Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't find a topic about this, and I thought its a kind of big deal.. sorry if it's the wrong place

Chair umpire Carlos Ramos will not work Serena Williams' 2019 U.S. Open matches following their conflict in last year's final, according to the New York Times.

In a phone interview with the Times, Stacey Allaster, chief executive for professional tennis at the United States Tennis Association, said Ramos will be on this year's Open umpiring staff but will not be assigned to the matches of Williams or her sister Venus.

"We don’t need to go there," Allaster said. "There are more than 900 matches here over the three weeks, and there are lots of matches for Carlos to do."

Allaster also said the Open's officials don't want people to be distracted by Ramos and Williams being paired together on the court.

"We want to be focused on the competition and want to go forward," she said. "This is just for 2019. Let's just not put everyone in that spotlight. It's not necessary."

Ramos has not worked a match involving Williams since last year, where he gave her three code-of-conduct violations and docked her a point. Williams lost the final to rising star Naomi Osaka, 6-2, 6-4. She called Ramos a "thief" and "liar" and denied his claim that her coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, was cheating by communicating with her during the match. Mouratoglou later said he was sending her signals, but Williams said she didn't see them.

At the 2016 U.S. Open, Ramos accused Venus, whose professionalism is a tour standard, of receiving signals from her coach. She vehemently denied it.

According to the Times, it is unknown how much longer Williams and Ramos will not share the court.
https://www.si.com/tennis/2019/08/16/carlos-ramos-umpire-serena-williams-us-open-matches

·
Registered
112,699 Posts
Players can ask to not have an umpire they had some disagreement with

@ rennaestubbs
Here we go again kids! For everyone losing their minds over players requesting to NOT have a certain umpire on their matches, they have that right. I requested about 3 umpires to NOT do my matches again after problems & i was granted that request. It’s been happening forever!!

·
Registered
52,285 Posts
Players can ask to not have an umpire they had some disagreement with

@ rennaestubbs
Here we go again kids! For everyone losing their minds over players requesting to NOT have a certain umpire on their matches, they have that right. I requested about 3 umpires to NOT do my matches again after problems & i was granted that request. It’s been happening forever!!
Nadal also banned Carlos Bernardes from his matches:shrug:
Exactly... Nothing new here. :shrug:

·
always getting what i want
17,712 Posts
What does Venus have to do with it? :confused:

·
Registered
22,750 Posts
so the USTA chief apoligized to ramos after the incident last year, but he is now banned from any williams match at flushing?
wut is this shit even?? :spit:

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Does it work both ways, can the umpire of Nick Kyrgious R2 match this week have the player banned and put on his "black list" for when he works future tournaments??

·
Registered
81,436 Posts
And? :shrug:

·
Registered
81,436 Posts
It's the next proof that Serena's apology is a big fake. Just disgusting
She did that to Naomi. No to that horrible umpire.

He should get a lifetime ban for umpiring!

·
🔴27-04-19 ⚫
13,538 Posts
She did that to Naomi. No to that horrible umpire.
He should get a lifetime ban for umpiring!
More and more, I think you're actually a troll with a troll twitter account and all because I don't think that's possible that you really believe what you're saying, I just don't.

·
always getting what i want
17,712 Posts
Serena knows she was wrong. That's why she got therapy, to cure her guilt.

·
Registered
23,088 Posts
Does it work both ways, can the umpire of Nick Kyrgious R2 match this week have the player banned and put on his "black list" for when he works future tournaments??
Nick has been having beef with Murphy for a while now, I remember seeing their drama at WB too, dunno if it was R1 or R2
maybe even not WB but definitely a grass tourney

tbh, a lot of Murphies decisions were questionable and the double standard was way too obvious a lot of the times, like you are an umpire, you need to be profesional no matter if it's Nick or Rafa and treat them the same from the beginning, but then again, special treatment from umpires has always been the case and even though I like that Nick is bringing attention to it, I hate that he is so childish and bratty, can't stand it

·
Registered
25,063 Posts
Read the article. The article doesn't say anything about Serena having him banned. He accused Venus of unprofessional behaviour, and the article says nothing about her having him banned either.

This may have been a decision by the USTA.

Don't worry, there will be another set of Black sisters for Ramos to accuse of unfair play. This should satisfy you Ramos fans, right?

LOL!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 171 Posts