Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Martyn Pawelski? Who dat?
Polish junior, he reached singles and doubles semifnal during Roland Garros this year.

Nice work here from Iga and everyone else involved. It's going to be awkward to see her lose games on purpose against Aga.
It's an exho, they're gonna have fun not gonna fight tooth and nail to "prove" who's better. But for the record during SuperLeague month ago (late May) it was Aga that looked much better in doubles than Ula, she's gonna show good level. Now she's gonna have another 2 months of practice, well - we'll see how Aga does in doubles during Wimbledon Invitational.

Not necessarily referring to this event, but the whole situation. She's taking a dangerous route, one that might impact the trajectory of her tennis career.
Please, just stop this rethoric, this is such bs. She's helping children suffering during a war through a charity tennis match, not taking a seat in parliament.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Well yeah it's not like I'll get in contact with her in order to change her mind lol. Just saying that I'm worried about how this might work out for her tennis, that's all.

Focusing on activism as a pro athlete can be a career destroyer these days, that's a fact.
It's not like she's going to be organising this event herself personally. She's going to show up for an hour or so and hit a few balls. Her biggest challenge is going to be not bagelling Radwańska (wouldn't be a good look).

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
It's not like she's going to be organising this event herself personally. She's going to show up for an hour or so and hit a few balls. Her biggest challenge is going to be not bagelling Radwańska (wouldn't be a good look).
Dude what can I say, I hope you're right. Maybe I'm worrying too much for no reason.
Maybe the Osaka debacle is still too fresh in my mind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Again, as I said, I'm more worried about future implications.
Future implications will be: some funds collected for good reason. And meantime you are worried about Iga bad PR? Why doing good should impact her?!
I believe you really don't understand what is happening in Ukraine. Or you are heartless. This is not greyzone topic. This is about pure evil and standing against it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm worried about her, activism and success in sport don't get along well, especially in this era of hyper social media exposure.
It'd be such a waste of her talent.
You can be great athlete and support great causes. Perhaps you're not able to understand this, because you don't live in Central/Eastern Europe. I'm guessing you or your loved ones have never experienced Russian "friendship" on your own skin, like Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Hungarians, Ukrainians, Lithuanians, Latvians, Estonians, Belorussians, Finns and many other nations have been. You don't have to support Iga in this - that's fine - just don't complain.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Future implications will be: some funds collected for good reason. And meantime you are worried about Iga bad PR? Why doing good should impact her?!
I believe you really don't understand what is happening in Ukraine. Or you are heartless. This is not greyzone topic. This is about pure evil and standing against it.
You missed the point pretty bad. It's not about Iga's PR, it's about focusing on her career.
(Ukraine has nothing to do with what I'm saying)

·
Registered
349 Posts
For the love of God Iga I know that Poland has a beef with Russia and whatever but please pretty fucking please don't take the political/activist route, focus on tennis and tennis only, stop with this Ukraine stuff.
Why thought? What would be the point of becoming a sport star, if she couldn't support a cause she believes? She isn't a single purpose machine, if you respect her results, you shouldn't ask her to shut up (even when you "fucking please", who does even speak like that?)

BTW "Ukraine stuff", really? Downplaying full fledged war, armed invasion combined with severe terrorism from Russia as a "stuff"? Maybe Iga should do one more exhibition to help the message to sink in?

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Why thought? What would be the point of becoming a sport star, if she couldn't support a cause she believes? She isn't a single purpose machine, if you respect her results, you shouldn't ask her to shut up (even when you "fucking please", who does even speak like that?)

BTW "Ukraine stuff", really? Downplaying full fledged war, armed invasion combined with severe terrorism from Russia as a "stuff"? Maybe Iga should do one more exhibition to help the message to sink in?
That's exactly the problem I'm referring to. She can support any cause she wants, but personally I would much prefer if she remained focused on her tennis career, otherwise it could be such a waste of her once in a generation talent.
There might also be a bit of selfishness in my point of view, I won't deny that, but it is what it is.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts