Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:)

I noticed that sometimes WTA players waste challenges prematurely, sometimes even foolishly after the first few games. Some players ask for challenge and the ball is like 15 centimetres out every time as well. :SNE: :silly: I mean they have someone in their box who can even by facial expression or simple gesture suggest that it makes no sense, let alone crowd.

And there are others who ask for challenge already after returning the ball to the other side in neutral position thinking there was out instead of going on with a rally. :tape: Then they often proceed to lose this point, sometimes very crucial one. Some memorable instances: Kvitova - Janković match at Wimbledon late in the match few years ago. Linette last week vs Babos in 2nd set in Taipei (Linette gave away her own service game by losing BP in this suicidal way).

I remember Venus Williams not taking challenges when she really should or could have in the past on the other side too but when she takes challenge she's usually correct.

Ostapenko is really bad when it comes to challenges on the other hand.

I suspect that some of these, hopeless challenges are used to throw off your opponent, to catch your breath, get a break ... more to do with this sneaky purpose thinking about the next points than to get more favorable call.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Serena's probably the best at challenging her own shots. Jankovic also used to be pretty good at it too a decade or so ago, especially off of her opponent's shots.

I'm not sure who's the worst but Mug is terrible at it. I feel like half of hers are out of desperation.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
the best - serena, venus when she decides to :tape:

the worst - usually the counterpuncher crew, caroline and JJ especially because they can be pretty desperate for their opponents errors.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Gotta be Venus. On the very rare occasion she challenges, she's usually right.

Hsieh Su Wei is also pretty accurate generally.

I love my girl Strycova but she has to be one of the worst... lots of arbitrary challenges she knows are wrong, and yet there are a few calls (even at this AO) that could have used one that completely pass her by.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I've definitely seen Maria get pretty indignant and righteous about some calls when challenging and then the ball winds up being in/out by about half a ball mark :lol: I remember at AO 2008 I think though she was on fire with her challenging.

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
It depends on what you consider the worst. :lol: Unless you run out and can't make a successful challenge, who cares? I guess it's also a little embarrassing when a ball is far out or in and a player challenges too.

But if you go through a match and make 5 unsuccessful challenges on close calls, is that really"bad"?

·
Art & Futures
20,618 Posts
Sorana, especially considering how fast she hits the ball.

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
This is epic, only in America! :surprise: They all must watch this.
There was also an incident with the 5th challenge, Cibulkova was the one to call the ball out and umpire agreed with her, overruled, then the point was replayed despite Cirstea's complaints. Cibulkova was not at all fair play, she should have admitted to being the first one to call the ball out. It was seconds before the the umpire cried out as well.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Federer was actually pretty good at first, then became quite bad at it.

Capriati was done when the challenge system was implemented, but she would've been up there for the worst. She bitched about bad calls all the time and the mac cam always proved her wrong.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts