Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Mark Hodgkinson
(Filed: 16/02/2006)

China's well-funded ambitions to become the next superpower of women's tennis have been thrown into controversy after it emerged yesterday that their second-ranked player, Peng Shuai, wants to break away from communist state control.

Peng, the world No 61, who has previously beaten such top players such as Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva, has grown frustrated at having to pay a significant portion of her winnings to the state. Reports from China suggested players have been required to give up as much as 65 per cent of their prize money.

Peng has indicated that she will no longer follow what have appeared to be restrictive training regimes, and will decide on her own coaching team, preparations and tournaments.

China's tennis authorities are understood to be highly embarrassed that Peng's dissatisfaction has been made so public. Since Beijing was awarded the 2008 Olympic Games, the state has become interested in funding the sport, looking ahead to the prospect of gold medals.

The investment across China has already paid off. At the Australian Open last month China won its first grand slam title, with Zi Jan and Jie Zheng taking the women's doubles title at Melbourne Park.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=LTKET1BBKPXZ3QFIQMFCFGGAVCBQYIV0?xml=/sport/2006/02/16/sthodg16.xml&sSheet=/sport/2006/02/17/ixtenn.html

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Stating China is embarassed doesn't mean they are. They have a system, so far it seems to be producing results. They aren't forcing her to participate in it, they simply aren't supporting her if she doesn't. Seems quite fair. And even if she does well on her own, she still came up under their system, so she'll still be making them look good.

·
Original Queen, Majestic V!
4,897 Posts
China invests alot in their athletes. if you remove the political bias (almost impossible) ... who wouldn't want to travel with coaches, trainers and doctors?

i'm totally empathetic of Peng's position. she wants more control over the personnel, circumstances & finances. its her skill and life, yet she remains a product of China's system.

how much respect is due to the system that enabled yah?

·
Registered
23,442 Posts
Why doesn't the article mention that she beat Clijsters? It says she beat Lena and Nastya but not Clijsters which is her best career win. I find that odd. About the whole situation with the Chinese Federation I don't really know enough to make an informed comment.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
all the power to peng. women have been scrutinized and kept captive under that country forever. as a future sociologist and women's right's activist, i only praise her for getting the hell out of that country.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
SAEKeithSerena said:
all the power to peng. women have been scrutinized and kept captive under that country forever. as a future sociologist and women's right's activist, i only praise her for getting the hell out of that country.
You didn't follow the link to the other article, did you?

Also, just a note, she isn't being 'kept captive'. She's quite free to leave.

·
Original Queen, Majestic V!
4,897 Posts
SAEKeithSerena said:
i only praise her for getting the hell out of that country.
lotsa people in China, if they all "get out" European/Western culture would quickly forget their Islamic "problems" ...

China may pose cultural/political differences ... but they did assist Peng.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
okay besides peng, i know my studies and china is horrible to women in general so maybe i was just venting.

·
Registered
13,087 Posts
Good for her, I am totally against the CTA, I even have to send my e-mails to Jie through them. It's not a fair system in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Chevina said:
Good for her, I am totally against the CTA, I even have to send my e-mails to Jie through them. It's not a fair system in my opinion.

THANK YOU!!!!!!:worship: :worship: :worship: :kiss:

Reactions: Kitakaze

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think she should defect to Britain & play tennis for us. Pleeeaase!!!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
SAEKeithSerena said:
okay besides peng, i know my studies and china is horrible to women in general so maybe i was just venting.
:lol: What an intresting and imaginative opinion

1 - 20 of 33 Posts