Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of the year, there were huge fights on this board about Jennifer's fitness, with some people criticising her fitness, and others defending her claiming she had a different body and bone structure.

Well, I thought then she was not fit, particularly because we had all seen where she could be fitness wise. Now look her at the US Open. She looks so much better than she did in Australia, she looks great and she is playing great as well.

Moral of the story? Observations about player's fitness or weaknesses are not necessarily bashing.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Jenn feels less fit only when she loses.:yawn:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But still she looks better than she did at the Australian Open. She still has room to move to the level she was at when she won Roland Garros.

Basically I just find it odd that people could have been vehemently defending her at the Oz open as fit!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
okay, pleez pleez don't get mad at me. I'm a fan of capriati. but when I saw her at the open on saturday, I thought she looked a bit heavy in the tummy... every time they posted her pic up there on the jumbo tron.. well, maybe it was just the outfit she was wearing was not the most flattering....

I went to the open with a friend who doesn't watch too much tennis and the first thing she commented on was perhaps that jen could afford to lose a few pounds.

I agree, she is playing well. but I just don't see her nearly as fit as Kim or Justine...

I don't think jen is FAT.. but I do think she has slowly gained weight over the past 18 months and I do think she would be just a half step quicker if she lost a couple here or there.

okay, i'm ready for people to jump all over me.. .

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Jakeev said:
Whatever bitch you are just jealous cause Jenny could hogtie you in tenseconds before you even knew what hit you........
:lol: :lol: f*%@ING HILARIOUS!!!

Jen wasn't @ her previous level of fitness at the AO following her layoff for eye surgery. She wasn't a big COW as many people here made her out to be either. :fiery: She looks great right now, and her movement and mobility are the same if not better than AO 2001, plus she has added some more muscle to her arms and esp. her shoulders--- which has helped with the serve. At the end of the day, I am 100% sure that Jen is in 10x better shape than anyone on this board.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Jen claims her belly is as hard as a rock, but it jiggles when she walks. What kind of rocks jiggle? She certainly doesn't look as trim as she did in 2001 IMO. Regarding her fitness, she seems fine to me.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
CapFan#1 said:
:lol: :lol: f*%@ING HILARIOUS!!!

Jen wasn't @ her previous level of fitness at the AO following her layoff for eye surgery. She wasn't a big COW as many people here made her out to be either. :fiery: She looks great right now, and her movement and mobility are the same if not better than AO 2001, plus she has added some more muscle to her arms and esp. her shoulders--- which has helped with the serve. At the end of the day, I am 100% sure that Jen is in 10x better shape than anyone on this board.
I agree with you that she has added more muscle to her arms and shoulders.

andI agree that she could kick my ass any day of the week. that doesn't mean that i can't comment on her physical fitness. my fitness and Jennifer's fitness have nothing to do with each other.

my only point is that jen is ranked about #8 right now. I don't think that there is a lot that is separating her from the top five, but as an elite athlete, I do think that if she trimmed down just a bit, it might give her just another half step or another bit of endurance to really contend for titles again. yes, I know she won pilot pen, but she has not really be in the mix for major titles for a while. but she COULD be. there are just a few little things she could be doing better. and one of them is working even harder on her fitness.

now I'm off to eat a donut ;)

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
simply as an observation i would have to say that i think she is looking less toned than she was when she was at her peak, and perhaps a little less since wimbledon. i think you'll find you just goes up and down and it's not that big of a reflection of her actual fitness.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
RAA said:
I agree with you that she has added more muscle to her arms and shoulders.

andI agree that she could kick my ass any day of the week. that doesn't mean that i can't comment on her physical fitness. my fitness and Jennifer's fitness have nothing to do with each other.

my only point is that jen is ranked about #8 right now. I don't think that there is a lot that is separating her from the top five, but as an elite athlete, I do think that if she trimmed down just a bit, it might give her just another half step or another bit of endurance to really contend for titles again. yes, I know she won pilot pen, but she has not really be in the mix for major titles for a while. but she COULD be. there are just a few little things she could be doing better. and one of them is working even harder on her fitness.

now I'm off to eat a donut ;)
:lol: that is funny!

Jen is actually ranked #5 right now with her USO results so far, and only Momo can knock her back down to #6 if she gos further than Jen (which is not going to happen since Kimmie is gonna kick her ass!) Jen has worked harder on her fitness and it shows right now, fuck she trained with Tampa Bay football team for 2/12 weeks this summer when her shoulder was hurt and her trainer has been at every event with her this year since IW. She hasn't been contending for majors because of mental issues, but that also has turned the corner as she is winning 3 set matches again and has ranked up some good wins!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Whoever thinks that Jennifer is not overweight, they are either blind or in denial. And while it is possible to be in a decent playing shape (speed- and stamina-wise) with all this excess luggage and still beat 99% of the tour players, Jen is far from the optimum that is necessary to return to the No. 1 spot. I am sure that with a true renewed committment to fitness at the top level (as everything else is already in place), Jen could reclaim her position at the top. The problem is though that she seems content where she is and does not really want to give up the "glamorous" lifestyle of partying and good food.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Lelu said:
Whoever thinks that Jennifer is not overweight, they are either blind or in denial. And while it is possible to be in a decent playing shape (speed- and stamina-wise) with all this excess luggage and still beat 99% of the tour players, Jen is far from the optimum that is necessary to return to the No. 1 spot. I am sure that with a true renewed committment to fitness at the top level (as everything else is already in place), Jen could reclaim her position at the top. The problem is though that she seems content where she is and does not really want to give up the "glamorous" lifestyle of partying and good food.
Overweight? Please, you have discredited yourself. For a woman that is 27 and 5'8", her ideal weight would be between 131 and 165 pounds. Surely Jen falls right in there , probably around 150. Overweight is what, 30 pounds? Jen would have to be 190 pounds to be overweight.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Lelu said:

i'm a jen's fan but i succeed to see what u've seen and i agree with u.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Keith, your "standards" may apply to the general population. We're talking world class atheletes here, where the fat-muscle mass proportions can determine the difference between being a contender or a pretender. Jen's body fat percentage should be in the 10 to 12% range, whereas, just by looking at her exposed body parts, I can guarantee that it is at least 20%. So, yes, I stand by my statement that Jennifer is overweight and I don't feel discredited one bit.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
In general I think the debate over Jenn's fitness is a lot of nonsense.

I think that Jenn is at a fitness level as high as a tennis player can possibly sustain when they their primary objective is to practice hitting tennis balls, not to pump iron or grind themselves to a pulp on the treadmill.

In 2001 her fittest period was at the Australian Open. By Roland Garros she'd lost some of her muscle tone having had less time to prime herself mid-season.

Like Mauresmo, who's a more formidable player than in 1999 in spite of losing her muscle tone, Jenn's schedule as a professional tennis player could not possibly have enabled her to sustain the fitness level she attained in early 2001. Unlike Amelie, however, Jenn's form has dropped - and people try to make correlations with her fitness level. The fact is, Jennifer has two problems, neither of which are her fitness level or her court coverage.

Firstly, Jenn has very rhythmic groundstrokes. When her confidence is down, you can literally see the hesitation and doubt creep into her shots - the rhythmn is is not longer there. Secondly, Jennifer's serve has been a liability for most of the second part of her career (I didn't see her as a teenager often enough to remember her serve). In 2001 her first serve was a moderate weapon, and her second serve was a lot less tentative than it is now. Since late 2001, however, Jennifer's serve has been poor by any standards, and certainly not worthy of top 3 status in the world rankings or indeed grandslam championship trophies.

But Jennifer Capriati's movement is still for me a joy to behold. She has the most powerful first step of any of the women other than Serena Williams. In some ways I even prefer Jenn's movement to the Williams' as although she doesn't cover quite as much court, she has simply superb balance and strength on her backfoot, enough to make the Williams' look clumsy.

Other than Venus and Serena, I would still place Jennifer's athleticism above that of Kim and Justine. The problems lie elsewhere in Jenn's armoury.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.