Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the whatever happened to category, I came across this item tonight. If you ever wondered what happened to Caroline Stoll, here's an update. It was surprising to discover she lives in my home state,or was at the time of this posting:

What's New

Posted on: Friday, October 5th 2007

The Enclave Welcomes Caroline Stoll, Director of Tennis

Caroline brings to The Enclave a world-class background in professional tennis and a successful career in directing, coaching, and instructing. Formerly ranked # 17 in the world, she is the holder of 3 world titles; The German Open, The Argentine Open, and the Montreal Indoor Classic. Caroline competed numerous times in Grand Slam tournaments; The U.S. Open, The French Open, and Wimbledon. She is also the holder of many National junior titles. As a high profile athlete, Caroline represented major sporting goods companies such as Nike, Ellesse, Head, Adidas, and participated in charity promotional events.

Caroline comes to us from New Jersey, where she was the Director and Head Tennis Professional for exclusive country clubs. She developed extensive tennis programs and specializes in event coordination and league tennis. Caroline’s competitive teams consistently won league match play, and because of her innovative and energetic coaching style, the teams were the most coveted to play for.

Caroline’s background is wide reaching. In her work with wheelchair tennis, she has been privileged to teach players of all levels and ages, stroke sufferers, and the #6, #9, and #13 players in the world.

Caroline is committed to making The Enclave a premier tennis facility. Details about our exciting new tennis program will be announced soon. Meanwhile, give Caroline a call at 912-234-3629 to learn more.

If this posting doesn't work, try this link: http://www.enclavesavannah.com/whatsnew.php

There is a picture at the link.

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
Thanks a ton Jem!

For some reason in my mind I was thinking that Caroline was the player who quit tennis and opened up a hot dog stand (I kid you not!).
That was Zenda Liess, but I always lump those two together in my mind, too. Both played very briefly, about the same time, and each shone brightly for about 2 tournaments before reverting to run-of-the-mill-dom.

·
Registered
452 Posts
blast from the past! i didn't know stoll got as high as number #17 in the world?! good for her!

in fact, the only remembrance i have of her is the 1978 u.s. open where in an early round match she gave eventually champion chrissie fits with her moonballing and extreme topspin on all of her shots.... perhaps the highest bouncing heaviest topspin of any player at the time so....

if memory serves me correctly, they played on either court 1 or court 2 which evert was not used to be on and of course the court was much smaller and the backdrops and seats alot closer to the players, thus...

chrissie who rarely took the ball on the rise, circa 1978(she got way better in the 1980's with hitting the ball on the rise and alot harder, plus with more variety) was literally hitting stoll's topspin groundstrokes up against the backdrop,a few times nearly hitting the backdrop so much topspin on stoll's shots,with chrissie pinned far behind the baseline, until she wisely stepped up and cut down the spin and angle and starting to hit on the rise as the match progressed, i believe the first set as tight 7-5, the second set chrissie had got her groove and smarted up knowing how to then play stoll's game and won the second set easy 6-1.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stoll had a great run on European clay in 1979. She reached the final of the Vienna tournament, losing to Evert after beating many seeds, then won the German Open the next week. Oddly, your description of her match with Evert fits the description of many of the women seeds who lost to her during those two weeks on smaller courts. Alas, Stoll went from German to the French Open, where she was bounced in the first round by -- drum roll -- Bridget Simon -- later Simon Glinnel. Stoll went on to fashion a pretty good career -- much better than anyone probably expected before retiring seemingly out of the blue.

Liess was one of my favorite players. If you Google her, you'll find an update on her life since tennis.

·
25,372 Posts
Jem-was Stoll the one who liked to wear a backward baseball cap and knee length socks when she was playing?

Thanks for the correction on Zenda "Hot Dog" Liess. She was a quarterfinalist at the 1976 US Open and then just gone! I just love her first name:)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jem-was Stoll the one who liked to wear a backward baseball cap and knee length socks when she was playing?

Thanks for the correction on Zenda "Hot Dog" Liess. She was a quarterfinalist at the 1976 US Open and then just gone! I just love her first name:)
That sounds familiar about Stoll and the baseball cap, but I just can't recall for sure.

As for Zenda, she had a few other good moments through the years. She reached the thrid round of the U.S. Open in 1977, losing a close two-setter to Kerry Reid. She also reached the semifinals of the Canadian Open one year and came close -- but no cigar -- to cracking the top 30.

I've been in touch with Zenda in recent years. She was a bit surprised that her 1976 U.S. Open run did not receive more attention and press, given that she was only a 16-year-old. There was a lot of intrigue in her match with Kerry Reid. Reid injured herself and eventually retired. But there was suggestion that the match would just be postponed and be finished the next day. Totally inappropriate. Zenda had to wait all night to know what the outcome would be, after she thought she had won the match.

I plan to be in touch with her again soon in hopes of sharing some of her tour memories.

·
25,372 Posts
Jem-I'm excited to see what comes out of your communications with Zenda.
Considering the relative lack of money in women's tennis in those days maybe her hot dog stand was a smart investment!

In a new thread I created on 1976 I posted an article about Renee Richards. Stoll was one of Richard's victims that week.

Caroline Stoll, a tiny 15-year-old who agreed to play in the Tennis Week Open after 25 of the 32 women players dropped out to protest Richards' appearance, got closest to the nitty-gritty. While walking off the court after losing to Richards in three sets, she looked up at her towering opponent and boldly asked, "Are you in it for the money?" "That's absurd, Caroline," said Renee. "I make $100,000 a year as an eye surgeon. Would you change your sex for $1 million?"

Later, after joining Richards at a press conference, the teen-ager voiced the one general sentiment that prevailed throughout the tournament. "Wow!" she exclaimed. "Did you see those forearms? That's where she gets all that power and spin on her serves. It's unfair."

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I remember Miss Caroline! Didn’t she have a wardrobe misfunction at some point or some sort of controversy around 1979? I remember being surprised at her loopy shots whenever she was shown on tv - which was probably only clips and never a full match. I LOVED anyone that could give Chris Evert fits up until around 1987.

·
Banned
294 Posts
Caroline Stoll was working at an indoor club about 8 years ago in NJ. Havent' heard anything since. I did run into a former coach of hers. Said the parents put too much pressure on her and she quit playing pro very young, in her 20s.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jem-I'm excited to see what comes out of your communications with Zenda.
Considering the relative lack of money in women's tennis in those days maybe her hot dog stand was a smart investment!

In a new thread I created on 1976 I posted an article about Renee Richards. Stoll was one of Richard's victims that week.
The ESPN documentary about Renee Richards in 2011 included an interview with Caroline, who spoke about that match, the crowd support she received and Renee's big feet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts