Tennis Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

· Premium Member
49,550 Posts
Based on those stories shared above by other players, it is quite safe to say that Ostapenko shows a pattern of narcissism in her behavior (always blames others, it is never her fault, etc.)

… and that very same behavior is what made her a true champion. This has been observed by psychologists that the most successful people in their career (CEOs, neurosurgeons, heads of state, multiple champion athletes) showcase narcissistic tendencies in their social lives more so than most people.
I could also mention a lot of serial killers to you who were typically narcissic and megalo

· Registered
6,530 Posts
All the shit Woz takes for just saying what everybody understands in a second... certainly says more about the jerks of TF than Wozniacki herself.
I had seen Penko with Mirjana and there were smiles, hi fives and respect.
It is Wozniacki who was and always will be pure evil.
Have you been to school?

Reactions: Perun

· Registered
573 Posts
I could also mention a lot of serial killers to you who were typically narcissic and megalo
1. Narcissism is not the same as narcissistic personality disorder. Moreover, those serial killers have an added layer of psychopathy.

2. There is a huge difference between psychopaths and narcissists. Not all narcissists are psychopaths but all psychopaths are narcissists.

3. Narcissism is not the same as narcissistic personality disorder, is not the same as sociopathy, is not the same as psychopathy.

· Premium Member
49,550 Posts
1. Narcissism is not the same as narcissistic personality disorder. Moreover, those serial killers have an added layer of psychopathy.

2. There is a huge difference between psychopaths and narcissists. Not all narcissists are psychopaths but all psychopaths are narcissists.

3. Narcissism is not the same as narcissistic personality disorder, is not the same as sociopathy, is not the same as psychopathy.
All serial killers aren't psychpaths, and all psychopathes aren't narcissist, etc

Glad to hear you joining my reasoning that narcissism isn't necessarily the way to become a true champion - FAR from it. For example, you don't need to be narcissic to be confident, all the less to stay clever and smart.

· Registered
21,660 Posts
And Djokovic, and even the younger Federer. Rune has that attribute more visible in recent matches.

Notably, speaking of Wozniacki, she has showcased that in some instances, with her foot fault woes, alleging that she never has had a foot fault in her career ever, only to end up in a YouTube montage of her foot faults.
Wozniacki often displayed a mental maturity of a 6-years old kid. xD

· Premium Member
49,550 Posts
Regarding Jelena I'm not sure she's narcissic. She doesn't especially appear so to me. More like having some pride and a kind of childish ego. It helps to stay focused and not disturbed. I do think that regarding Jelena this kind of childish and stubborn ego doesn't help her in her matches. When she gets angry she doesn't improve her game, when she loses some temper she just stubbornly keeps trying to play her game without changing anything and it goes nowhere. Pretty much like Sabalenka in some way, though their personalities are different.

Most probably, Jelena will play her best in a tournament when she can actually stay focused without being disturbed or frustrated by anything, including that curious behaviour of blind protests against calls confirmed by the hawkeye.

· Registered
573 Posts
narcissism isn't necessarily the way to become a true champion - FAR from it.
Nobody has claimed that. Case in point is Rybakina. Rybakina’s behavior on court is far from narcissistic. That is not a requirement in becoming a champion. Being a narcissist helps. That is precisely the point. With Ostapenko believing that every on-the-line call is in for her – when the electronic results say otherwise – is that ultimate self-belief that helps her no matter how delusional.

· Registered
805 Posts
Nobody has claimed that. Case in point is Rybakina. Rybakina’s behavior on court is far from narcissistic. That is not a requirement in becoming a champion. Being a narcissist helps. That is precisely the point. With Ostapenko believing that every on-the-line call is in for her – when the electronic results say otherwise – is that ultimate self-belief that helps her no matter how delusional.
You could actually argue that it's exactly these qualities that made her underachieve in her career. They have hurt her, not helped her.
She's clearly very talented.
But if in your head, you're the best ever and if things don't go your way, then the problem is with the "things", then you will not make the necessary changes to improve or be reality oriented to actually make things happen. That's pretty much her problem in a nutshell.
Though I wouldn't call her a narcissist because of that.

· Registered
2,414 Posts
Ostapenko is a bit strange but you can't help but enjoy her when she's on. Wozniacki on the other hand... boring game and didn't like her personality at all.
Agree with all of this. Ostapenko is unique if nothing else. I respect and even at times like it when she’s not too obnoxious. Although I will add I was happy for Wozniacki when she won her only slam in Australia. She wasn’t a favorite of mine, but I respect that she had as strong a career as she did without major weapons in her arsenal compared to other greats in her era

· Registered
573 Posts
You could actually argue that it's exactly these qualities that made her underachieve in her career. They have hurt her, not helped her.
She's clearly very talented.
But if in your head, you're the best ever and if things don't go your way, then the problem is with the "things", then you will not make the necessary changes to improve or be reality oriented to actually make things happen. That's pretty much her problem in a nutshell.
Though I wouldn't call her a narcissist because of that.
She has won 5 titles, has a grand slam, is a slam semifinalist, also currently a quarterfinalist, with a prize money of around US$12 million. That’s better than more than 75% of the WTA players in the top 100. It’s working quite all right.

· Registered
805 Posts
She has won 5 titles, has a grand slam, is a slam semifinalist, also currently a quarterfinalist, with a prize money of around US$12 million. That’s better than more than 75% of the WTA players in the top 100. It’s working quite all right.
This argument is meaningless if you don't factor her talent.
For a slam winner at the age of 17, it is indisputable she has underachieved.
Maybe she achieved a lot relative to you or something, but that is in itself meaningless.

· Registered
8,046 Posts
This argument is meaningless if you don't factor her talent.
For a slam winner at the age of 17, it is indisputable she has underachieved.
Maybe she achieved a lot relative to you or something, but that is in itself meaningless.
She didn't win one at 17, she won her slam just after turning 20, but yes, she probably has still underachieved a little.

The only teens that have won slams this century are Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Swiatek, Andreescu and Raducanu.

· Registered
3,031 Posts
I believe the reason is that Ostapenko is not the ideal practice player. The way she plays her matches is the way she practices, she goes for the lines and does not give you any rythm. In practice players are looking to find their timing by hitting the ball back to each other more often. Ostapenko apparently doesn't do that. It's something that was talked about a few years ago where many players said they didn't like practicing with her.
And after practice, she told Caro that Caro is obviously an inferior player.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts