1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agassi Celebrates 1, 000th Match Win
By REUTERS

Filed at 3:00 p.m. ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Andre Agassi celebrated his personal millennium on Tuesday with victory at the Stella Artois Championships in his 1,000th professional match.

The 33-year-old juggled swirling winds and a lively Peter Luczak to win, 7-6, 6-4.

It was a fitting milestone win on Queen's Club's grass Center Court, mirroring the success he enjoyed in his first match 17 years ago.

Then, with flowing blonde hair and bucket-loads of attitude, he beat John Austin in the first round of an event in La Quinta, California.

The 998 matches in between have featured some of the most scintillating tennis, earning Agassi the world number one spot and eight grand slam titles.

``When I started out I wouldn't have thought any of my 1,000 matches would have come on grass,'' smiled the player who dodged Wimbledon for four of his first five years on the Tour before winning the grasscourt grand slam in 1992.

``It is amazing to look back on it. There's not a lot goes on out there that I haven't seen before but it feels new each time.

``I've never been into quantity, though,'' he smiled. ``For me quality has always been more important so for me to be 33-years-old and make it back to world number one, that's something I'm really proud of.''

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bounce: :worship: Agassi! :bounce: :worship:

·
Registered
33,292 Posts
:worship:

·
Registered
5,730 Posts