Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Jennifer Capriati was replaced by Venus Williams this week as the No. 1 women's player in the world.

Capriati took a step toward reclaiming the top spot by winning her first match in the State Farm Women's Tennis Classic on Thursday, beating Alexandra Stevenson 6-4, 6-4.

Capriati, the top seed and Australian Open champion, advanced to a quarterfinal match Friday against No. 6 Barbara Schett, a 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 winner over Tina Pisnik.

``I'm No. 2 now, and if I win this weekend, I could be No. 1,'' Capriati said. ``It just keeps changing. You don't really know who is No. 1.''

Williams isn't playing this week.

Stevenson is the only player to beat Capriati this year, knocking her out of the second round last month in Sydney.

``It feels good to get revenge,'' Capriati said. ``It kind of erases that loss for me. It shows you're only as good as your last set.''

Stevenson started out well, leading 3-1 in the first set before Capriati broke her serve. Stevenson also led 4-2 in the second set.

``It was pretty pathetic,'' Stevenson said. ``It was just a bad day. You can't really blame it on anything.''

Schett struggled more than expected against Pisnik.

``At the moment, I'm not really confident out there,'' Schett said. ``I'll have to play a lot better against Jennifer.''

In a night match, Nathalie Dechy beat fourth-seeded Meghann Shaughnessy 7-5, 6-2.

Shaughnessy, a Scottsdale teaching pro, and No. 5 Lisa Raymond, who was beaten by Ai Sugiyama on Tuesday, were the only seeded players who failed to advance to the quarterfinals.

``It's always hard to play somebody who is the local person,'' said Dechy, 5-0 in her career against Shaughnessy. ``I really tried not to focus on that. I've beaten her so much, it helped my confidence.''

Dechy will face seventh-seeded Francesca Schiavone, a 7-6 (5), 1-6, 6-2 winner over Tatiana Panova.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts