Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
46,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Re: Lesser-Known Celebrity Death Notices (New: Oprah's mom)

Ooh that's a surprise! Never knew about the diagnosis.
I was shocked when I heard too. Apparently he was a very private person. Horrible news.

I always thought SBSP was stupid...before I ever watched it. Then I had my son and I watched with him and it was freaking hilarious.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
I was shocked when I heard too. Apparently he was a very private person. Horrible news.

I always thought SBSP was stupid...before I ever watched it. Then I had my son and I watched with him and it was freaking hilarious.
You must be one of the best dads in the world.

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,726 Posts
Re: Lesser-Known Celebrity Death Notices (New: Ken Berry, 85)

or he is easily amused :happy:

·
Registered
39,209 Posts

·
Registered
19,459 Posts

don't be too upset with Northstar's quip :lol: If I could be as amused at 50 as I was at 25, then something must be right. I've always felt that cartoons tended to be undervalued by adults, especially children's cartoons. But there is often surprisingly a high degree of thought put into making them. Nickelodeon in particular is pretty high class stuff.

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is probably one of my favourites out of Nickelodeon. I watched some episodes by DVD 2 years ago and was astonished by how much extra you get out of it being an adult, including some references that would have whizzed by if you were a kid. The series deals a lot with trying to fit in, being different, conquering anxiety and the value of friendship. These are good things for cartoons to show though kids might not fully grasp the big picture.

I also ended up going back over Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends (particularly first 5 seasons). The episodes are short (5 minutes each) but the level of detail and the storytelling is pretty interesting looking at it from an adult's perspective. At the time, they created actual model railways and trains to remotely control and film that. It does give a feeling of realism and I definitely felt that as a kid. They replaced that with CGI in the 00s but it's very cool seeing the original sets. The stories are actually pretty fun as well and not without some comic irony, though some adults think the engines are a bit too naughty, bully each other and therefore teach bad things to their kids! (when the point is that engines will misbehave and make mistakes, but they can always make up for it if given second chances and be useful again, and it's pretty much expected for a reverend to write it this way). There's something amazing about the series that they continue to write for it even now.

Season 4, one of my favourites from a storytelling perspective:

·
Registered
46,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

don't be too upset with Northstar's quip :lol: If I could be as amused at 50 as I was at 25, then something must be right. I've always felt that cartoons tended to be undervalued by adults, especially children's cartoons. But there is often surprisingly a high degree of thought put into making them. Nickelodeon in particular is pretty high class stuff.
I wasn't ;)

Yeah, cartoon makers have always thrown stuff in that only 'adults' will get, including the old Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny, etc.) that I watched as a kid in the '70s.

I wouldn't say I'm easily amused, but there's particular things that hit me in the right way. A lot of people laugh over someone tripping and falling on the sidewalk; I don't think that's funny at all. But I saw a greyhound in a turtleneck over the weekend and I just about vomited from laughing so hard.

Back on the subject, though he definitely deserves a thread of his own, #RIP41, George H. W. Bush, 94.

·
Premium Member
170,255 Posts

Don’t worry Dave, I’m the same way with Spongebob. I used to watch it with my brother’s kids, along with Fairly Odd Parents which was usually on right after Bob :p

I also used to watch Nick at Nite before bed, would fall asleep and wake up to Spongebob ...and not turn the channel 0:)

·
Registered
46,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Don’t worry Dave, I’m the same way with Spongebob. I used to watch it with my brother’s kids, along with Fairly Odd Parents which was usually on right after Bob :p

I also used to watch Nick at Nite before bed, would fall asleep and wake up to Spongebob ...and not turn the channel 0:)
Fairly Oddparents drove me nuts :lol: :no:

21 - 40 of 410 Posts