Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have been watching old VS matches from the early 1990s recently- can anyone explain to me what carpet/Supreme courts are? are they like actual carpet that you would have in your house? :confused:

are any WTA tournaments still played on this stuff?

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
I think they're like a very thin layer of carpet, with a hardened surface underneath them or something. I think the Toray Pan Pacific in Japan is carpet, but if it's still on the tour calendar, I'm not sure :p

·
63,589 Posts
I think they're like a very thin layer of carpet, with a hardened surface underneath them or something. I think the Toray Pan Pacific in Japan is carpet, but if it's still on the tour calendar, I'm not sure :p
They changed the surface to hard last year. Actually, they changed the venue to be exact.

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
I play on carpet during winter and I love it

It's pretty slow and the bounce is low which is perfect for me

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
i know the atp got rid of carpet because some players were hurting themselves. with carpet burn. But carpet was fast, but wood was faster.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The real carpet surface is fast, very fast. The balls are bouncing quite low and they're getting faster after the bounce, unlike on clay. I'm playing on carpet in winter, the season starts in october and ends in march, then we have clay courts. They are much healthier. After few months playing on carpet i'm feeling like an old man, especially my knes hurt. I'm a former pro, so i should be used to it, but carpet is very very hard to play on for more than a month.

·
Registered
39,557 Posts
I love carpet, it totally suits my game and I think flat hitters in general. There were some players who played really well on that stuff (Novotna, Tauziat, Maleeva), but since about 2002 the tour got rid of carpet more and more.

·
Premium Member
181,947 Posts
i know the atp got rid of carpet because some players were hurting themselves. with carpet burn. But carpet was fast, but wood was faster.
only reason they got rid of carpet was Rafa wouldnt go to play any fast events :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
so they changed surface to try and make him come
pathetic

i dont see clay events doing the opposite

·
Premium Member
181,947 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
As I started following the tour in 1988, I think there were 2 events famous for carpet: Tokyo in spring and Zurich in the fall.

Ironically, those 2 events were also attracted by mostly the same players. Especially Graf and Navratilova loved these 2, same as Manuela Maleeva. Apart from the Grand Slams, both Graf and Navratilova only met a number of times in tier I-II events and it happened mostly there.

In the old stadium, with the old surface, in Zurich Graf won numerous times.

I think it was Leipzig-Moscow-Filderstadt-Zurich-Linz-(Brighton)- Oakland-Philadelphia for a number of years, wasn´t it?

I think the fall was famous at that time. It´s fun that in the US it´s a fact that some people think the season ends after the Open whereas a number of players make most of their points indoors. It´s sad to see this part having gone to promote tennis elsewhere, especially Asia, with a number of European top stars rising again, such as the Serbian f.e.. It would be fun to reprise the typical indoor season again as it was a nice atmosphere.

It will be interesting to watch wether or not Stuttgart will be a success before the French Open as it is the first indoor clay event of that calibre.

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
Is it like playing on Grass?

·
Registered
29,563 Posts
I never really got to see carpet :speakles:

·
Premium Member
28,048 Posts
I played on carpet only once and it wasn´t good for me, the play was really fast, but the bounce wasn´t too low, i was surprised, because the ball bounced highly and this was big problem for me..i don´t think it was real carpet..it looked like a spume...i prefer hard or clay...grass and carpet are too fast

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts