Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carla :sad: Hope she can go out with a bang.

Single handed backhand is pure poetry, plays with so much flair.

I think she did well to get to 6 in the world tbh, overcame the choker tag to nab a few titles and beat top players consistently too.

7QF at slams not too shabby either

Troubled all the top players apart from Serena?

Just went to double check the career high on her ITF profile, what the hell have they done to the site? It’s unusable, just about found her profile.

Anyway. As of now

Career high : 6
Seven QF appearances at slams
2 WTA titles

·
Registered
17,330 Posts
Re: Carla Saurez Navarro To Retire At The End Of 2020

I was right at the end of 2018.
She was done.
What a pity.. What a talented player wasted... What a headcase... What a backhand...

·
Registered
7,717 Posts

Career of 17 years, more than 10 million in prize money, 2 WTA titles, made QF's at 3 out of the 4 Slams, made the top 10.

Maybe apart from the title count I actually think she got the most she could out of her career and abilities.

·
Registered
39,829 Posts

This is sad, Carla is a headcase but has such a nice game, perhaps if she flies back up the rankings she might change her mind, good luck in 2020 :)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

And she has come out too :cheer:

·
Registered
30,768 Posts

When tf did she get to number six in the world :spit::spit::spit:? I think she is very talented but I completely forgot she had gotten to the top ten, though I agree it is also shocking she only won two titles (so far).

As others have said, what a head case. I was a big fan early on in her career because of her beautiful backhand and talent but totally jumped ship after her series of pathetic efforts against top ten players around 2012. With more self-belief she would have had a very legitimate chance at winning a slam.

·
Registered
18,967 Posts

I've always loved and still love her game. When on, it is very fluid and her one handed BH is just so fluid, and she hits the half volley topspin on that side with graceful ease. The takeback is minimal but she gets such good control. She did have trouble with the really heavy ball bashing types in particular, or Serena, who'd take away her time but she could really hit a mean ball on her day.

Her match against Vinci, Ostapenko in Doha and against Svitolina in Madrid are some of my favourites from her. Also her USO run beating Garcia and Sharapova!

·
Registered
8,487 Posts

When tf did she get to number six in the world :spit::spit::spit:? I think she is very talented but I completely forgot she had gotten to the top ten, though I agree it is also shocking she only won two titles (so far).

As others have said, what a head case. I was a big fan early on in her career because of her beautiful backhand and talent but totally jumped ship after her series of pathetic efforts against top ten players around 2012. With more self-belief she would have had a very legitimate chance at winning a slam.
Based on Miami and Rome Finals in 2015 + Australian Open QF and Doha Title in 2016.

·
Registered
81,485 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

This probably won't go down too well here (and I can already envisage certain posters champing at the bit...), but while of course we all have our favourites with their own unique style, and it's a sign that we are getting older when these more experienced players go, but unless these players bring bums to seats, or inches to newspapers like Serena, Maria, Venus, or other big name slam winners, then I'm generally OK with these older players like CSN, Flipkens, Petkovic, Lepchenko, Parmentier etc. gradually making way for the likes of Gauff, Rybakina, Swiatek to push towards the top 50 and beyond, and those just outside the top 100 currently waiting to break in.

Maybe a little harsh on Carla because she has been top 30 pretty much all year until her injuries, and a seed at all the slams, but I did/do get the impression that her best days were more behind her, and it would be harder for her to maintain that ranking going forward. That said, I hope she can get back to fitness soon, end with a decent year, and perform well at her most favourite events for (probably) the last time.

·
always getting what i want
17,713 Posts

oh no. shes the one genie beat at rg qf 2014

hope she has some good results next season to finish off strong

·
Registered
28,572 Posts

Carlita :awww: You will be missed!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts

The best Journey woman of the past 20 years tbh.

Quite the resume she built.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

CSN is still ranked 55, thought it was much worse.

All it takes is a few good events and she might change her mind.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts

:sad: Loved her game.

Who's her g/f in that photo?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts