Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
American hopes to finish on own terms

A lone figure walks the corridors of Palm Beach's exclusive Tennis Academy. A shadow moves slowly and a woman emerges, albeit with slight confusion. Not since 2004 has she had to go through the routines of practice, but now, its all starting to come together.

Jennifer Capriati has had a long road back to recovery, although according to her, even now she is still 'not fixed'. Her words, describing her injured body: Including surgically repaired shoulder,fractured wrists, and a body prone to hip and back problems. No matter, she refuses to give up, and has decided to make one final comeback. One last push for a grand slam trophy. At least thats the plan.

"I just want to feel that excitement again" Capriati muses, "I hate being out here watching these girls play, knowing I should be out there winning... its been hell". Capriati hasnt figured out when, or even if, she is able to compete again at the pro level. Capriati insists it must be on her own terms. "I dont want this to be the end. Obviously I know im not finished, I think I can win still."

Capriati mutters under her breath, "Im not that old! I have stuff to do out there".

Her lifelong coach and father Stefano assures me she's not finished either. "For sure, I believe in my daughter, she a fighter. Who knows? She is strong, she gonna be fit too, she not done, no way".

As Capriati struggles to find her way back, she has enlisted the help of former coach Harold Solomon. He works her body over for several hours each day, testing, seeing if the stuff that propelled this 31 year old floridian to worlds #1 still exists. Capriati's camp continues to be coy about a set date. Capriati herself suggest it could be at any time, god willing, of course.

By John Laurenitis 2007

(i got this in the mail, local tennis mag)

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: hopefull capriati article!!!!

ya its pretty vague tho, it doesnt say shes coming back, just that she wants too...seems like shes still struggling, but hey, at least we know shes trying....*good luck jen!*

the tour needs u!

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Re: hopefull capriati article!!!!

thanks alot for the great article! hopefully her body will allow her to come back.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Now Lindsay retired (so I thought) I would love to see Jennifer give it one more go and retire on her terms but only if she fit to do so. She deserves one more chance.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Ah good luck Jenn! I hope she can make it back! If Hingis can come back and make Top 10. Jenn can easily!
It's hard to compare them, but I agree that if Jen comes back she could get back into the top 10 and win some titles. I hope it's soon though. While 31 isn't too old, it will just get tougher to come back every year.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
jenny baby please come back.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've missed you a lot Jenny! I'm expecting her comeback will be in 2008.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
thanks for that. It was a poorly written article but I do hope she comes back, America needs a star that isn't a Williams sister again :p

·
Registered
39,699 Posts
I miss her although I was never a really big fan of hers. She brought excitement to the game. It'd be great to see her back, but somehow I don't really believe it is possible...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
WAHOO and Jen is also working with Harold Solomon! cant wait for her return, and can t beleive how badly injured her body is :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts