Tennis Forum banner

421 - 440 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
46,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Kenny was a very likable guy and I enjoyed songs like "20 Years Ago" and "Through The Years". "The Gambler" was huge when I was little. He performed locally a few times but I never went to see him, which I kind of regret. RIP.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,251 Posts

·
HEADBANGER
69,089 Posts
Love Asterix, brilliant cartoon.
R.I.P.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,251 Posts
Asterix's dad Abert Uderzo has died 😭
Also French/Cameroon jazz musician Manu Dibango (the latter due to Covid-19)
I'm very sad to hear about Manu Dibango passing away. He was one of my favourite saxophonists. I love his music and he really had an incredible and extremely varied career. In the 60s he worked with quite a few French musicians and that's how I first found out about him. I love the contribution he made to some of Nino Ferrer's best music.

He also arranged several tracks for the great Senegalese/French singer Vicky Blain (sadly not enough of her music is available on YouTube but all her tracks are pretty great.)

In the late 60s he made some incredible jazzy lounge music. I know that is probably not a genre that many people here are that into but I love it and his 1st album saxy party is a big fave of mine. Yeah, it's quite cheesy but that's its charm I think.

Soul Makossa is his most famous track and it is one of the alltime great afro-funk tracks.

And finally this is a track from one of his most well know albums recorded in the late 80s. This one was written by Fela Kuti.

Like a lot of jazz musicians Manu was extremely prolific and he recorded over well over 50 albums. I think I've listened to 5 of them so I am thankful there is much more of his music there is yet for me to discover. He was a great talent and will be very missed.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts

·
***** Emeritus
41,346 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
421 - 440 of 467 Posts