Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've heard the name referenced occasionally on the board. 'Anna K. before Anna K.' Here's the lastest on the Canadian tennis queen.

<a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_wertheim/news/2001/11/06/wertheim_insider/" target="_blank">Carling Bassett</a>

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
OK I am bumping this from over 2 years ago but I found this picture of Carling nowadays and she looks really good still! You could almost mistake her for Mary Pierce. She is about 39 now.

Attachments

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
I think the first Anna was georgous Gussie Moran from the 1950s. I think she was the first to model Teddy Tinling's lace knickers. :)

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
TSN, had a doc on her that has been shown many times,and it really wasn't modeling that was her prob,but the death of her father.That seemed to send her career into a tailspin...then she went got pregnant at 19. :rolleyes: I think shes' 36 not 39.

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
who did she fuck to get pregnant?i didnt know she had kids?!

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,474 Posts
She has 3 kids with Robert Seguso former ATP top doubles player.

Her demise in the tennis world was really a combination of her father's death and her battle with bullemia which spanned several years beginning as a teen. :sad:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
What were her results?

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Carling was a good player but never quite lived up to what was initially expected from her.

Her highest ranking was #8 back in 1985. She had good grand slam results. She reached the quarter finals of the Australian Open, the quarter finals twice of the French Open, the 4th round at Wimbledon and the semi finals at the US Open. Those were her best slam finishes.

She won 2 singles titles on the tour ( Pennsylvania in 1983 and Strasbourg in 1987 ) and 2 doubles titles ( Tampa in 1984 and 1985, first with Elizabeth Smylie and the following year with Gabriela Sabatini. )

Her biggest wins were her three wins over Hana Mandlikova and she managed a win over Zina Garrison. She was 9-0 down inhead to head with Chris Evert but 4 of those were three setters. She was 6-0 down to Navratilova who always crushed her.

As Randy says it was her father's death and her fight with bulimia that led to her downfall.

She had her three kids with her husband Robert Seguso. She did do a lot of modelling too as well as starred in a tv movie. Her family is very wealthy - they owned a leading brewery amongst other things.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
I always think of her as, like, 50 years old because she quit so long ago. She's still quite a young woman if she's only 36 - that's about the same age as Kylie Minogue. She should still be playing doubles at that age.

It pisses me off when people have to retire so young for physical or psychological reasons. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts