Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 603 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi CIGAW. I notice from your posts that you like things on the R&B tip. I hope that I am not being too forward by singling you out (as I am new to the board).

My absolute passion is music. My roots are house and acid jazz, though I have come to appreciate R&B more.

MY R&B favorites are
Jill Scott
Angie Stone (Mahogony Soul is incredible)
Erykah Badu
India Arie
Maxwell

There are often incredible house bootlegs that come out of their tracks once in a while, which I cane to death when i play out.

My soul gods are Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson:)

Have you tried/do you like:

Brand New heavies (acid Jazz)
Incognito (acid Jazz)
Young Disciples/ Carleen Anderson (acid jazz)

MJ Cole (2-step garage)
Wookie (2 step garage)
Artful Dodger (2 step garage)

Soul II Soul/ Carleen Anderson (UK soul)
Kenny Thomas (UK soul)
... and heaps more.

Are you into house at all? Let me know if I am being a bore, but it would be nice to find someone in here to talk music to...

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Yeah I love RnB I like Maxwell, India Arie, Sunshine Anderson, Mcy Gray, D'Angelo, they're all cool.

Soul II Soul they bought it to the next level, Back to Life is just wicked, I've always been a big fan of The Brand New Heavies, Midnite at the Oasis, Sometimes very cool.

I'm a big fan of Beverly Knight very undervalued, I think Craig David is doing ok in the states, his album has went gold and 'Fill Me In' got into the Top 20.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Nothing like Miss Toni Braxton. I could just sit by a fire with someone u love and listen to her and be in the mood all nite:)

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
yeah secrets is the sexest album ever, just smooth and it gets u in the mood!!:D

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I totally agree and I love "You're making me high." Ummmm. just gets me going thinking about it. lol

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Oh yeah very sexy 'I'll always think of u inside of my private thoughts, I just can't imagine u touching my private parts', yes indeed. :eek:

and talking in his sleeep and let it flow.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys, thanks for posting. I thought this thread died a lonely death. Candy, Acid Jazz is a combination of soul, and Jazz, using a lot of the elements of Jazz, but putting m,ore structure to it. If you get a chance, try Brand New Heavies, Incognito, and James Taylor Quartet.

Rightous, you have great taste in Music. My favourite BNH tracks are Sometimes, Never Stop and Stay this way.

I also love Sunshine Anderson (I can't believe I left her out). Rightous, are you from the US. A lot of great acts from the UK seem to have a very hard time crossing over.

As an entree into house, have you tried any of the Naked Music CD's. These have incredibly soulful vocals and basslines on them. If you feel like branching out, have a listen at your record shop.:)

Kindanice, you should check out Angie's new CD Mahogony Soul. It is awesome.

Does anyone have the Jazamatzz CDs feat Guru? He uses incredible guest vocalists on these.

One the first one, he had DC Lee (from Style Council), N'dea Davenport from BNH, andCarleen Anderson etc. On the second one he used Jamiroquai, Chaka Khan, Shara Nelson, Mica Paris. On the latest one, he used Erykah Badu, Angie Stone, Craig David, Kelis and many more.:D

Does anyone like De La Soul, Jungle Bros, and A Tribe Called Quest. I tyhink that modern Hip Hop is too serious, and not fun like these old Skoolers.....:)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Timmbo, Miss Toni Braxton created magic when she teamed up with Frankie knuckles. You're makin me high, Unbreak my heart, and I don't want nto, were her moments in the sun. I also didn't mind He wasn't man enough for me:eek: . But she has had some real lulus as well. I still don't understand Spanish Guitar!;)

Rightous, I just read your profile. You're from Ireland, not the States. If you like Soul II Soul, the lead singer they used on a lot of their tracks, in the early 90's called UK Blak and Beach of the war Goddess. Therre are probably 2 good half albums on these. The good tracks are GREAT!

I also love Lisa Stansfield and Alison Limerick.....:)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just read my last post .STUPID INSERT BUTTON! What I menat to say that Caron Wheeler, the lead singer of Soul II Soul released 2 solo albums in the early 90's called UK Blak and Beach of the War Goddess. Check them out if you like Soul II Soul...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Craig David

I don't know much about house music or what not but I just wanted to answer about Craig David. He's really not that big in the states. His songs you will hear on the radio sometimes but he's not popular like Usher or Sisko.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Yeah I'm from the Great island of Ireland, its very urban u know!!!!lol

I can't believe I forget Kelis, her Kaliescope album is amazing, so funky and groovy and gets u moving. U can't forget Mary J the orginal Queen of sorrow, Sade is pretty amazing.

Yeah I've heard a few of Carol stuff, its sounded good I may check it out!!

Have u heard of Lucy Pearl there last album was the deal , really cool and real mellow, it was definetly kicking.

Yeah I'll try and see if I can get a hold of the Naked CD's I'm always looking for new things.

Toni's Secrets album was so sexy, but I liked 'The Heat', Gimme Some, Just be A Man about it, The Heat were good songs I think she had to move on and bring in a bigger beat into her songs but kept that soul edge. Yeah Spainish Guitar, I don't exactly know how u play a Spainish Guitar but it must be good!!!!;)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Internet Lover. Thanks for the update on Craig David. Maybe he will join the list of UK acts that fail to break the US. I thought with his R & B sensibilities that he would have a chance. I know it takes a hell of a lot of work to cross over.

Rightous, I haven't heard the Lucy Pearl album, but the Mood II Swing mixes of Don't mess with my man were very good. Do you like Lisa Stansfiled? Her new album Face Up is really good but it will bomb on the charts I think, because people don't like this type of music en masse. Do you like Drizabone? Their mid 90s album Conspiracy is really good. I also love Innocence. Check out their two albums. They are two of my favourite albums ever...

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
hey, i just noticed this thread and thanks for singling me out ;)

i'm not much of a music fan and i haven't heard any of the musical acts/artists you've mentioned.

and you're right, i like R&B and some rap and jazz.

some of my favorites are: Erykah Badu, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige, Lauryn Hill, Aretha Franklin, Maxwell, India Aire, Jill Scott, the Jackson 5, Chet Baker, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Missy Elliot, Nelly, and most of all, as my name suggests...Jay-Z

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
I like everyone you mentioned especially The Heavies and Soul II Soul. I'm a perpetual clubbie so I've been through most of the phases especially the House period of the mid 80's to the early 90's.

My house anthems were:

"Move Your Body" - Marshall Jefferson
"I'll House You" - The Jungle Brothers
"Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald

In trip hop/ambient I like Portishead and Massive Attack.

Not real crazy about Techno/Trance. It lacks soul.

In Hip Hop/R&B my faves include but aren't limited to Maxwell, D'Angelo, Jay-Z, Nas, Mister Cheeks, Faith Evans, Erykah Badu and then old school of course like everyone from The Ojays to The Force MDs.

It's all gravy. :cool:

<EMBED SRC='http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=354338732/pagename=/RP/SHARE/soundclip.html/itemdescriptionid=1259975/disc=1/track=8/source=MP2/mpeg=2/mp2.mp2' VOLUME='90' HEIGHT='60' WIDTH='144' LOOP='infinite' AUTOSTART='true' HIDDEN='true' Pfont size='-2'Music>

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
This is a great thread! I love almost all the music that everyone's mentioned.

Lucy Pearl is really good. The group is made up of former members of Tony Toni Tone and Dawn from En Vogue. If anyone's interested in checking them out I recommend: "Dance Tonight" and "Don't Mess with My Man".

I LOVE Brand New Heavies! I just wish they were more popular here in the States. My fav by them is the remix of "Spend Some Time" -- an absolute must if you like BNH. I also like "Sometimes" and "Never Stop".

Lisa Stansfield has an amazing voice. She's another one that's not popular in the States. People here only know "Been Around the World" if even that. I didn't even realize she had a new album. Not all of her albums are released here, but I guess that doesn't matter now -- I can just download.

Nuyorican Soul is another that I guess would fall into the acid jazz category. I haven't heard much of their music, but I really liked "Runaway" from a few years back. It was a cover of a 70's disco song. They didn't venture far from the original (which is also good) -- their version is just a little jazzier.

I'm always looking for great soul/dance/house/acid jazz music -- so any recommendations would be great.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
G-Ha the original version of "Runaway" is done by the Salsoul Orchestra. I wasn't familiar with Nuyorican Soul's version until now
(I searched for it online) --- and you're right; it's faithful to the original. :)

If you like classic house, look no further than Marshall Jefferson's "Move Your Body"!!!

Also, I love Angie Stone's 2 albums. "Mahogany Soul" is a great follow-up to "Black Diamond". KindaNice "No More Rain" is beautiful and a clever use of Gladys Knight sampling! :)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had lost all hope about this thread. Thanks for replying CanIGetaWhat. It was actually you (or St Jude) on the old board who mentioned Jill Scott that made me go check her out last year. And boy am I glad that I did.

Beige, I also hate trance/techno, and especially hardhouse,gabba, etc. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!. It's turgid, soulless, and just mindless, but it seems to be sweeping the world. Sasha, Digweed, Timo Maas, Oakenfield YUCK FOUL FOUL FOUL (I had to get that off my chest)

Are you from the states, Europe, or elsewhere.

What sort of house are you into? Some of my favourite house producers are:

Derrick Carter
Miguel Migs
Inland Knights
Franke Knuckles
Luke Solomon and justin Harris (Freaks)
Kerri Chandler
"old" Kings of Tommorrow
and too many more to mention.

My favourite House DJs are:

Derrick Carter
DJ Heather
Freaks
Miguel Migs
Tony Humphries

As you can tell, I like really deep dubby house, not florally vocals.

I am 31, and have been going out since 1988, and playing here and there since 1995. We have a cluster of good house DJs here in Melb. We also have terrible house DJs as well (i'm really not into Bob Sinclair, Daft Punk, Dimitri from Paris, tenaglia, or Vasquez etc.) From your house anthem list it seems like you are an old skooler as well. (I could never compile a list. There would be thousands, and I would agonise over it so much, I would be sent off to a mental institution).

I also love Massive Attack (who wouldn't). I never got into Tricky's solo stuff though- too dark for me!

G-Ha, at last. My mole for the US. I go to NYC every year, and check out what's going on. I thought that there would be NO ONE in the states that would understand this music. So many great acts have found it impossible to cross over to the states.
G-Ha, we all cross our fingers and toes that the BNH have one more album in them. After N'dea Davenport left the band, and the Sedia Garrett album bombed (she was unfairly made a scape goat), they released "Saturday Night" with Carleen anderson at the helm. I think they recorded a whole ablum with her, but it never got released. I hear rumours that N'dea has returned to BNH, and that they are recording a new album. N'dea sings on the latest Roger Sanchez single.

G-Ha, these albums might be hard to find, but you Need to get the following albums if you like soul/acid jazz

Young Disciples album
Conspiracy- Drizabone
the tow Innocence albums- one of them is called Build, and I forget the name of the other
There is an Incognito greatest hits out at the moment (their cover of Stevie Wonder's "Don't you worry about a thing" gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it)
Face Up- Lisa s\Stansfield- her latest album is a return to form

There are heaps more, but I don't want to scare you off with my enthusiasm.

Apart from the US artists I mentioned, a lot of US R&B leaves me for cold. Either it is too drippy, or its too stuttery without much song....and it is very corporate sounding. I would love some more R & B tips, as I am not too educated in it.

Apologies for going on and on. I am just so glad that there are some people on this board that are into the same music as me...:)

1 - 20 of 603 Posts