1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
37,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
19 Posts
idk but I find Chrissy annoying and focused on herself. Even if it's good, she still cares about tennis, I don't think she should talk so much crap. For sure he meant men's tennis but hello, she just have to point out her accomplishments

·
Registered
11,730 Posts
As Serena once said on Letterman "its a completely different sport". Djokovic was talking about his, Evert should focus on hers. These guys are responsible for inflating WTA prize money after all.
Pretty sure both Djocovid and Nadal are against equal prize money.

·
Registered
37,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Serena once said on Letterman "its a completely different sport". Djokovic was talking about his, Evert should focus on hers. These guys are responsible for inflating WTA prize money after all.
Djokovic is a nobody compared to Serena or even Sharapova.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts

·
Registered
114,331 Posts
Nole and Rafa might meet a few more times and both win more majors.
This is the all time rivalry and could get to 25 and 24 in a few years
I thought Rafa looked great all major and that was the only time Nole last a match all year. 2 of the greatest, but there can be only one and they both want it badly
They have a long way to go. but Evert should be proud she played Nav 80 times, but these 2 are the best players, not Evert

·
Registered
24,228 Posts
idk but I find Chrissy annoying and focused on herself. Even if it's good, she still cares about tennis, I don't think she should talk so much crap. For sure he meant men's tennis but hello, she just have to point out her accomplishments
I don't see this at all. She's often self-deprecating and dismissive of her own accomplishments until one of her fellow commentators brings up her record(s), and she usually chimes in with something about how much times have changed.

I think she's being cheeky here, and it's well done. She and Martina deserve a hell of a lot of respect for what they did for tennis and women's sport in general.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Fair play to her for highlighting this, we should all do this when men's tennis is assumed to be the default, etc.

But honestly, Murray is the only slam champion on the men's side in recent years who would caveat a statement around gender. No way Federer or Nadal would chime in and call any part of the tripartite rivalry second to Evert-Navratilova, etc. Djokovic is an easy punching bag because he talks too much and is aggressively and willfully ignorant about so much, but I'd be stunned not to see either Federer or Nadal making similar gendered comments throughout their career.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Chrissie (and Martina) played during an era when male players were overtly dismissive of the women's game. As others have already said, this was primarily said tongue and cheek, but she (and Martina) have every right to be a bit sensitive to perceived slights by male players.

And Chrissie has always been very humble about her own place in tennis' history.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Women’s tennis is women’s tennis and men’s tennis is men’s tennis. They are two separate entities and thus I don’t expect men’s players to take into account women’s tennis when making statements about themselves.

When we have discussion over who the goat is on this site we don’t need to clarify “in women’s tennis”. It is implied because we are discussing on a women’s tennis board.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Pretty sure both Djocovid and Nadal are against equal prize money.
I’m personally with them on it as well. Now women’s prize money needed to be raised from where it was, but especially at slams they should see less pay than the men as they spend less time on court and they generally get less viewership.

Not something I feel has to be remedied, but I wouldn’t be upset if they were being payed less either.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts