Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If this happens, the lulz will be non-stop and definitely fantastic, but please isn't there anyone better for us poor Canadians? :tears:

Rumors of Sarah Palin as Canadian Ambassador Met With Hilarious Outrage | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community
Rumors of Sarah Palin as Canadian Ambassador Met With Hilarious Outrage

'If the Captain of Chaos wants to disrupt everything—including resetting relations with little ol' Canada—Palin would be the one to break the china'
by
Lauren McCauley, staff writer
17 Comments

Sarah Palin "represents the descent of politics," wrote the Ottawa Citizen's Andrew Cohen. "We see today a direct line from Palin to Trump. Politically, Trump is Palin's child." (Photo: AP)
Rumors that former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin could be the next ambassador to Canada have been met with a resounding "No Siree," as Canadians this week have erupted in a chorus of (hilarious) outrage.
The backlash erupted after White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Wednesday refused to rule out the appointment when questioned directly.
"We have no additional ambassador nominations or announcements to make on that front," Spicer told reporters. "I'm sure at some point we will have, soon." Canadian Prime Minister Justice Trudeau is expected to meet with U.S. Donald Trump on Monday.
Several Canadian lawmakers swiftly responded with their own thoughts on the reports.
"Well that would show how little Steve Bannon and his pal @realDonaldTrump think of Canada," Member of Parliament (MP) Charlie Angus wrote on social media. Fellow New Democrat Nathan Cullen said Palin's appointment would be "tantamount to having to deal with two Donald Trumps," according to CBC News.
"She has never been very comfortable with the truth," Cullen told reporters on Thursday. "Couldn't recognize it most mornings if it jumped up and knocked her on the head."
In a searing op-ed, Ottawa Citizen columnist Andrew Cohen argued that the appointment would not be out of the realm of possibility for Trump and warned that if appointed, the former vice presidential candidate and reality TV star "would bring her traveling carnival to Canada."
"If the Captain of Chaos wants to disrupt everything—including resetting relations with little ol' Canada—Palin would be the one to break the china," Cohen wrote. Palin, he continued, "represents the descent of politics. We see today a direct line from Palin to Trump. Politically, Trump is Palin's child."
Should she be appointed, Cohen concluded, she would remind Canada, "lest we forget, of our new life through the looking glass."
As the rumors percolated, other neighbors to the north took to Twitter to voice their opposition and to revel in the morose comedy of it all.

I love my fellow Canadian comedians...

:sobbing:

·
Lifetime Member
3,966 Posts
Pro-Refugee Trudeau Set to Bite His Tongue on Trump Visit

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-13/refugee-embracing-trudeau-set-to-bite-his-tongue-on-trump-visit

The now-45-year-old Canadian prime minister -- hailed by Joe Biden as one of the last champions of liberalism -- heads to Washington for his first meeting with Trump, 70, whose bellicose statements and immigration restrictions reveal a deep gulf between the two leaders. They will meet privately at the Oval Office, attend a roundtable with women executives and a hold a joint press conference at 2 p.m.

But U.S. liberals hoping for Trudeau to emerge as Trump’s foil shouldn’t hold their breath. He’s already bit his tongue and focused almost exclusively on an economic relationship that accounts for three-quarters of Canada’s exports. The White House visit will test just how far Trudeau can go to woo the president and preserve trade without selling out his core values.

“We both got elected on commitments to strengthen the middle class, and support those working hard to join it,” Trudeau said last week. “And that’s exactly what we’re going to be focused on.”

He has little choice. Nearly two-thirds of all Canadian trade is with the U.S., the highest ratio of Group of 20 nations and quadruple all but Mexico. Almost all of Canada’s oil goes to the U.S. and most of the country’s manufacturing is geared toward meeting U.S. demand. Americans hold C$2.3 trillion ($1.8 trillion) in Canadian assets, almost exactly the same amount held by Canadians in the U.S.

A Deutsche Bank AG report this month that looked at the potential impact of Trump policies on all the U.S.’s major partners found Canada would be among the hardest hit, forcing the country to cede about $70 billion in trade to the U.S.

The threats to Canada from Trump’s agenda go beyond trade. Trump has shown an interest in overhauling the U.S. tax system in a way that would impose financial disincentives against imports. The border-adjusted tax plan would focus levies on domestic income and imports while exempting exports and offshore income. It has met opposition from retailers and oil refiners but is supported by major exporters. It’s unclear whether the president fully favors that approach.

·
Banned
1,395 Posts
Re: Pro-Refugee Trudeau Set to Bite His Tongue on Trump Visit

Trudeau unreasonably accepting muslim "migrants" with no rules and regulations and causing unnecessary danger and burden to Canada and Canadian society - a very bad move
Trudeau visiting Trump and talking to rightfully elected president of major neighboring country - a very good move.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Re: Pro-Refugee Trudeau Set to Bite His Tongue on Trump Visit

Shouldn't this be in my Canadian Politics thread?

:eek:h:

I hope my boy Justin takes a few rounds out of Drumpf...

he could whoop his ass!

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
O'Leary is very worried, he said Trump vs Trudeau negotiations will be like Gozilla vs Bambi...

Yup, and Trudeau is the Godzilla... Drumpf is just a whiny little bitch pussy grabber.

:p

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Damn, you're always so on the mark, I mean seriously, how do you come up with these completely insightful revelations?... that are completely wrong. Canada actually takes all the PhD's and MBA's etc. that the USA boots out of their country as soon as they graduate... just because they are foreign students and their visas run out. Plus, with Drumpf in power, we are getting all the best and brightest from around the world... America is getting stuck with all the retards, which of course will help the Republicans in future elections. Here, do some reading...

Forbes Welcome

Job Searches and applications from around the world (including America) are way up in Canada since Drumpf took office and, according to my buddies at StatsCan, are up even more since his ridiculous attempt at a travel ban.

We need O'Leary like we need a hole in our head... we don't want our country filling up with racist retards, America might get jealous.

That Forbes article was from Nov. 9 :wink2:

Just freaked out liberals reflexively looking to Canada to allay their fears.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
the Conservative Association of students at my university invited O'Leary to give a speech/Q&A period.

I'm slightly interested because most of his policies reflect his lack of experience in the field of politics at the same time, I commend him for including in the debate the discussion of issues that matter to Millennials and being aware (as he has given a few of these university conferences by now) that the Conservative party needs the youth vote as well to succeed and appeal to the incoming generations. Pursuing a more socially aware and progressive social platform tied with a conservative fiscal agenda might just be the key to get him the Conservative leadership.

I'm still 100% wary of his competence though + I wouldn't want to find him in the driver seat when the Liberal backlash pours in at the next election and find the country run by a twit.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That Forbes article was from Nov. 9 :wink2:

Just freaked out liberals reflexively looking to Canada to allay their fears.
Ummm, yes, right after he won, like I said. Are you confused about when he won the election? Maybe you thought it was last June? :scratch:

... and since you seemed to miss it, StatsCan has said the numbers have further increased since his attempted travel ban.

You really need to learn how to read AND comprehend dude.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Trump created thousands of jobs in Canada by overturning Obama's decision on Keystone XL pipeline. But when his tax cuts and deregulation start taking effect jobs start fleeing from Canada to USA. The Rust Belt gets what they voted for and will vote Trump again in 2020.

·
Registered
25,214 Posts
Does Canada have a phrase similiar to “¡Pobre México! ¡Tan lejos de Dios y tan cerca de los Estados Unidos!”?

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Does Canada have a phrase similiar to “¡Pobre México! ¡Tan lejos de Dios y tan cerca de los Estados Unidos!”?
Yeah, except our's goes, Poor Canada, so close to the Elephant that we have to follow it around picking up all the shit it leaves...

and the shit is sure piling up these days :eek:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I wish the Conservative Party of Canada hadn't combined their most and least tolerable factions to form something that I simply cannot imagine myself ever voting for. I really do wish I had more options than the Liberals and the NDP. The extreme edge of the Conservative Party is never going to pull away from a socially conservative agenda, even if the face of the party does - and when asked to chose between my values and pocketbook, I go with my values. Again - deeply unfortunate. I understand why they did it, but wish the Reform and Progressive Conservatives had never combined - the country was richer when we had more options.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
I wish the Conservative Party of Canada hadn't combined their most and least tolerable factions to form something that I simply cannot imagine myself ever voting for. I really do wish I had more options than the Liberals and the NDP. The extreme edge of the Conservative Party is never going to pull away from a socially conservative agenda, even if the face of the party does - and when asked to chose between my values and pocketbook, I go with my values. Again - deeply unfortunate. I understand why they did it, but wish the Reform and Progressive Conservatives had never combined - the country was richer when we had more options.
This is so perfectly stated. Financial conservatism - no problem, I respect that, could definitely see myself voting for them. Social conservatism, even a watered down version compared to Republicans in the USA, is a no-starter.

41 - 60 of 166 Posts