1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated: 09:34 AM EDT

Tennis-Wimbledon-Capriati snaps after one-sided defeat
By Ossian Shine, Reuters

LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) - A well of frustration and disappointment bubbled to the surface after Jennifer Capriati suffered her most one-sided loss to Serena Williams in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
The Floridian's sunny smile was replaced by a dark and brooding countenance as she picked apart the remnants of her game following the 6-1 6-1 defeat.

The much-anticipated three-set tussle never materialised as Serena exacted revenge for Capriati's French Open quarter-final win earlier this month in just 45 minutes on Centre Court.

The anticipation had clearly got to Capriati.

"I mean, when everyone's talking about it so much, it's very hard to just go out there and just completely focus on tennis," she sighed. "You know, it's like I can't walk around with earplugs in my ears, you know.

"But what can you do? You've just got to do your best not to think about it or have that come into play because it does add more tension.

"It's just very difficult to tune everything out. So, uhm, just that's the way it goes sometimes. Not everything is always going to be the way you think it's going to be.

"So maybe if you wouldn't talk about it so much, it would have been a better match, I don't know.

"The rivalry speaks for itself. You don't have to even talk about it. It's just there, you know, the people can see it for themselves.

"From the first press conference, from the first match, it's already talking about the quarter-final match. You shouldn't. Each match at a time.

"We can drop it now ... we can drop it."

Capriati was entirely overwhelmed by her opponent and had no answers to Serena's power and precision.

"She just played too good today ... she kept the level up," the 28-year-old reflected.

"I would say today is probably one of the best that she's ever played against me probably.

"I don't think I really had much of a chance to get into the match and play. I was just feeling so much pressure from her coming off the baseline, the serve.

"Basically that's what her game plan was -- to tee off on everything, and she was on ... so, really, I just couldn't even get the rallies going."

06/30/04 09:33 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Capriati snaps after one-sided defeat

Source:
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14604,-4261791,00.html

Poor Jen. :sad:

Wimbledon-Capriati snaps after one-sided defeat
By Ossian Shine

LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) - A well of frustration and disappointment bubbled to the surface after Jennifer Capriati suffered her most one-sided loss to Serena Williams in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon on Wednesday.

The Floridian's sunny smile was replaced by a dark and brooding countenance as she picked apart the remnants of her game following the 6-1 6-1 defeat.

The much-anticipated three-set tussle never materialised as Serena exacted revenge for Capriati's French Open quarter-final win earlier this month in just 45 minutes on Centre Court.

The anticipation had clearly got to Capriati.

"I mean, when everyone's talking about it so much, it's very hard to just go out there and just completely focus on tennis," she sighed. "You know, it's like I can't walk around with earplugs in my ears, you know.

"But what can you do? You've just got to do your best not to think about it or have that come into play because it does add more tension.

"It's just very difficult to tune everything out. So, uhm, just that's the way it goes sometimes. Not everything is always going to be the way you think it's going to be.

"So maybe if you wouldn't talk about it so much, it would have been a better match, I don't know.

"The rivalry speaks for itself. You don't have to even talk about it. It's just there, you know, the people can see it for themselves.

"From the first press conference, from the first match, it's already talking about the quarter-final match. You shouldn't. Each match at a time.

"We can drop it now ... we can drop it."

Capriati was entirely overwhelmed by her opponent and had no answers to Serena's power and precision.

"She just played too good today ... she kept the level up," the 28-year-old reflected.

"I would say today is probably one of the best that she's ever played against me probably.

"I don't think I really had much of a chance to get into the match and play. I was just feeling so much pressure from her coming off the baseline, the serve.

"Basically that's what her game plan was -- to tee off on everything, and she was on ... so, really, I just couldn't even get the rallies going."

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Pretty fair assessment- and just imagine what could happen if Serena learns to incorporate effective net play with that baseline and service precision attack...

·
Registered
245 Posts
My God! When I saw the title, I thought maybe Jen was feeling so suicidal
after her abysmal performance that she threw a hissy-fit in her press con-
ference! Or worse--that she pulled out a gut and went postal! :p

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
esquímaux said:
As always, Liz you are the post queen :lol::D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Anne K. said:
My God! When I saw the title, I thought maybe Jen was feeling so suicidal
after her abysmal performance that she threw a hissy-fit in her press con-
ference! Or worse--that she pulled out a gut and went postal! :p
I meant a GUN!! But maybe that post was a subconcious thought surfacing....

:devil:

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
It´s been said time and again...Serena CAN´T be beaten from the baseline anymore and specially not on the faster surfaces...your only hope is to catch her on a slow surface or on a bad day...

alfa, that s & v just isn´t serena´s nature imo...

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
:lol: @ post queen.

I'd be sick of hearing too, if I were Jen. She'll get over this loss and be ok.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
lizchris said:
"I would say today is probably one of the best that she's ever played against me probably."
Sad but true! :sad:

·
Registered
142 Posts
lizchris said:
Updated: 09:34 AM EDT

Tennis-Wimbledon-Capriati snaps after one-sided defeat
By Ossian Shine, Reuters

06/30/04 09:33 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

at least she's honest contrary to her fans who still think that she beat herself
hello ??? Jen was outgeneraled today...

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
bandabou said:
It´s been said time and again...Serena CAN´T be beaten from the baseline anymore and specially not on the faster surfaces...your only hope is to catch her on a slow surface or on a bad day...

alfa, that s & v just isn´t serena´s nature imo...
Don't sell her short, boo- Pete Sampras started out as a baseliner with a two-handed backhand, and made up his mind that he wanted to win Wimbledon and play the classic all-court game like Rod Laver, and he (with the help of Pete Fisher) worked very hard at making it happen for him. Granted, Serena (and Jen and most of the girls) will have trouble giving up that 2-handed backhand propensity, however, there is no reason why Serena can't learn how to hit a slice approach shot, and use it effectively- even on clay. It's a matter of continuing to grow her game. She's obviously not through growing her tennis yet- all things are possible with that kind of attitude, and she has the hands to be able to volley very well, and so does Capriati. Why not? The world is her oyster.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Where's the snapping part? Did I miss it?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think Jen's GS winning days are over.She can't seem to handle ANY expectation or hype anymore.

Hopefully, she can get a fulltime coach to straighten her out.Maybe she should give Carlos Kirmyre a call...remember what he did for Sabatini's career.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,233 Posts
Abdoul said:
at least she's honest contrary to her fans who still think that she beat herself
hello ??? Jen was outgeneraled today...
So now that ya'll have Saddam back, wha'cha gonna do with 'em? :confused:

Reactions: hollywood7172

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Actaully, it doesn't seem like she "snapped" @ all. This response is consistent with her personality. She's a real human being who just seemed like she was irritated.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Pureracket said:
Actaully, it doesn't seem like she "snapped" @ all. This response is consistent with her personality. She's a real human being who just seemed like she was irritated.
:worship:

She is showing her disappointment. I would rather she be REAL and say what's on her mind instead of some bullshit answer that would please everyone else. You go Jenny. :hearts:

Reactions: bigshow21
1 - 20 of 56 Posts