Tennis Forum banner

381 - 400 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
18,360 Posts
Right after LeBron passes him on the all-time scoring list...

the conspiracy theorists will have a field day.

·
Premium Member
37,866 Posts
Tried to find my favorite sketch with Terry Jones... but couldn't. He tries to change clothes at the beach but can't find any place to do so discreetly. After several unsuccessful (and funny) attempts at any place available, finally ends in a dark corner in town that seems to be the quiet place, but while undressing, spotlight gets on him and he notices he's on a stage with an attendance watching. So he gave up trying to hide and delivers an old-fashioned strip show. 😀
Here from 5:35 on:

·
Registered
31,139 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,670 Posts

Andy Gill the Guitarist and Founder of Gang Of Four dead at 64 :cry:
I remember 1st hearing the Gang of Four in 79 when Entertainment came out and I was flabbergasted. I had never heard anyone play guitar remotely like that before. It was like he invented a new way of playing guitar. How many other guitarists can one say that about? Honestly....I can't think of another. Of course he was much imitated and today Entertainment almost sounds like conventional funky post punk. But when it came out it sounded anything but conventional. It was something so much more abrasive than what I was used to and yet even then once could also see that it worked as dance music and party music too. It was catchy and it worked a treat in the punk rock discos. Yeah....Entertainment is truly one of the landmark albums of the last 50 years.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,670 Posts
It actually feels almost redundant calling Kirk Douglas a legend, but that is the word that does instantly come to mind. He made so many great movies. I think my favourites tend to be some of his early film noir movies, The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers, Out Of The Past, The Bad And The Beautiful and especially Ace In The Hole. I like movies that have a dark edge to them and all those films have that in droves. Lust For Life and Sparticus are pretty awesome too.

I was also touched reading his obit that he said he was more proud of his part in ending McCarthyism than any film part he played. That's so cool and it says so much about him and his values. So he was not only a truly great actor but he was also one of the real life good guys, heroes even. Yeah, legend. RIP Kirk.

·
Premium Member
37,866 Posts
Kirk Douglas had fantastic humor too. He was once the guest of a literary show on a French channel presented by Bernard Pivot, as he had published a book. Pivot told him: "it's amazing how you are a star and famous actor around the world, as there were a crowd to welcome you at the Paris airport" etc (I quote from memory) and Kirk replied: "No Monsieur Pivot, it's not because I am a star, it's because I am a great writer!" 😃

He was perfect everytime I heard him. A great man.

·
Premium Member
37,866 Posts
Kirk Douglas had fantastic humor too. He was once the guest of a literary show on a French channel presented by Bernard Pivot, as he had published a book. Pivot told him: "it's amazing how you are a star and famous actor around the world, as there were a crowd to welcome you at the Paris airport" etc (I quote from memory) and Kirk replied: "No Monsieur Pivot, it's not because I am a star, it's because I am a great writer!" 😃

He was perfect everytime I heard him. A great man.
The excerpt I recalled (he talked french during the whole show - he learned french once in 2 months for a movie!)

·
Premium Member
37,866 Posts
French drawer and cartoonist Claire Bretécher. She meant a lot for the women and feminist and free spirits and humor of the 70s, without militantism, and with deep, subtle irony. And she had an insane charm as a person.

in english

in french (1977)

·
Premium Member
104,618 Posts
Famous British TV presenter Caroline Flack committed suicide after being charged with her domestic violence case.

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
DJ, musician, producer, writer and remixer Andrew Weatherall has died aged 56 unexpextedly.

The cause was pulmonary embolism.

Sad day for music fans. I'm shocked.

"Andrew Weatherall is a key figure in UK dance culture. He was there at the beginning of UK club culture in the late 80's just as Ecstasy was changing the dancefloors into something more open minded and loved up. He is a founder member of the Boys Own fanzine that documented what was happening then in sarcastic, trenchant terms - contrasting harshly with the sometimes "fluffy" or hippie-ish rhetoric spouted by some caught up in the Acid House movement. The Boys Own parties were considered a destination for the smarter set and for musical connoisseurs, unlike the lowest-common-denominator mega-raves which were kicking off at the same time. "

·
Registered
39,190 Posts
‘Good Times’ Star Ja’net DuBois Dead at 74

Dubois is best known for playing the Evans family's sassy neighbor Willona Woods on the classic Black '70s TV sitcom "Good Times"

By Blue Telusma - February 18, 2020

Ja'net DuBois
HOLLYWOOD - MARCH 2: Singer Ja'net DuBois poses during the TV Land Awards 2003 at the Hollywood Palladium on March 2, 2003 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

“Good Times” actress Ja’net Dubois has reportedly been found dead.

According to TMZ, Tuesday morning the body of the actress was allegedly discovered although had appeared in good health while attending a fan event in Hollywood a couple weeks ago and, “hadn’t complained of any specific ailments recently.”

Her family informed the outlet that she unexpectedly passed away in her sleep at her home in Glendale, CA.

Janet Dubois

SANTA MONICA, CA – MARCH 19: (L-R) Johnny Carter, Actress BernNadette Stanis, Actor Jimmie Walker, Actor John Amos, and Ja’net Dubois accept the Impact Award for “Good Times” onstage at the 2006 TV Land Awards at the Barker Hangar on March 19, 2006 in Santa Monica, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Dubois is best known for playing the Evans family’s sassy neighbor Willona Woods on the classic Black ’70s TV sitcom “Good Times.” In addition to playing Willona, behind the scenes she also composed and sang the theme song, “Movin’ On Up” for another iconic show, “The Jeffersons.”

TMZ reports, “She appeared in tons of movies over the years, including “I’m Gonna Git You Sucka”, “Tropic Thunder” and “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.” Her acting career began on Broadway, where she was cast in a number of plays including “Golden Boy” with Sammy Davis Jr. and Louis Gossett Jr. — plus “A Raisin In The Sun.”

Dubois was 74 at the time of her passing and is survived by her 2 daughters and a son.

[The Grio]

RIP, Wilhelmina. (Good Times devotees will understand)

Related: The 'Good Times' We Remember With Ja'net Dubois | The YBF

381 - 400 of 405 Posts