Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
not really? A wins a win but this shouldn't have gone to 3 sets, as bovina isn't very consistent. Something isn't right with jenn. She lost her edge and she has to go to 3 sets with a mediocre player like Bovina. Dont get me wrong, Bovina is good, but not the calibar that jenn use to be

·
In my new place!!
22,957 Posts
Its a good win for Jen to get through mentally, regardless of whom she was playing. Plus considering she hasnt played in a while, thats preety much what was expected. She pulled it out, go ahead Cappy!! :bounce:

·
Registered
547 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
not really? A wins a win but this shouldn't have gone to 3 sets, as bovina isn't very consistent. Something isn't right with jenn. She lost her edge and she has to go to 3 sets with a mediocre player like Bovina. Dont get me wrong, Bovina is good, but not the calibar that jenn use to be
Jen has been injured most of the summer, at this point any win is a good win going into next week.

·
Banned
31 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
Yes, Lena isn't consistent...

But maybe that means she played well tonight?

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,888 Posts
You can like it all you want, Leena.. There is nothing pretty in a loss, never.. Capriati who hasn't won a tough match against top 20 player for ages gets a hand from Bovina.. :mad:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't know apparantly Bovina was on fire in her first round match against molik, perhaps she was able to find some consistency? Plus this is Jens first match back from injury since stanford, we'll just have 2 wait and see, what the report says tomorrow

·
Banned
31 Posts
ys said:
You can like it all you want, Leena.. There is nothing pretty in a loss, never.. Capriati who hasn't won a tough match against top 20 player for ages gets a hand from Bovina.. :mad:
Hasn't won a tough match against a Top 5 player...

With the exception of Nadia at RG, and her endless trouble with Alex last year... Jen always has handled players in Lena's range.

Nothing to be ashamed about on Lena's part.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
lena is good enough to beat some of the top 10 players however she hasn't really had that breakthrough, she is yet to defeat a top 10 player. she has pushed davenport to 3 sets a couple of times annd now jen, she even pushed mauresmo to 3 sets last year in new haven 7-6 in the 3rd, she's also beaten myskina in straight sets (this year in sydney). she is capable of winning these matches, whether it is consistency or mental she needs to find a way to fix it so she can gets these wins. i'm a little dissappointed because capriati is coming off and injury so i expected elena to win.

nice win capriati, now beat pistolesi.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Gowza said:
lena is good enough to beat some of the top 10 players however she hasn't really had that breakthrough, she is yet to defeat a top 10 player. she has pushed davenport to 3 sets a couple of times annd now jen, she even pushed mauresmo to 3 sets last year in new haven 7-6 in the 3rd, she's also beaten myskina in straight sets (this year in sydney). she is capable of winning these matches, whether it is consistency or mental she needs to find a way to fix it so she can gets these wins. i'm a little dissappointed because capriati is coming off and injury so i expected elena to win.

nice win capriati, now beat pistolesi.
Gowza,

Conchita Martinez #5 - 2001 Indian Wells 2nd rd

Jelena Dokic #4 - 2002 US Open 2nd rd

Anastasia Myskina #11 (she ended up being #10 after Sydney, so it kinda counts :p) - 2003 Sydney 1st rd

Thanks.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,888 Posts
Devilizmo said:
Gowza,

Conchita Martinez #5 - 2001 Indian Wells 2nd rd

Jelena Dokic #4 - 2002 US Open 2nd rd

Anastasia Myskina #11 (she ended up being #10 after Sydney, so it kinda counts :p) - 2003 Sydney 1st rd

Thanks.
Martinez never did well on US hardcourts, Dokic was just about to plunge in rankings, and Nastya can lose to anyone on a bad day. Give me a Williams, Davenport, Capriati, Belgian or Mauresmo scalp, then we talk.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
didn't know about the martinez one. but dokic tanked it and myskina was coming off a shoulder injury and not playing that well.

capriati, davenport, mauresmo, clijsters, henin and the williams sisters are the big players and bovina has pushed three of those (capriati, davenport, mauremso) to pretty tight 3 set matches. i'm saying she is capable but she hasn't made the breakthrough yet, i'm allowed my own opinion.

·
Banned
31 Posts
ys said:
Martinez never did well on US hardcourts, Dokic was just about to plunge in rankings, and Nastya can lose to anyone on a bad day. Give me a Williams, Davenport, Capriati, Belgian or Mauresmo scalp, then we talk.
Gowza said Lena never beat a Top 10 player... and I corrected him.

I agree that Lena has never had her "breakout" win (at least in official tournies, because her win over Venus was still impressive).

Lena is finally back to full strength the last couple weeks with mono... so you can throw away her awful year so far. Be patient, the results will come. We know she has the game... and I know first-hand that she has the dedication and fighting spirit to do it. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.