Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center>
</center>

HONG KONG (AP) -- Jennifer Capriati rallied to beat Elena Dementieva of Russia 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the final of the Hong Kong Ladies Tennis Challenge exhibition tournament on Saturday.

The 25-year-old Floridian, who defends her Australian Open title later this month, needed 1 hour, 39 minutes to dispatch Dementieva.

Dementieva built a 4-3 lead in the third set before Capriati won three straight games to clinch the victory.

``I didn't play my best, but I still managed to come through. I served well in the end,'' Capriati said.

``I feel a bit better now than last year. I have more experience going into Australia. I feel confident.''

Capriati said she had trouble adjusting to the sunbaked court after playing her previous two matches at night.

``The ball was a bit heavier and I felt a bit sluggish at first,'' Capriati said. ``Elena came out at first with all guns blazing and she did to me what I did to my previous two opponents. I had a bit of a let up in the second set and I was feeling confident in the third set.''

1 - 1 of 1 Posts