Tennis Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2747 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I was under the impression that Chris really enjoyed herself that summer since she was hanging out with her boyfriend Jiminy Connors and his pals, trying to ditch Momma Collete and Little Gloria?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was under the impression that Chris really enjoyed herself that summer since she was hanging out with her boyfriend Jiminy Connors and his pals, trying to ditch Momma Collete and Little Gloria?
I was under the impression it was the opposite. In her first biography, I believe she writes that she was constantly bickering with her mum (probably because she wanted to "meet men" and Collette would not let her) and so she threw her French and Wimbledon matches against Madge and BJK that summer in a strop.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was under the impression it was the opposite. In her first biography, I believe she writes that she was constantly bickering with her mum (probably because she wanted to "meet men" and Collette would not let her) and so she threw her French and Wimbledon matches against Madge and BJK that summer in a strop.
That does not sound right to me. It does not make sense. I don't think she would throw them, and I sure don't think she would publicly say so in a bio years later. You got a link or a quote?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
That does not sound right to me. It does not make sense. I don't think she would throw them, and I sure don't think she would publicly say so in a bio years later. You got a link or a quote?
Yeah, I read her first autobio several times and IIRC she said she was definitely distracted and irritable with her mother during that European trip of 1973 and that it affected her play, but she definitely did not say that she threw either of those matches. I'm pretty sure that it was after that trip that her mother stopped travelling with her fulltime (though, it seems that Colette was ALWAYS present at all the Grand Slams throughout her entire career, and many players spoke of how she would always put a candy bar in Chrissie's bag before her matches at the Grand Slams. While everyone on the tour did not love Chrissie, everyone loved her mom.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, I read her first autobio several times and IIRC she said she was definitely distracted and irritable with her mother during that European trip of 1973 and that it affected her play, but she definitely did not say that she threw either of those matches. I'm pretty sure that it was after that trip that her mother stopped travelling with her fulltime (though, it seems that Colette was ALWAYS present at all the Grand Slams throughout her entire career, and many players spoke of how she would always put a candy bar in Chrissie's bag before her matches at the Grand Slams. While everyone on the tour did not love Chrissie, everyone loved her mom.)
Irritability etc I can see, but Evert 'throwing' her first two major finals and then telling the world that she had, nope. Who spends two hours fighting the number 1 in the world through a tough three setter at RG, only to gift away the title in the last two games to tick off Mom? Definitely not Chris Evert!

Everyone I knew thought my Dad was a wonderful cross between St Thomas Aquinas and Atticus Finch, but they did not live with him every day of their lives into their early twenties! I could not pack fast enough back then!
(Now, I would cut off both my arms to sit and hear him drone on some bizarre moment in Roman History, listen to him read some Shakespeare for an hour. Sigh)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Yeah I cannot imagine Chris ever throwing a match or losing because of being upset with her parents. She claims she lost the 1975 W semi to BJK for a very good reason (Jiminy unexpectedly showing up in her box with Susan George). That made sense.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah I cannot imagine Chris ever throwing a match or losing because of being upset with her parents. She claims she lost the 1975 W semi to BJK for a very good reason (Jiminy unexpectedly showing up in her box with Susan George). That made sense.
And then of course, there's my favorite Chrissie excuse: that she was out all night doing Buddha only knows what with John Lloyd the night before the 1978 Wimbledon final.

·
Registered
195 Posts
About her grass record: This you already know but still you should read it to retain the full affect. In 4 US Opens she entered on grass, 5 Australian Opens she entered on grass, and 18 Wimbledons she entered on grass, Evert reached the semifinals of all but one ( That is 27 of of 28 majors over the course of 19 years) She reached the QF's in all but one and won every single QF in her career on the surface . She reached the final 48% of the time she entered a grass court slam.

This you may not know. Here is the complete list of players who beat her in a grass slam. Look at the caliber of opponent it took to pull Evert down. Every single one of these players had either already won a major or been a finalist in a grass court major before or within 6 months of taking down Chris Evert in their meeting. Martina x 9 (finalist in 1975 Aussie, won '78 title), Evonne x 4, Margaret x 1, Billie Jean x 3, Virginia x1( 2 time winner of a prior major and # 4 seed), Steffi x1 RU '87, won 88 Wimbledon, Hana x1 ( already won the Aussie, RU at Wimbledon), Kerry Melville Reid x1 (then # 9 seed was already a two time singles slam finalist prior to beating Chris in 1972 Open . Kathy Jordan x1 ( finalist in the 1983 losing to Martina in December of the year she beat Chris in July). This is basically a veritable 'who's who' in anyone's Grass court Hall of Fame with only Jordan #15 seed to be viewed as a serious upset.

By some criteria, this record is more consistently strong than the ladies above who won a lot more grass slams .

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Yeah Chris’s grass court record was AMAZING. Of course her entire record was amazing, but considering this was her so-called ‘worst surface’, it’s incredible. It’s stats like these that keep her firmly in the GOAT discussion.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its interesting that her 'best' and 'worst' surface seemed to change as time went on. Obviously that har -tru American clay her best in her pre prime and prime years, with red clay a close second and carpet was the surface that made her consistency stats close to mortal. If you look carefully, you will discover once every couple of years a bizarre early round loss in some indoor carpet event even in the mid seventies and early 80's and more semifinal losses.

She began to lose that aura of invincibility on red clay first, then green clay as the depth on clay grew deeper.
( she was still winning green clay titles through 1988, against top opponents though) her grass game kept getting better and better as soon as she fully adjusted to that graphite. Her volleys got better, her serve improved, and her forehand became more of a weapon all the way through the late 80's and she got a lot faster and stronger. I believe it with every fiber of my being. My problem is that I can't prove it with actual results because Martina kept getting better and better too and that was who kept stopping her year after year. I don't have a list of all these grass tournaments she won from 1985-1988, because grass seasons became shorter and shorter as everything got paved, to the point when Evert would only play two a year.

The brutal fact is late career results declined most at the US Open. Her last final at the Open was in 1984, she would end up with two Aussie finals, one Wimbledon and two French Open wins after she stopped reaching the Open final. Couple that with the fact that she failed to reach her customary semifinal in both 1987 (McNeil), and 1989 ( Garrison), and frankly that 1986 semifinal was just not pretty at all ( Except to Sukova relatives) Except for the odd brilliant match, Chris always seemed vulnerable at the Open and she wasn't winning the Lipton in Miami, or Toronto either. It was on hard courts that Sabatini and Sukova started to beat her and Graf was dominating her. I just don't know why.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Its interesting that her 'best' and 'worst' surface seemed to change as time went on. Obviously that har -tru American clay her best in her pre prime and prime years, with red clay a close second and carpet was the surface that made her consistency stats close to mortal. If you look carefully, you will discover once every couple of years a bizarre early round loss in some indoor carpet event even in the mid seventies and early 80's and more semifinal losses.

She began to lose that aura of invincibility on red clay first, then green clay as the depth on clay grew deeper.
( she was still winning green clay titles through 1988, against top opponents though) her grass game kept getting better and better as soon as she fully adjusted to that graphite. Her volleys got better, her serve improved, and her forehand became more of a weapon all the way through the late 80's and she got a lot faster and stronger. I believe it with every fiber of my being. My problem is that I can't prove it with actual results because Martina kept getting better and better too and that was who kept stopping her year after year. I don't have a list of all these grass tournaments she won from 1985-1988, because grass seasons became shorter and shorter as everything got paved, to the point when Evert would only play two a year.

The brutal fact is late career results declined most at the US Open. Her last final at the Open was in 1984, she would end up with two Aussie finals, one Wimbledon and two French Open wins after she stopped reaching the Open final. Couple that with the fact that she failed to reach her customary semifinal in both 1987 (McNeil), and 1989 ( Garrison), and frankly that 1986 semifinal was just not pretty at all ( Except to Sukova relatives) Except for the odd brilliant match, Chris always seemed vulnerable at the Open and she wasn't winning the Lipton in Miami, or Toronto either. It was on hard courts that Sabatini and Sukova started to beat her and Graf was dominating her. I just don't know why.

Great post! Carpet was always a problem (relatively speaking, of course) and IIRC our old pal Daze said it had to do in part with Chrissie never being comfortable with the artificial lighting at indoor events. It's funny though, because after she had the series of bad losses to Austin over the span of a couple of weeks in early 1980, Chrissie would from then on only play a minimum of indoor events per year. She might have played one or two in 1981, same in 1982, but when you compare it with the amount of indoor events she was playing in say, 1977 it's a noticeable drop-off. It's interesting because Chrissie's no longer playing a full indoor season in 1981 and 1982 probably played a part in Avon withdrawing their sponsorship ( along with the Marilyn Barnett revelations about BJK and also Austin's chronic injuries) as well as the demise of the U.S. indoor season.

I think Chrissie's continued success on grass in comparison with other surfaces late in her career, was in part due to the fact that she knew how to play on the surface and few others (save Martina and Steffi did). But I also think that her increasing aggressiveness as she got older with a bigger serve, a topspin forehand and more heat off the ground in general were also in part to make up for her declining mental strength. Chrissie's concentration was just not as good as she got older and she could not as consistently grind it out point after point the way she had done in her prime.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great post! Carpet was always a problem (relatively speaking, of course) and IIRC our old pal Daze said it had to do in part with Chrissie never being comfortable with the artificial lighting at indoor events. It's funny though, because after she had the series of bad losses to Austin over the span of a couple of weeks in early 1980, Chrissie would from then on only play a minimum of indoor events per year. She might have played one or two in 1981, same in 1982, but when you compare it with the amount of indoor events she was playing in say, 1977 it's a noticeable drop-off. It's interesting because Chrissie's no longer playing a full indoor season in 1981 and 1982 probably played a part in Avon withdrawing their sponsorship ( along with the Marilyn Barnett revelations about BJK and also Austin's chronic injuries) as well as the demise of the U.S. indoor season.

I think Chrissie's continued success on grass in comparison with other surfaces late in her career, was in part due to the fact that she knew how to play on the surface and few others (save Martina and Steffi did). But I also think that her increasing aggressiveness as she got older with a bigger serve, a topspin forehand and more heat off the ground in general were also in part to make up for her declining mental strength. Chrissie's concentration was just not as good as she got older and she could not as consistently grind it out point after point the way she had done in her prime.
I agree with all of this. In addition, I just got the sense she burned out earlier and earlier each season from 1986-1989. She was fresh and excited in February, March and April, By mid August she was adrift of serious goals for that year, and wanted the seasons to be over. Her motivation seeped slowly away after Wimbledon and it felt like real work to get invested in the Open and the indoor tournaments of October and November.

By the way what ever happed to Marilyn Barnett. I remember when all that went down. I felt awful for BJK. The legitimate press were mostly positive but the tabloids were horrible. BJK lost a hell of a lot of endorsement revenue thanks to that woman.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I agree with all of this. In addition, I just got the sense she burned out earlier and earlier each season from 1986-1989. She was fresh and excited in February, March and April, By mid August she was adrift of serious goals for that year, and wanted the seasons to be over. Her motivation seeped slowly away after Wimbledon and it felt like real work to get invested in the Open and the indoor tournaments of October and November.

By the way what ever happed to Marilyn Barnett. I remember when all that went down. I felt awful for BJK. The legitimate press were mostly positive but the tabloids were horrible. BJK lost a hell of a lot of endorsement revenue thanks to that woman.
I believe Barnett committed suicide a few years back...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Finally in its entirety ! The only Chris/Martina match that ended up 7/6 in the third. One of the best matches ever in the history of women's tennis according to BJK, who was commentating the match.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Finally in its entirety ! The only Chris/Martina match that ended up 7/6 in the third. One of the best matches ever in the history of women's tennis according to BJK, who was commentating the match.
thanks for noticing

·
Registered
195 Posts

Its all about priorities tonight. I am supposed to watch a 6 month old baby,a two year old and a 4 year old for someone all day today. But I have some moving boxes, and tape. They are big enough boxes for some toys though and I will definitely cut out some breathing holes.

I hope there is enough room in the garage...

·
25,384 Posts
Incredible find randyblue!

It was not their first 7-6 in the 3rd however. Martina's first win over Evert came indoors in 1975 in The Slims of Washington DC. Martina won it on sudden death point. At 4 all in the tiebreak whoever won the next point took the match. Talk about pressure! Martina barely got her racquet on on on Evert passing shot. The volley bounced off the wood frame---and dropped just over the net.

Martina won it and a pissy mad Evert was not here usual classy self. She quickly shook hands and stormed off the court. She might have even skipped the press conference.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I can imagine our conservative, never leave anything to chance Chrissie E would NOT have liked 'sudden death' at all!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Marvelous tennis. I was surprised with how often Evert came up here. That lob was devastating at several key points. The clay give her just enough more time to really disguise it. Chris did the same thing the next year except Martina was never really in that 1988 final. Interesting that BJK noted her doublehanded slice approach several times. It was a rare shot to see from her except on grass and you could tell she had been working on giving it more bite and pace as the eighties went on. The next generation of two handers ( exception Seles), basically abandoned the two handed slice a la Borg, Connors and Evert, and did what Wilander, Manuala Maleeva and Sanchez Vicario did. They adopted a one handed backhand slice.

I know I am not supposed to be judgemental, but I think it shows a lack of character. If you are willing to abandon your two hander for a pretty little one handed slice, what does that say about your sense of steadfast loyalty to your friends, your family?

2721 - 2740 of 2747 Posts