Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great result for tennis today but I was a little bit surprised the crowd was not a little bit more partisan in favour of Sharapova. I am sure that if this match had been played in Paris the crowd would have been far more into it. The crowd clapping ever so politely appear to reflect an era that does not exist anymore. Wimbledon should sell more tickets on the day to try and get a younger audience.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Ian S said:
Great result for tennis today but I was a little bit surprised the crowd was not a little bit more partisan in favour of Sharapova. I am sure that if this match had been played in Paris the crowd would have been far more into it. The crowd clapping ever so politely appear to reflect an era that does not exist anymore. Wimbledon should sell more tickets on the day to try and get a younger audience.
:rolleyes: Some of you are never satisfied are you? If this had been played in Paris and everyone had been screaming for Sharapova, the crowd would have been accused of being WS/USA haters or racist or probably all three knowing the mood of this board most of the time!!!

This was a civilised British crowd, whats wrong with that? Anyway, I disagree, I heard plenty of shouting when I was watching ..............

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
The crowd is the best today, applauding for two great players.

I was always critical of Wimbledon crowd saying they are boring and whatever, I see another side of this and actually enjoy this more now

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Jasmin said:
Maybe they wanted Serena to win.
:eek: I don't think that's what the thread starter wanted. Imagine how unthinkable it is for a crowd to be rooting for Serena or better yet, rooting for good tennis between two good players. Amazing how even a polite crowd is wrong.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think it was a polite crowd. They put hands together everytime a good point was scored, no matter who won it. What else can you expect from it?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
i agree! this is why i love the french atmosphere, its so much more enjoyable. so much shouting and clapping on break points, trying to get the player motivated. but at wimbledon, its not exactly an exciting atmosphere.
i have been both too roland garros and wimbledon, and i must say. the french may be abit more unfair, but they make the match more enjoyable

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I can't remember which player said it (probably Ilie Nastase) but one did describe the Wimbledon crowds as aged "between 50 and dead."

·
Banned
723 Posts
very few fans actually get tickets for these matches you see:)....do you know how difficult it is to obtain tickets for ladies or mens final day?:)

most people who attend wimbledon are NOT tennis fans

i dont like the french crowd..its ok being partisan or in favour to a player but booing someone for fun thats rude:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts