Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carlos Rodriguez: "Justine is better then Kim, and will win more often then her!"

Carlos quotes in bold...

Henin-Hardenne Denies Doping Rumors

Photo By Paul Zimmer By Adrianna Outlaw
09/11/2003

The all-Belgian U.S. Open final between Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters concluded with Henin-Hardenne conquering her compatriot for the second time in a Slam final this season, but the verbal volleys between the players' camps continue.

According to a Reuters report published today, Clijsters' father, Leo, was quoted in the Belgian press questioning Henin-Hardenne's physical appearance. Neither Leo Clijsters nor any member of the Clijsters' camp suggested Henin-Hardenne's added strength was due to doping or steroid use. Leo Clijsters, a former professional soccer player, was quoted as characterizing Henin-Hardenne's appearance as "unusual".

After arriving in Brussels on a flight from New York, Henin-Hardenne was asked about the comments by Belgian journalists. The second-ranked Belgian refuted the rumors and said she's ready to submit to a drug test to prove she's clean.

"I have never been tempted by doping," Henin-Hardenne told the Belgian daily Le Soir with her comments reprinted by Reuters. "My only doping is work. I am ready to undergo whatever test, wherever, whenever to prove that my body is clean. I do not take any product, whatever they might be, apart from the water and other energy drinks prepared by the WTA."

In recent years, the rigorous training regimen Henin-Hardenne has followed under trainer Pat Etcheberry, who has worked with Jim Courier and Pete Sampras in the past, has made her one of the fittest players on the WTA Tour. After her November 16th, 2002 wedding to husband Pierre-Yves, Henin-Hardenne spent more than a month training with Etcheberry in Saddlebrook, Florida. The results of that work were apparent weeks later when she survived a painful case of cramps, a 1-4 final-set deficit and Lindsay Davenport's history of dominance against her in scoring a 7-5, 5-7, 9-7 victory over Davenport in a fourth-round marathon match at the Australian Open.

Prior to her quarterfinal victory over Anastasia Myskina at the U.S. Open last week, observers saw the five-foot-five and 3/4, 126-pound Henin-Hardenne perform a series of agility, footwork and conditioning drills under the eyes of Etcheberry that were more extensive than some players' entire practice sessions.

Her conditioning — and fierce fighting spirit — helped carry Henin-Hardenne to a 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(4) comeback victory over Jennifer Capriati in a U.S. Open semifinal that was undoubtedly one of the highest-quality matches in years.

Carlos Rodriguez, who has been Henin-Hardenne's coach and somewhat of a father figure to her since she was 14, suggested the rumors may have been started by members of the Clijsters' camp because of Henin-Hardenne's success.

"In Belgium, what we are trying to do is to start a fight between these two girls," Rodriguez told Reuters. "I swear on the heads of my two sons that she has never taken doping products. In Belgium, we want absolutely to create a fight between the two girls. Justine is better than Kim and will win more often than her. In six months, Justine has become a different player, a lot stronger. I know that she works very hard but she is not the only one. All players, including Kim, work on their muscular force."

The top-ranked Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne grew up 14 miles apart and came together to lead Belgium to its first Fed Cup championship and are now separated by only 330 points in the rankings, yet their rivalry and continued controversial comments may be driving the pair further apart.

·
Registered
677 Posts
he's justine's coach,it's fair he said those things even if id don't agree.
justine has the best tennis,it's a pleasure to see her matches but my tennis heart has chosen kim and i think kim is as strong as juju,now maybe she feels too pressure playing vs juju 'cos when she plays vs the other players she plays in an amazing way.
i'm not sure juju will win often than kim.
the future will say who is right.
this is a duel between me and carlos rodriguez
:)

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Man...does Rodriguez like any of the other players on the tour?! :confused:

...but whatever he's doing seems to be working for Justine. ;)

·
Registered
11,975 Posts
I don't like that man!

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Justine is better than Kim, and that for right now she will win more than Kim, but that doesn't affect what Kim can do in the future because she can beat Juju on the faster surfaces if she can keep her wits about her.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
I think he should not say such things since that puts a lot of pressure on justine

novotna was also destinated to dominate steffi, well we all know what happened after chicago 92

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I don't think he should have said that.

But, I'm sure it was just to make the Clijsters' clan angry !

I don't like what he sometimes say (especially things about the Williams sisters), but this time i can understand his reaction.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ohh please, don't try to make carlos what he's not.
He was just angry at the clijsters clan because of all those bullshits about justine, so he responded with something like that.( this quote is 2 days old btw )

·
Registered
11,975 Posts
I don't like him because of his comments about Serena, Venus, Justine's father and family and now Kim :mad:

·
Registered
18,664 Posts
Well, apparently he's the only one that believes in Justine and defended her.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
In Belgium, what we are trying to do is to start a fight between these two girls
C'mon, who believes he (Carlos) is trying to start a fight between them? Replace it by 'they' and it makes more sense. The rest of the bold part has to be interpreted the same way IMO. Remember English is not Carlos' first language. if you alter every 'we' in the bold part by 'they' (the belgian people (press)) it seems more logical.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I think Carlos is only pointing out that people in Belgium are trying to start a fight between the two girls. Perhaps they are for their own purposes.

I think that from what Carlos has seen on the court he has the basis for saying that Justine is better and will win more. It's up to Kim to prove him wrong.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.