Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HAND SCRAPED
7,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah she actually came back to the game from her injury earlier on in the clay season, but last year at Madrid was her first big point scorer. She's defended her final points well, and is the clear favourite in the final, so has even improved.

After this event last year was a great rest of season, followed by a solid 2003. The summer will be hard work for chanda, lots of points to defend, esp the big ones in L.A. and Eastbourne. - Will she defend either, or both, or will she be another title-less player in the top 10?

2002-08-05 Los Angeles 419 WON II
2002-06-17 Eastbourne 301 WON II
2003-03-17 Miami 255 SF I
2002-06-24 Wimbledon 198 4TH Grand Slam
2002-05-27 Roland Garros 190 4TH Grand Slam
2002-08-26 U.S. Open 168 4TH Grand Slam
2003-01-27 Tokyo 162 SF I
2002-10-21 Linz 158 SF II
2002-05-20 Madrid 128 F III
2003-01-13 Australian Open 118 4TH Grand Slam
2003-03-03 Indian Wells 112 QF I
2003-01-06 Sydney 95 QF II
2002-11-04 Los Angeles 67 1ST WTA Championships
2002-08-12 Montreal 46 2ND I
2002-07-29 San Diego 39 3RD II
2003-02-24 Scottsdale 33 2ND II
2003-05-12 Rome 1 2ND I
-------------------------------------
2003-05-05 Berlin 1 2ND I
2002-10-14 Zurich 1 1ST I
2002-10-07 Filderstadt 1 1ST II

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
wow...big points for Chanda to defend, coming up....

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
BTW, I don't think she'll be defending all those points...no way at all....

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Chanda should win the final and then do well at RG. I think she'll make the quarters and that will only help her ranking. Look for her to make the QF's at at least one of Wimby and/or the USO. I don't see a problem with her defending her 4th round finishes at either of these...I expect her to continue to improve on them actually!

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
If she goes titleless, she will fall out of the top 10. The days of titleless top-10ers are pretty much over. (the exception, of course, could be a player who goes very deep into a couple of Slams instead)

I would love to see Chanda do great in the 3 remaining Slams -- that is something she has not had too much success at -- and also pick up a couple more titles. :)

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
janie said:
If she goes titleless, she will fall out of the top 10. The days of titleless top-10ers are pretty much over. (the exception, of course, could be a player who goes very deep into a couple of Slams instead)
Hantuchova is in the top ten and titleless. dokic too?

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Rtael said:
BTW, I don't think she'll be defending all those points...no way at all....
i don't see why not. she is now a top eight player in the world, she has a good draw to the quarters of RG which means about 250 points, then there is no reason she cannot defend eastbourne considering she did not drop a set last year and the only new player in the draw is capriati. she is likely be a top 8 seed at wimbledon even if she does not win eastbourne because those points off do not count for seedings so she will not face a top player until the quarters (+ dokic has q/f RG + winner of birmingham; myskina finalist birmimgham and eastbourne and hantuchova 4th RG semis eastbourne). she played so well last year in the us and there is absolutely no reason why see won't again, and considering the fact that she only got points in LA and made the 4th round of the US Open then there are plenty of tournaments for her to make up points + she did not play well at the end of the year except for one of lower tier tournaments. all in all i see no reason why chanda will not add points to her current total, and in fact i believe she will!! why do people treat her like she still is just a top 20 player who can't repoduce big results - she is no.8 in the world and has been playing very well this year despite niggling injuries. she has made the final of exhibition at the start of the year crushing dokic and dementiva; q/f in sydney losing to winner clijsters; 4th round in Aus Open - should have made q/finals but choked against 8th seeded myskina; semis in toyko - again choked against seles; q/f IW beating hot sugiyama falling to winner clijsters; S/F in miami crushing henin and mauresmo; final in madrid without dropping a set and bagelling quality clay courters like tulyganova. she has had 3 losses to lower ranked players all year ie granville after she had not played for over a month, and serna and loit again after missing the first month of the clay court season with an injury and those two players have both had good results on clay this year (ie serna 18-4 W/L + loit def dementieva/mikalian in strasbourg). give chanda a break.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Yeah i agree with switz. Shes got a good chance of defending, esp. now shes top 8 so she will get better draws than she did last year. Last year she was playing well but always facing a Williams early, but now that cant happen until the QF so she can even improve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts