered
63 Posts
As many of the commenters in the YT thread point out, #10 (from the 1981 semi-final against Martina) is probably the most thrilling, most memorable US Open point Chrissie played and should have been ranked #1 instead. It frequently shows up in US Open highlights and clips on the Chrissie vs Martina rivalry.

The point from the 1981 match was the best of the top ten - not sure why it was number 10!! - it had everything

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
My all time favorite Chris Martina match ever!
I also like their very close 1981 Australian Open final: the last match they played against each other with both of them using wood racquets.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Most of us have probably watched this already: the 1973 French final - Court beats Evert.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
A clip of Chrissie at Wimbledon 1972, making the "bold" predicition that Billie Jean would reach the final from the bottom half.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Chris, interviewed by Howard Cosell after losing to BJK in the semis of the 1971 US Open.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Yeah, I was struck by how much younger Chris sounded at 16 than, say, some of the 16-year-olds I see these days. Of course it was a different time (half a century ago!) back then and Chris was a sheltered middle class girl from Fort Lauderdale. I still can't get over how poised and calm she was even at that age, though. I made the same observation after I posted the clip about her Lesley Turner match at the 1971 Open, but I still find it remarkable how emotionally mature and well-adjusted she seemed already, at least when talking about her tennis.

Colette and Jimmy Evert were clearly excellent parents and did a great job raising their children.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Reading an article about Miloslav Mecir being the last man to play a Grand Slam final with a wood racquet (US Open 1986 vs Lendl) made me wonder about the women. I assume Chris at the 1983 US Open would have been the last woman to play a Slam final with a wood racquet. There weren't any others after that, were there?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I had no idea the last wood final was 1986. I would have guessed 1983 as well. That’s a surprising stat.
I find it amazing that Mecir was talented enough that he managed to beat Wilander, Nystrom, and (reigning Wimbledon champ) Becker at that US Open even though he was still playing with his wood racquet while his opponents were all playing with graphite composites. The Big Cat was truly one of the most gifted players!

2901 - 2920 of 2924 Posts