Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Davenport said that VENUS is the best.
Hingis admitted that VENUS is still the one to beat.
And VENUS states that she always believes that she is the best when she is on the court.

As Hingis was a little empty at no. 1 without any GS title wins in 3 years, Capriati may also be a little empty with the top ranking and having been defeated every time she has faced the Diva of Tennis.

I would think that the answer would be "Yes".
But, with VENUS in the second ranking spot, Capriati should get her chances to show her stuff in at least one event before Roland Garros and possibly a real GS final facing VENUS in Paris in June.

Until that time, however, I believe that Capriati will be a little unfullfilled at having never beaten the #2 ranked player on the tour.

In the meantime, the count is love 4.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
A victory over Venus is something she's missing that's for sure. But she has won 3 majors with Venus in the draw. You can't poke holes in those titles on the grounds that Venus wasn't there. It's not her fault Venus didn't get to the final. J. Cap has also conquered players in the draws (like Martina, Monica) whom Venus could not conquer at that time. J. Cap will beat Venus sometime, I'm sure of that, but lacking even one victory over the Big "V" is certainly a hole in her record so far. But I don't think the failure to beat Venus compares to being No. 1 without a slam for a couple of years either. I wouldn't call her ranking into question solely on not beating Venus. When you win 3 majors with a very hard and largely full fields, and beat several top players, it doesn't really take away that one top player eluded you all three times, imo.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Celeste - Agreed, Capriati has absolutely earned her titles and ranking. But VENUS has not eluded or ducked Cappy, she beat all four times that they played.
Cappy would surely feel beter at being no.1 if she would have at least defeated all of the top ten players at least once over the last couple of seasons.
But, this looks like it may lead to a Roland Garos final with big TV ratings, eh?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'd love to see a Roland Garros final between them! Neither would be nervous I think, they both have won multiple slams. I don't think either has an advantage over the other on this surface. J. Cap will have added confidence that she has won this title before and she HAS to be hungry for a defeat over Venus, but Venus will have the confidence over her winning record over J. Cap. J. Cap is gutsy and has had Venus on the ropes at least once, but Venus isn't as "bad" on clay as people believe, she has those two Hamburg titles and the one Italian Open title, with wins over Martina at one, and I think an uninjured Pierce in another. I think it would be a good match up that either player would win. Maybe it will happen! But maybe not. We'll have to wait and see!

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
I would agree with one little exception.

I would formulate it more complex way:

Capriati's #1 is valid BUT would be empty in case she is unable to defeat VENUS on ALL surfaces, including Clay and Rebound Ace.
As it follows, it is Venus that SHOULD be capable to survive in the tournaments long enough to meet Capriati not only on Venus's favourite American hardcourts and almost extinct grass.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Celeste - VENUS will be very hungry as well to get that Roland Garos title that I believe that she has desired for some time because I think she has gained some sort of an afinity with the French and their culture.

It it comes to fruition, it could be the match of the year.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Jennifer needs a win over Venus to validate her #1 label. She has the grand slam, the repeat grand slam, and the game. The only final I'd rather see other than Jenn and Venus is Serena vs Venus.

I do think that both Venus and Jennifer will be hungry for the title. I don't know if confidence will decide the final should it occur, but I won't even guess who would win between the two. That red clay seems to have a mind of its own.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Venus is the one to beat? LOL! I'd say Hingis is the one to beat, maybe Capriati, so far this year. When did Hingis say that? Did she ever?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I just think it is not good sportsmanship to lessen someone else's wins. Kudos to the Lioness for winning her 3 majors. I can't wait to watch another Venus and Jennifer encounter...possibly in Miami again:drool:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Capriati's #1 will be empty until she can defeat Venus

Jen Cap must be still piching herself after getting that win at the AO...honestly I didn't think she'd be around for the final (and a lot of other people did too) she had played up until that day some pretty shoddy tennis against real lesser lights...but she got lucky ..she did hang in there and to her credit played an exhausted Martina in the third set...hello! She should have been under the shade of the old apple tree looooooong before that! But it happens, total collapses in sports...the unknown enigma!!
But getting back to beating a healthly Venus....I don't think barmaidso..unless she improves her game a hell of alot!!:eek: :bounce:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
If we stopped trying to equate the ranking system with a determination of who is the absolute best, then it would certaintly cause less confusion.

Jenn is number one, cause she earned it, and she has the slams to back that up. Before hand it was Martina didn't deserve it because she didn't have the slams - now we have ONE of the people who have split the last seven, and that STILL isn't good enough.

She who sits at the top of the rankings is determined by some simple number punching - does it make her the best? Not necesarily.

But to say her number one is empty is silly. Not beating Venus doesn't make her ranking any less. It just means she hasn't proved she is the absolute best.

And I have a sneaking suspcion that she isn't losing any sleep over the matter.

However - I think a Jenn-Venus Roland Garros final could definately be a good one - though I'd prefer Hingis-Justine ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
O COME ON!!!!!! FU** U Tirex!!!!!!

Your Claiming that Venus is the number ONE now????
WAKE UP!!!!!
Jeniffer just won AO, which she did'nt even get to the semis.
Venus defeated Jennifer in surfaces she liked.
I'm just wondrin if she could even win a set over Jeniffer in Clay and rebound Ace.

VENUS being number ONE over Jeniffer is completely ridiculous!!!!!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
VivalaSeles said:
There is no rule, there is no law that only allows for the validation of number 1 unless one beats a certain player... saying her number one needs validation or is not true, it's just poor sportmanship.
Jennifer has to beat Venus in order for it to be valid to me. Rules and laws don't govern my personal opinion. I do.

What does sportmanship have to do with anything?

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Anyone who gets to number 1 deserves it.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
KC said:
Anyone who gets to number 1 deserves it.
Agreed. Congrats to Jennifer.

It's just that in my mind, I don't think she's able to play the best tennis on the tour. Don't get me wrong, she's excellent, no doubt. But by beating Venus, I'd say, yeah Jennifer is capable of performing at the highest level out there.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Sorry guys, but if I just won my third major in three sets in 118 degree heat, and got to #1 along the way, I could care less if I beat Venus. Jenn showed up for the final. It was Venus who didn't. Let's be serious. Do any of you Honestly think Jenn will spend two seocnds thinking, 'What a pity Venus wasn't good enough to last long enough in this major to play me?'

·
Registered
600 Posts
This is just stupid.

Last summer, I could have said, by the same token:

Venus still needs to erase her LOSING record against Hingis to prove she is the better player.

(Although Martina is playing better now, think in context of last summer. Sounds REALLY stupid...)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
VivalaSeles said:
"Jennifer has to beat Venus in order for it to be valid to me. Rules and laws don't govern my personal opinion. I do.

What does sportmanship have to do with anything?"

My answer could be exactly the same. I rule my own opinion. And it is my opinion that people who do not recognise the achievement of getting to number one and try to diminish it one way or the other are just showing poor sportsmanship. I doubt Venus herself would ever make statements such as yours.
That's fine, VivalaSeles, I want to hear your opinion. The difference is that I'm not going to criticize you or call you a poor sport for doing so.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
RockSteady said:
This is just stupid.

Last summer, I could have said, by the same token:

Venus still needs to erase her LOSING record against Hingis to prove she is the better player.

(Although Martina is playing better now, think in context of last summer. Sounds REALLY stupid...)
And had you said it last summer, that would have been fine. I doubt many people would've bought it, but it would've still been fine as an opinion.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts