Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jennifer Capriati has been one of my favorite players for many years.

Nobody was more thrilled when she won her first slam, and I think she has proven herself to the tennis world.

After watching her this year, I ponder:

Is her current game good enough to win another major?

Current answer: Yes, with a little luck of the draw - and the other players.

Five years ago, power was the game. Everybody wanted to hit like one of the big babes. Jennifer has some of the best strokes in the game, and one of the sweetest forehands I have ever seen, (when she is on).

What is missing? Variety. She seems to play a one dimentional game most of the time. It is about power and hitting her opponents off the court.

In early rounds against the less experienced - this is going to work.

In later rounds - this will not be as effective.

So, here is the point: Again, she has nothing less to prove to the tennis world.
If she wants to just be a solid top 10 player with her game as it is - I think she will still make the Qtrs of most events.

However, if she wants to be #1 or #2 in the world - she will need to add variety, find more angels on the court, improve her first serve, and keep her fitness up.
I think getting another coach would help to get a fresh and new perspecitve, but I know that is a sensitive topic to her....

I think she still could do it. The real question is: Is she satisfied just being #8 in the world? She has enough trophies....

Jennifer will have to be the one to answer that by what we see from her. I am thrilled that she has helped to make women's tennis exciting. Would love to see her hoist a U.S. Open and a Wimbledon trophy to add to her collection!

·
Registered
390 Posts
How old is Capriati? 27? With respect, I think it's too late for her to "evolve". She had her chance to introduce some measure of variety and firm up the serve. Even Stefano I belive admits the serve "is what it is"... and I think for that read the rest of her game too.

And I'm honestly not being harsh, but when you say 'she has enough trophies'... not lately she doesn't. Aside from her 3 GS wins (I'm sure that soothes a lot of any pain she's feeling!) she's won only won title - Charleston 2001? - since whenever.

There's time yet for Jennifer, but it's going to be by using the tools that she already has.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point.

Well her last 3 wins have been grand slams - but I am sure she would like to be in the winner's circle.

She has an event next week - a smaller grass warm up.

Really hoping that she makes a good showing, so that she will get her confidence up.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
yeah me too but Davenports just signed up too which could be tough but if she could beat Lindsay she will gain confidence for Wimbledon :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I would certainly agree that a lack of variety does hinder Capriati at times, because when you look at who has consistently beaten her in the last couple of years it's been the players who do use variety, mix up the pace and throw something different at her, ie Henin and Mauresmo. Clijsters had zero success against Capriati by trying to beat her at her own game until this year, and even then she nearly choked away the match after missing matchpoints in the second set in Berlin.

Mind you, when you consider that Petrova managed to out-slug her recently during Roland Garros, and that Davenport has a huge winning record against her, it shows up another drawback - both those players have hefty serves to back up their groundstrokes, whereas Capriati's remains a liability. I reckon she'll still be able to beat those ranked lower than her for the rest of her career, but the best of the best may be a gulf in class too large to surmount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts