Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone agree that there should be a Grand Slam event played on the indoor carpet surface? We have a slam for all the other three major surfaces but not one for carpet - there are many players out there who prefer this surface and could indeed excel on it.

Maybe the calender could create an extra grand slam to incorporate this or turn the US/Australia into it!

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i like the idea of it but i think we discussed it awhile back and notabley there wont be enough courts to get all the singles done, all the doubles done and the juniors. not to mention the calender problems. speaking of juniors it would be a good opportunity for them to learn how to play on the surface before they get on the tour.

there is also the fact that everyone thinks that there isnt a long enough grass season so why would they introduce another huge event.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
and there is no way that they will turn another slam into it.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
It would be nice, but it will never happen.

Shorten the clay or hard season and extend the grass season, that would be a more plausible possibility.

·
Banned
3,823 Posts
It would be nice, Venus & Serena would dominate...

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
whats indoor supreme? most are played on indoor hardcourts but kremlin is surpreme.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
and looking at tournament info on the wta site all except for kremlin are indoor hardcourt, i thought last year some were played on carpet or are they the same thing?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
There definitely should be, IMO. Shorten the clay season, and extend the grass season; shorten the hard court season, and extend the indoor season. Zurich/Moscow/Filderstat would be candidates for the GS.....I think Moscow would be best. Of course it'll never happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't....

And Venus and Serena would dominate it you twat....carpet/indoor is Venus' worst surface.

·
6,694 Posts
...as well as the number of courts needed, you'd also have to take into account the seating capacity of indoor arenas...it's really not feasible...and neither is creating a new Grand Slam... :)

·
Banned
164 Posts
Carpet is a ridiculous surface. First of all, it's indoors; second of all, you can't hear the ball bounce and all sound is muted, or drowned out by crowd noise. And the lighting is awful, so seeing the ball isn't easy. But if you want to see some really badly played tennis, like WTT, that's where you want to go.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
No, no, no, and no,

First: The grand slams are about tradition, history, you can't just pick a tournament and make it a Grand Slam, all the Grand Slams have been around over 100 years. You cannot compare.
second: as somebody pointed out, you need 18+ courts, how do you accomodate that in an indoor complex? there isn't a stadium like that in the entire world, and keep in mind you need two huge courts, one with 5000+ and one with 10000+ capacity as a minimum. In addition you need to have huge facilities to accomodate the press, computers, phones, cameras etc.

Third: prize money and costs, how on earth will you get that? the prize money for a big tier 1 like Miami is around $3,000,000, for a Grand slam is $15,000,000, and that's not counting hotel, transportation, security, etc.

that's to start with, but the most important is the first point, the grand smals are 4: Australian Open, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, uS Open, you can't change that, you will destroy the mystique, and I can promise you that four gs organizers will team up to stop the WTA/ATP/ITF if someone even tried to do this

·
Registered
107 Posts
The idea is interesting but just not practical for all the reasons previously stated. Plus you'd have to axe two tournaments from the schedule for it. I doubt the lesser players would be keen either, it would mean another two week period without earning potential....

·
Registered
199,011 Posts
Good idea, thoroughly agree! As far as I'm concerned indoors should mainly be played on carpet, unhappily you've more indoor HC's tournaments. And of course not a slowed down indoor carpet tournament. Though, can't see we'll have an indoor carpet Gs in the distant future.

·
15,233 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts