Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
81,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

google translate

Wozniacki: "I don't know if I will continue playing; I will think carefully about it"
In serious doubt. This is how Caroline Wozniacki goes through these days. The Danish, former World No. 1 and champion of Grand Slam, said she does not know if she will continue to be a professional tennis player.

After an irregular 2019, he was close to being out of the Top 40 of the WTA world ranking. At 29, with his love life resolved and the economic aspect still more resolved, he doubts about his immediate future. He had problems with an illness and now, in an interview with local Sport TV2, which reproduces the site Blog Tenis: Punto de Break | El tenis visto desde la grada, he left the door open for retirement.

Recently, her brother implied that Caroline would play in 2020, although she said almost two months ago that her goal was to recover to return slowly. Now he dares not answer the question about a possible goodbye to the circuit. “I still don't know if he will continue playing, it's something I have to think carefully. For now, I want to spend a pleasant family time. Whatever you decide, it was an amazing trip, ”confesses a woman who always made it clear in her career that she didn't see herself playing beyond 30 years.
The great surprise of the report came when he was asked for the most special moment of his career. “It is clear that winning a Grand Slam or being the number one in the world are huge achievements for a tennis player but, personally, I don't think there is anything bigger than being the main figure in Denmark. In this case, being championed in the Olympic Games. It's something really great, something I will always remember with a smile and a lot of pride. Something that one day I hope to teach my children, ”he recalled about his role in Rio de Janeiro 2016.

Wozniacki will always be one of the most important figures in women's tennis in the last 15 years. “In 2001 I didn't know what I was preparing for. I also didn't know how difficult everything would be or the amount of potholes that I would find along the way. There were many people who thought I was a little crazy to say that, to say that one day it would be the number one in the world, it certainly wasn't something we were used to in Denmark. "
The beautiful player finished: "There were always people who told me that it was something impossible, that I would not succeed, but I always had a lot of faith in myself." Without a doubt, a fighter, who now struggles, precisely, to define what to do your future...

·
Registered
81,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am under shock.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,129 Posts
It would be a shame if she ended her career like that, considering she mentions Olympics, I think the perfect farewell for her would be in Tokyo in late July. But that would mean missing US Open that has historically been her best slam.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
It wouldn’t be a surprise if she chose to retire but I hope she doesn’t, providing she can continue to compete at top level, health permitting.

·
Registered
112,700 Posts
She only reached a QF twice all of this year. So I'm not surprised. There's no reason to play at this level, unless like Venus, she loves to practice and play. Wozniacki is not a contender anymore, and she has to deal with an auto immune disorder where she cant have the practice routine she used to have.
She accomplished a lot and if she loves the game, she'll continue. Everything points to either she retires in Melbourne , during this offseason, or maybe she's thinking Olympics

I enjoyed watching her play, especially when she was healthy and ranked high. She gave full effort for hour and hours, day after day, week after week

·
La nuit je mens
86,902 Posts
Finally.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
As I mentioned in the CSN thread, most of the defensive players about 30 y/o will retire this year or next year.
CSN, Cibulkova, Errani, Woz, Strycova, Kerber and Stosur.
-
I always liked the great beauty Woz, even if she complained a little to much.

·
Rest in peace Bally
15,158 Posts
Gorl bye! :bigwave:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
She won a Slam just last year, it’s not she’s been irrelevant for some time... Even if she comes back and plays top 40 tennis, she’ll still make decent money in 2020...

But maybe she already has enough not to care about what she’ll make in 2020, even with prize money having gone up...

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
She’s pretty forgettable. I mean she won AO and we forgot two weeks later and then she randomly won Beijing and then did most nothing for 2019.

She’s not gonna have some resurgence with this attitude in 2020. Just call it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Such hatred!

Is everyone so jealous of her ability, her looks, her husband or what? The fact that she speaks seven languages fluently while most of us have to be satisfied with one? This is a player who has twice reached the absolute pinnacle of her sport, despite a chronic illness which nobody knew about until relatively recently, and STILL the TF crowd aren't satisfied?

All this bitching about her "boring" play and so-called "constant complaining" - what's next? You don't like her choice of socks? One tournament that will be devastated to see her retire will be my own home one of the ASB Classic. She has visited Auckland many times and stated, over and over again, how wonderful it is to begin the new year here. She is unfailingly polite, always cheerful (apart from when she loses, which is understandable) and has gone out of her way to do everything she can to promote the tournament all around the world, as well as making herself available for all sorts of events when she's here.

Like Julia Goerges, she is absolutely adored here, and there will a huge hole for someone to fill when she does retire.

·
Registered
15,887 Posts
Make it fast please.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
As I mentioned in the CSN thread, most of the defensive players about 30 y/o will retire this year or next year.
CSN, Cibulkova, Errani, Woz, Strycova, Kerber and Stosur.
-
I always liked the great beauty Woz, even if she complained a little to much.
How are Cibu and Sam defensive players? :confused:

I wouldn't exactly call CSN and Strycova defensive but I can see why to call them so.

·
Registered
10,878 Posts
I suffer from RA and I know how painful it can be to live with on a day by day basic, It would be sad to see her leave the sport on these terms regardless of what many ppl hate her for (game style, personality, etc.) but I would understand if she chooses to retire due to her health and wanting to start an family. Hopefully she at least give it an try in 2020

1 - 20 of 46 Posts