361 - 380 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
39,055 Posts

·
Registered
27,774 Posts
Rush drummer Neil Peart dead at 67
The Canadian musician had been diagnosed with brain cancer three years ago and died on 7 January in Santa Monica, California. A representative for the band confirmed the news after a spokesperson for Peart’s family released a statement. Peart was seen as one of the industry’s most technically proficient rock drummers. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer hall of fame in 1983, making him the youngest ever honouree. The former Police drummer Stewart Copeland called him “the most air-drummed-to drummer of all time”. He first picked up a pair of drumsticks at the age of 13 and officially joined the band in 1974 at the age of 22, soon becoming their primary lyricist.

·
Registered
30,970 Posts
The Canadian musician had been diagnosed with brain cancer three years ago and died on 7 January in Santa Monica, California. A representative for the band confirmed the news after a spokesperson for Peart’s family released a statement. Peart was seen as one of the industry’s most technically proficient rock drummers. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer hall of fame in 1983, making him the youngest ever honouree. The former Police drummer Stewart Copeland called him “the most air-drummed-to drummer of all time”. He first picked up a pair of drumsticks at the age of 13 and officially joined the band in 1974 at the age of 22, soon becoming their primary lyricist.
Wasn't a fan of the band, to say the least, but he certainly was a great drummer and a prominent Canadian musician. He certainly also had some tragedy in his life. His 19-year old daughter was killed in a car crash in 1997 and then 10 months later his common-law wife of 23 years succumbed to cancer, and then he himself contracted brain cancer at a relatively young 64. Brutal. RIP.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Avantgarde Jazz legend Wolfgang Dauner is dead:

The German jazz musician and composer Wolfgang Dauner is dead.
Wolfgang Dauner died on Friday morning after a long illness. He was 84 years old. This was confirmed by his wife to the German Press Agency in Stuttgart on Friday. The “Stuttgarter Zeitung” and the “Stuttgarter Nachrichten” reported first. For decades, Dauner was one of the defining figures on the German jazz scene. MarlbankWebsite

·
Registered
18,323 Posts

The Canadian musician had been diagnosed with brain cancer three years ago and died on 7 January in Santa Monica, California. A representative for the band confirmed the news after a spokesperson for Peart’s family released a statement. Peart was seen as one of the industry’s most technically proficient rock drummers. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer hall of fame in 1983, making him the youngest ever honouree. The former Police drummer Stewart Copeland called him “the most air-drummed-to drummer of all time”. He first picked up a pair of drumsticks at the age of 13 and officially joined the band in 1974 at the age of 22, soon becoming their primary lyricist
I was never a fan of Rush's music, but there was no doubt he was one of the best drummers ever... and if you read his lyrics, they are simply amazing. Ringo Starr wrote some very listenable one-octave pop songs, but there is more depth in just one of Neil's compositions than Mr. Starkey's entire library :LOL:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,534 Posts
I was never a fan of Rush's music, but there was no doubt he was one of the best drummers ever... and if you read his lyrics, they are simply amazing. Ringo Starr wrote some very listenable one-octave pop songs, but there is more depth in just one of Neil's compositions than Mr. Starkey's entire library :LOL:
Back off!!!!

You have obviously never heard this brilliant existential exploration of life.

Granted Neil Peart did have some great beards in his day but I'm not sure any of them match the one Ringo is sporting here....

·
Registered
46,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
How IS Peart pronounced? I've heard Pair-t, Parr-t, Peer-t, Purr-t...........

Regardless, I was very saddened to hear he had passed. I didn't become familiar with Rush until Moving Pictures, but that album is in my Top 5 of all-time and Neil was my favorite drummer.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I have all their albums from 1980-1991. :) I wanted to be a drummer as a kid, but I am a less is more type. I was much more a interested in his lyrics than his drumming :eek: (though he is a great drummer.)

How IS Peart pronounced? I've heard Pair-t, Parr-t, Peer-t, Purr-t...........
3mins in:

·
Registered
30,970 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Tried to find my favorite sketch with Terry Jones... but couldn't. He tries to change clothes at the beach but can't find any place to do so discreetly. After several unsuccessful (and funny) attempts at any place available, finally ends in a dark corner in town that seems to be the quiet place, but while undressing, spotlight gets on him and he notices he's on a stage with an attendance watching. So he gave up trying to hide and delivers an old-fashioned strip show. 😀

·
Registered
18,323 Posts
He wasn't even in the Top 3 of my favourite pythons, but still a comedy gawd!!!!

I loved this sketch...

361 - 380 of 382 Posts