Tennis Forum banner

521 - 540 of 560 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,817 Posts
Little Richard was the greatest rock n roller of his generation. Better than Presley, better than Buddy Holly, better than Chuck Berry, better than the Everly Brothers, better than Fats Domino, better than Jerry Lee Lewis, better than Bill Haley.... he was the best. I don't honestly listen to a lot of 1950s rock n roll. But when I do, this is the guy I turn to. Unlike most of his peers, his music still sounds edgy, decadent, dangerous and fresh after over 60 years of being recorded. This is a really big loss. RIP Little Richard. :cry:

·
Premium Member
38,681 Posts
I think that among the most famous pioneers of rock'n'roll, Jerry Lee Lewis is the only one remaining now. You may mention Don Everly as well but he's more a pioneer of pop folk rock to me. You may mention Wanda Jackson too.

·
Premium Member
170,973 Posts
The great Millie Small ("My Boy Lollipop"), who was hugely responsible for bringing Jamaican music to the world, has died at the age of 72. Even though her international career was basically that of a "one hit wonder," and the song itself was a remake of a minor 1956 release, her legacy will live forever.

R.I.P.
OMG, this one really hits hard. I first discovered her a few years ago on a compilation album. She was much more than a one hit wonder with a deep catalogue of impressive recordings. RIP 🙏

·
Registered
39,666 Posts
Soul singer Betty Wright, best known for her hit Clean Up Woman, dies at 66
  • The star's niece confirmed she died Sunday morning
  • Mary J. Blige sample Wright's 1971 track Clean Up Woman in her hit Real Love
  • Wright was Beyonce Knowles' vocal coach and sang backing vocals for Stevie Wonder. She also wrote for Jennifer Lopez, Michael Jackson, and Gloria Estefan
By Leah Simpson for Dailymail.com

Published: 11:41 EDT, 10 May 2020 | Updated: 12:58 EDT, 10 May 2020

Soul singer Betty Wright has passed away at the age of 66.

The No Pain (No Gain) and Tonight Is the Night hitmaker passed away on Sunday morning, her niece confirmed.

'I just lost my aunt this morning.... and now my mood has changed.... sleep in peace aunty Betty Wright. Fly high angel,' she tweeted.

Her niece added in a tribute on Twitter: 'My auntie was a legend.... she helped me get my first paychecks singing background..... and I didn’t make it to see you this past week and that’s going to haunt me .... R.I.P. Betty Wright.'

Soul singer Betty Wright passed away on Sunday morning at the age of 66. She is pictured circa 1970

Betty Wright attends the Membership Celebration & Holiday Party on December 13, 2018 in Miami

Soul singer Betty Wright passed away on Sunday morning at the age of 66. Right, the star attends the Membership Celebration & Holiday Party on December 13, 2018 in Miami, Left she is pictured circa 1970

Wright's niece did not confirm the cause of death in a tweet from Miami, Florida on Sunday

Wright's niece did not confirm the cause of death in a tweet from Miami, Florida on Sunday.

Wright was Beyonce Knowles' vocal coach and sang backing vocals for Stevie Wonder. She also wrote for Jennifer Lopez, Michael Jackson, and Gloria Estefan

Wright was Beyonce Knowles' vocal coach and sang backing vocals for Stevie Wonder. She also wrote for Jennifer Lopez, Michael Jackson, and Gloria Estefan.

Wright's niece did not confirm the cause of death.

She is survived by her four children Aisha, Patrice, Chaka and Asher.

Continued @ Soul singer Betty Wright, best known song Clean Up Woman, dies at 66

Rest In Peace, Ms. Wright. 😢

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
English singer Phil May died today.

May formed the Pretty Things in 1963 with guitarist Dick Taylor. With May as lead singer, the band became part of the British blues rock scene, alongside Taylor's previous band, the Rolling Stones.

·
Premium Member
38,681 Posts
^I crossed him in Paris 15 years ago and he winked at me in the hotel breakfast room. He probably remembered me from the night before, dancing from the first seats of the Olympia where he performed. I always recall that wink, he looked like a cool guy. 😉

521 - 540 of 560 Posts